sNoWmAn2169
    sNoWmAn2169's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 684

What do you consider as "throwing" a game?

So a supremely talented basketball team is "playing down" to their opponent. They blow it and miss the game winner. A baseball team is down 3 with 2 runners on, instead of playing small ball and trying to cut the lead each batter goes for the 3-run blast, and each strike out in the process.

Does anyone consider if they could have won, but failed to do so for the sake of entertainment, a breach of integrity? Winning is obviously not as important as the entertainment and wagering factor, and nobody can argue otherwise, but does this constitute actually "throwing" a game?

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Yes, thats the definition of throwing a game

Same when a pitcher gives up a walk off home run, instead of just giving up a single or double. He didnt have to give up the walk off home run, pure entertainment. MLB has some of the best writers, second maybe only to WWE and NFL

sNoWmAn2169

I sense much sarcasm Kraken, perhaps I should have left out that particular baseball example. But in the NBA, come on. The VAST majority of the games should be 40 point blowouts. As far as MLB, teams should NOT be waiting until the 8th and 9th to try and score runs. This comeback mentality is strictly for wagering purposes and entertainment value. They say millennial baseball fans need to be appeased with only hitting home runs. No, sorry, but the close games are a result of only trying to hit home runs, and this is for wagering purposes not for dumb fans.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They throw a load of games in NBA to get a better draft pick. That's how Cavs drafted Lebron. It's a good strategy.

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

If u play 80 games hard to have the same enthusiasm for every game

sNoWmAn2169

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    They throw a load of games in NBA to get a better draft pick. That's how Cavs drafted Lebron. It's a good strategy.
    Yes, but I am not talking about tanking teams. I am talking about the best teams. And I am not saying they are intentionally throwing the game, but putting themselves in nearly impossible positions to win at the end. This is of course, for their legacy. If they can pull off some amazing stunt then they will be remembered forever. But as far as going out and playing to win every night, nobody can argue that they do. So the question remains, what constitutes a breach of integrity to a sport? Not playing to win?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by sNoWmAn2169 View Post
    Yes, but I am not talking about tanking teams. I am talking about the best teams.
    OK. England let Belgium beat them to get into the easy bracket of the World Cup.

sNoWmAn2169

"If u play 80 games hard to have the same enthusiasm for every game"

So is this lack of wanting to work, we all have it, an excuse to comeback 30 points just to blow the game winner?

sNoWmAn2169

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    OK. England let Belgium beat them to get into the easy bracket of the World Cup.
    Yes, but that is a infrequent occasion where it helps seeding. I am talking about a night in and night out basis.

Guys, you are missing the argument. I am not saying teams are going out and throwing a bunch of games. I am criticizing the way sports are played, for the sake of wagering and entertainment. I am not complaining, just arguing that there is no integrity at all in any sport any more. If they want to legalize gambling then they NEED to play this way, it lowers the winning percentage of the best teams.
    Last edited by sNoWmAn2169; 07-07-18 at 10:11 AM.

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

It’s always the most non athletic people who talk the most about rigged sports lol

Yes every player can choose when to make a shot anytime they want and get a hit off the best pitchers in the world whenever they want. And let’s not forget the quarterback can definitely make the perfect pass under any circumstance.

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

fouling down 14 with less than 5 seconds left.....

intentional safeties

Alfa1234
    Alfa1234's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2544

Quote Originally Posted by sNoWmAn2169 View Post
    ...just arguing that there is no integrity at all in any sport any more. If they want to legalize gambling then they NEED to play this way, it lowers the winning percentage of the best teams.

Ummmm No. The books simply need to adjust their lines according to how the teams play and how much they win. Definitely not the other way around.

sNoWmAn2169

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa1234 View Post
    Ummmm No. The books simply need to adjust their lines according to how the teams play and how much they win. Definitely not the other way around.
    It must go hand in hand. Why are leagues demanding a cut of the profits?
    Last edited by sNoWmAn2169; 07-07-18 at 10:21 AM.

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Bad gamblers use this as an excuse.

So a line that’s constantly changing, and taking action up till tip off/also in game, the books, who have all taken in different amounts of action text the commish who settles down to the refs to signal the players when to miss free throws and swing for a homer instead?

Those same leagues who are currently getting paid nothing by the books? Those same players who make 20 million a yeat and any amount books could pay them would be compeletely minuscule to their endorsements and salary?

Sure it happens, on the scale that all of the bad gamblers think it happens it’s not even remotely close. Like most conspiracy theories simple logic fixes many of the issues with your theories

sNoWmAn2169

ans61201, first its unathletic people, now its bad gamblers! ANS explain to me why there are upsets in sports in the biggest moments. Are you telling me the Patriots didn't want to be in position for that hail Mary play at the end? There was so much money on the Pats that it HAD to be a 50-50 ball.

We are seeing closer games on a much greater scale in all sports. Sports has always been about gambling, now its becoming legal. We are betting on whether a good team can do it at the last second. I am not saying they throw the games when they lose, but am questioning whether they should have been in that situation to begin with!

Read the entire conversation ANS then try again. Oh, and do you beat women like the guy in your profile pic?
    Last edited by sNoWmAn2169; 07-07-18 at 10:44 AM.

sNoWmAn2169

Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    fouling down 14 with less than 5 seconds left.....

intentional safeties
    Yes but these are obvious things.
    Last edited by sNoWmAn2169; 07-07-18 at 04:16 PM.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I would say 50% of the players on every major sport's team knows the line. You are a professional.... you know exactly what's going on.

Also, the refs do help out when the player goofs things up from time to time. That's evident.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

Players make to to much in “ pro” sports to throw games. At least in the 4-5 major US sports. Refs ( as we have seen in nba) and collegiate athletes are the ones where you might see it.

sNoWmAn2169

Guys I am not saying players are throwing games! I am simply asking what you think of the way teams play!!! I am using the term "throwing" as a gauge of your opinion.