Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

World CUp Title For Mexico Wouild Prove Costly For Sports Books

World Cup title for Mexico would prove costly for sports books
    By Todd Dewey / Las Vegas Review-Journal
    June 25, 2018

In a World Cup without the United States, Mexico is the largest liability at Las Vegas sports books.

If El Tri wins the World Cup, it would result in a six-figure loss for the Westgate sports book, which opened Mexico at 50-1 odds in its futures book.

“Our only liabilities are small on Germany and Mexico’s the big one,” Westgate sports book manager Jeff Sherman said.
    Mexico would cost the Wynn Las Vegas sports book almost six figures, while CG Technology sports book would take a five-figure hit.

“They’re the only team that we’re a loser to,” CG Technology sports book director Jason Simbal said.

Long shots

Mexico, which can clinch a spot in the round of 16 with a win or draw Wednesday against Sweden, was as high as 66-1 at CG Technology, which took a $500 wager to win $25,000 at 50-1 odds and a $250 bet to win $15,000 at 60-1 odds.

El Tri is a 20-1 shot at adjusted odds to win it all at the Westgate.

The books split on Mexico’s first two games, winning on its 1-0 upset of Germany before losing on its 2-1 win over South Korea.

Blame it on Rio

Brazil is the largest liability at Wynn Las Vegas while the biggest World Cup bet placed at CG Technology was a $10,000 wager to win $45,000 on the Selecao.

Over time

After 16 of the first 25 World Cup games went under, 10 consecutive matches went over the total.

The run ended Monday afternoon when Portugal and Iran played to a 1-1 draw.
    Last edited by Hman; 06-26-18 at 03:35 PM.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Will Mexico even advance?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

oh wow

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Lol Pennies compares to offshore

Las Vegas sports books are laughable

They don’t even know what real serious money is

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Only non-European country to win a WC on European soil was Brazil in 1958 in Sweden so I would say doubtful

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

I got Mexico 100-1

They are not winning anything.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

6 figures?

Yeah I feel horrible for the books.

So.Much.Money

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Mexico has very nearly clinched its advancement. It just needs a win or draw against Sweden. If it loses, it would still advance if Germany doesn’t beat South Korea, or if Germany wins but finishes with a smaller goal differential.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

surprised at this.......... would have thought they'd be hedged with tons of other bets on brazil, germany, england etc....

i guess this is a bit like the vegas hockey bets where mexico is a semi-local bet......... vegas books would have had little offset bets to vegas hockey but british bookies i think had huge offset bets to leicester premiership bets......

of course, vegas hockey didn't cash....... anyone have any idea whether the big ticket holders (my vague understanding is that vegas hockey liability was highly concentrated as per large $$$ payouts) hedged themselves?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    If Sweden beat them 1-0 and Germany beat Sth Korea 1-0, MEX, GER and SWE will finish on 6 points with same for and against record, so it could come down to how many cards each team has had. (GER 5, SWE 3, MEX 2 right now)

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Mexico has very nearly clinched its advancement. It just needs a win or draw against Sweden. If it loses, it would still advance if Germany doesn’t beat South Korea, or if Germany wins but finishes with a smaller goal differential.
    i see nate silver has mexico 72% to advance.. so sad that they missed qualifying for next round by one minute a few days ago.

jjgold

Most Nevada sports books thinks $50,000 is a huge hit most offshore sports books get that per game

Blackballer
    Blackballer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 575

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    World Cup title for Mexico would prove costly for sports books
    By Todd Dewey / Las Vegas Review-Journal
    June 25, 2018

In a World Cup without the United States, Mexico is the largest liability at Las Vegas sports books.

If El Tri wins the World Cup, it would result in a six-figure loss for the Westgate sports book, which opened Mexico at 50-1 odds in its futures book.

“Our only liabilities are small on Germany and Mexico’s the big one,” Westgate sports book manager Jeff Sherman said.
    Mexico would cost the Wynn Las Vegas sports book almost six figures, while CG Technology sports book would take a five-figure hit.

“They’re the only team that we’re a loser to,” CG Technology sports book director Jason Simbal said.

Long shots

Mexico, which can clinch a spot in the round of 16 with a win or draw Wednesday against Sweden, was as high as 66-1 at CG Technology, which took a $500 wager to win $25,000 at 50-1 odds and a $250 bet to win $15,000 at 60-1 odds.

El Tri is a 20-1 shot at adjusted odds to win it all at the Westgate.

The books split on Mexico’s first two games, winning on its 1-0 upset of Germany before losing on its 2-1 win over South Korea.

Blame it on Rio

Brazil is the largest liability at Wynn Las Vegas while the biggest World Cup bet placed at CG Technology was a $10,000 wager to win $45,000 on the Selecao.

Over time

After 16 of the first 25 World Cup games went under, 10 consecutive matches went over the total.

The run ended Monday afternoon when Portugal and Iran played to a 1-1 draw.
    Yes poor bookies, they all cried after Leicester became champion. If Mexico wins than we all should collect money to help out the bookies to cover their liablities otherwise they can't run their business anymore right.

Blackballer
    Blackballer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 575

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Lol Pennies compares to offshore

Las Vegas sports books are laughable

They don’t even know what real serious money is
    Vegas books are like the New York Stock Exchange ( I mean the phisical place) everyone thinks they 'trade' there where of course the real trading happens elsewhere. It's like a great place for tourists to visit and take some pictures not more.

Most of the turnovers are settled off-shore agree fully here.

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9724

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    I got Mexico 100-1

They are not winning anything.
    Think positive. Why did you place the bet then .are you a mush

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9724

What do you mean by one minute. A few days ago

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

I don't see it happening,has their ever been a heavy underdog that's won a WC,if their has been someone please correct me.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Blackballer View Post
    Vegas books are like the New York Stock Exchange ( I mean the phisical place) everyone thinks they 'trade' there where of course the real trading happens elsewhere. It's like a great place for tourists to visit and take some pictures not more.

Most of the turnovers are settled off-shore agree fully here.
    Of course..many places have 100k limits on these games offshore

Vegas shakes with 5k bet a bunch of $15 hr fools

Alfa1234
    Alfa1234's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2544

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    If Sweden beat them 1-0 and Germany beat Sth Korea 1-0, MEX, GER and SWE will finish on 6 points with same for and against record, so it could come down to how many cards each team has had. (GER 5, SWE 3, MEX 2 right now)
    Actually these rules still come into play before it goes to the fair play rule:

1. - greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
    2. - goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
    3. - greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

In your described scenario, Mexico is the only team that scored twice VS Korea so I believe they would go out as they would only have scored 1 goal in the matches between Sweden and Germany, while both Sweden and Germany would have scored 2.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa1234 View Post

Actually these rules still come into play before it goes to the fair play rule:

1. - greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
    2. - goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
    3. - greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

In your described scenario, Mexico is the only team that scored twice VS Korea so I believe they would go out as they would only have scored 1 goal in the matches between Sweden and Germany, while both Sweden and Germany would have scored 2.
    Are you sure 4, 5 and 6 actually apply at this stage?

They sound like they are designed for the pre-tourney qualification process. As they don't appear to make much sense in this context

Tiebreakers

The ranking of each team in each group stage is determined as follows:[32][96]

1. Points obtained in all group matches;
    2. Goal difference in all group matches;
    3. Number of goals scored in all group matches;
    4. Points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
    5. Goal difference in the matches played between the teams in question;
    6. Number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
    7. Fair play points in all group matches (only one of these deductions shall be applied to a player in a single match):
      • First yellow card: minus 1 point;
      • Indirect red card (second yellow card): minus 3 points;
      • Direct red card: minus 4 points;
      • Yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points;

8. Drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

Optional

Ignore me. I get it now. They are worded to cover a 3 way tie.