bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9059

Quote Originally Posted by bradthebloke View Post
    was that the guy that slapped the reporter in the face?
    Sure was.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57565

Loved him back in the AWA days up here in the Midwest. Nick Bockwinkle, the Crusher, Dick the Bruiser, Road Warriors -- Great stuff! RIP Mean Gene...

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by 7deuceoff$uit View Post
    I've never seen a photo or video of a "young looking" Mean Gene. It's like the guy spent his entire life looking 50 years old. RIP to the legend.
    lol great point. Quite possibly that's how he looked at 20? lol

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Shoutout to Super Dave Osborne, he passed away today as well.
    Use to love the Super Dave Osborne show on Showtime. Had no idea he played a role in Curb Your Enthusiasm. Wow.

I just remember being 10 or 11 years old and saying to myself... who is this crazy nut? lol

Time just keeps on going...

JayTris07
    JayTris07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

RIP Mean Jean or as the Iron Sheik would say, Jean Mean. Loved your interviews.

Man you know you're getting old when everyone you grew up watching on TV are passing.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

RIP Mean Gene.

I worked directly with Gene's relatives when they developed "Mean Gene Burgers" and "Mean Gene Pizza". Every Friday we would have free pizza in the break room. Most of it was pizza combinations that hadn't been put out to the public yet so we were their guinea pigs.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

A true legend. RIP.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Use to love the Super Dave Osborne show on Showtime. Had no idea he played a role in Curb Your Enthusiasm. Wow.

I just remember being 10 or 11 years old and saying to myself... who is this crazy nut? lol

Time just keeps on going...
    Yeah Super Dave Osborne show,very nostalgic mate. Don't like to see all these guys from are childhood die off,depressing.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 01-02-19 at 06:48 PM.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Heaven got new entertainment, that’s for sure. He can interview all the greats that went before him. Gotta be some great parties up there, if it exists.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

R.I.P. sir

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

Legendary professional wrestling announcer "Mean" Gene Okerlund, 76, has died. Okerlund set the bar high in the industry early in his career, being called a "measuring stick" for those following in his path. He was known for his over-the-top interviews with wrestling talent, as well as his close relationship with Hulk Hogan. "He was the interviewer to go to when you wanted him to talk to these talents … he was the guy that you wanted sticking the microphone in their face," said WWE analyst Justin Labar.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

local guy remember meeting him in the siesta key village long time ago super nice guy

Voice of professional wrestling interviewed nearly all of the legends of the sport.
    SARASOTA
    There was always a big giveaway when Gene Okerlund entered a room in Sarasota, or anywhere else in the world.
    It was the voice. And not just any voice. It was a loud, yet smooth, tone that many grew up listening to for decades.
    The WWE Hall of Famer, one of the most well-known interviewers in sports-entertainment, died Tuesday morning in Sarasota at age 76.
    “Mean Gene,“known by wrestlers and fans alike, was the voice of World Championship Wrestling, making the move to the WWE in 1984.
    There he became well known for asking tough questions to some of the biggest names in the sport including “Macho Man” Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan. He wasn’t limited to just interviews and even sang the National Anthem prior to Wrestlemania in 1985.
    Okerlund also hosted and was the Master of Ceremonies for several shows, including Monday Nitro, All-American Wrestling, Tuesday Night Titans, Wrestling Challenge and Prime Time Wrestling.

In 1993, Okerlund joined WCW but returned to the WWE in 2001 to call the Gimmick Battle Royal at WrestleMania 17 along with Bobby “The Brain” Heenan.
    The long-time Sarasota resident continued to appear on WWE television programming, including as a cast member on WWE Network’s Legends’ House.
    Former WWE wrestler and host of The Genius Cast podcast Lanny Poffo visited Okerlund about a month ago at his home in Osprey. Poffo said that Okerlund’s hand was swollen to about four times its usual size due to symptoms from edema that were associated with his kidneys. Okerlund had a kidney transplant in 1996 and later underwent another transplant.
    During that visit Okerlund recorded an intro for the podcast in his familiar voice that served as the soundtrack for hundreds of wrestling fans over several decades. “This is Mean Gene Okerlund. Welcome to The Genius podcast with Lanny Poffo and J.P. Zarka — both of whom are very long, dear personal friends of mine.”
    “I was going to interview him but he wasn’t feeling well,” Poffo said. “I knew he wasn’t doing well and I didn’t want to push him. But now he will always be on my podcast and his voice will be on there forever.”
    Poffo recalled that Okerlund had to do interviews at a high level for more than 150 separate markets back when the WWE was on syndicated TV. He said that Okerlund was always looking for something to react to and was a master of ad-libbing when it needed to be done.
    “It was sports entertainment. He made it even better,” Poffo said. “I don’t think there was anybody better than him and I think it’s impossible to duplicate.”
    Similar tributes poured in all over social media on Tuesday.

“As an interviewer, pitch man, announcer, or host, he was untouchable,” former WWE champion “Stone Cold” Steve Austin wrote on Twitter. “Simply the best. Total professional with quick wit, sarcasm, humor, and that golden voice.”
    “Mean Gene was one of my favorite people to be around,” wrote WWE TV announcer Johnathan Coachman. “He was a man who loved the pro wrestling business and everything it had to offer. And treated everyone the same no matter who you were. He is a reminder to enjoy every step of whatever your journey is.”
    Sarasota resident Jay Frye struck up a friendship with Okerlund when he first visited Siesta Key 42 years ago. The pair played a lot of golf together at Gator Creek, where Okerlund once missed a four-inch putt during a tournament.
    Frye said Okerlund launched into a fit in that famous voice while going to retrieve the putter he threw after the miss.
    “We couldn’t stop laughing because he had to come back and make the two-inch putt,” Frye said.
    That friendship blossomed into a relationship that saw the Frye and Okerlund families interact together on a regular basis. Frye said that both men saw one another’s kids and grandchildren grow up.
    “It was just a friendship that’s lasted and I’m going to miss him greatly,” Frye said. “We had a lot of great times and a lot of memories.”

Okerlund was known to make regular appearances at local spots such as the Crescent Club on Siesta Key and The Waterfront restaurant in south Sarasota. He also struck up a 30-plus year friendship with Tommy Lagopoulos, a mutual friend of Frye and the longtime owner of the Waterfront.
    Several photos of Okerlund mingling with locals and fans alike dot the walls to the entrance of the Waterfront. Okerlund visited the restaurant nearly every day, even on holidays. Lagopoulos said Okerlund always made his initial presence known with his powerful voice.
    “He would always say ‘goodnight folks’ when he came in and everybody knew it was Gene,” he said. “Before he went to the hospital he was here all the time telling stories. He was one of the best friends I could have ever asked for.”

https://www.heraldtribune.com/sports...76-in-sarasota

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

The Iron SheikI MAKE THE GENE MEAN LAUGH SO HARD HERE HE TELL ME I MAKE HIM CRY. HE HELP ME WHEN I DONT REMEMBER THE JABRONIS NAMES I WRESTLE. I LOVE YOU BROTHER.

https://youtu.be/-KHsNztphWQ

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

Ric Flair®‏
    You Will Forever Be MEAN BY GOD GENE!

Hulk HoganMean
    Gene I love you my brother HH

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29078

Cant wait to see all the Tributes tonight. Should be great

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10488

rip sir.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Time flies by

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 5mike5

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Hogan did pretty decent job. U could tell they were super close he almost didnt get through that at one point.

But I also wanted to hear Flair with the " Mean woooooo by god Gene"

Ive gotta learn how to link vids and pics here. Use to be so easy to just Snip pics

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

RIP
    Raw sucked last night

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by romecloneout View Post
    RIP
    Raw sucked last night
    Better than it has been imo but I expected more too. Ruining main event like it did was lame. So was the Lesnar Strowman promo

Gonna catch a live show this Sat night so hope its better

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6225

This is sad news Rip Mean Jean

First 12