jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anyone Giving Harper 500 Million Is Insane

Trout 10x better and he does nothing to make Angels any good
    He cannot not even play and they have same record

HARPER???????????????????? HUH?????????????

This is not Tom Brady, James , ect who win games all by themselves and who are bigger than the game

PITCHING WINS NOT HITTING

LOL!!!!

Dummies ruin their organization financially for some clown that bats 260and would make zero difference if you put a young latin stud in his place making 3 million a year

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Paying any one player anywhere close to that kind of money is asinine. Can’t do it with pitchers cause you will inevitably have them on the shelf for 14-18 months of the deal with TJ surgery. Plus you typically paying for past results not future which is stupid..

I would give machado the money way before Harper but again nobody worth that kind of jack!

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

when will mlb teams learn the long term contracts don't pay off

miguel cabrera
    joey votto
    joe mauer
    albert pujols
    alex rodriguez
    zack greinke
    chris davis
    david price
    jason heyward
    homer bailey
    ian desmond
    jordan zimmerman
    matt kemp
    upton brothers
    ryan braun
    david wright
    jake arrieta
    felix hernandez
    shin soo choo
    troy tulowitzski

the only guy who is worth his contract

Mike Trout

jjgold

Trout Outstanding but my point is the angels are never any good they are mediocre at best because they have no pitching

Replace trout with some good pitchers and the angels do much better

2daBank

Think a lot of teams have started figuring it out ck. You see a lot more teams locking up their young guys before they have done a lot to much more reasonable deals where they paying for expected future production opposed to overpaying for past performance.. see cardinals doing it a lot, they have actually had several not do so well after doing it but the contracts so good and the players still so young w upside they are easy contracts to move and get some return.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Think a lot of teams have started figuring it out ck. You see a lot more teams locking up their young guys before they have done a lot to much more reasonable deals where they paying for expected future production opposed to overpaying for past performance.. see cardinals doing it a lot, they have actually had several not do so well after doing it but the contracts so good and the players still so young w upside they are easy contracts to move and get some return.
    cards draft well and have a great farm system, always have good young prospects with big arms, u don't see st louis give out bad contracts often as well

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Number one rule to survive in sports.

You NEVER over pay for players who have played there best game already.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3605

How many Teams could afford to do it,that's ridiculous money.Dont even reckon the Yankees would pay him 500 million,he's done f#ck all in crunch time,what's he done in the Playoffs.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 06-24-18 at 08:28 PM.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

JD Martinez is worth it.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    cards draft well and have a great farm system, always have good young prospects with big arms, u don't see st louis give out bad contracts often as well
    Well in fairness they tried with heyword and price, luckily we just got outbid!! Sometimes better to be lucky than good!!! Lol..

We draft and pluck south of the boarder arms very well, havnt done as well trying to find bats.

Honestly they been striking out quite a bit in free agency. Fowler deal looking uglier by the minute and still on hook for bunch of money and years with him. We got about 30 mil in utterly useless pen arms going out this year (although holland’s 14 mil starting to show little promise), Cecil getting bout 9 mil a year and is utter dogshit, gregerson getting 4-5 mil per I think (dunno how many years).

Wainwright been getting past performance dollars for last 2 years (luckily he comes off the books after this year!)..

I believe they gonna make a run at machado but I think good bet they will get outbid. Not sure how I feel bout that? if I was gonna shell out a 30 mil a year deal i do think machado be a guy I’d go for it with. While I hate those deals after seeing some of these 17-20mil per deals (like Fowler) not pan out I’m starting to lean to “instead of 2-3 middling players why not go all out for a big time potential hof’er”? They getting to point they gonna need a splash, if we miss playoffs they might actually pony up enough to get him as fan support is starting to waiver a little. Ticket sales still strong but more no shows and the secondary market for tix is really soft right now!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2404

good points

spro23
    spro23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8091

next recession is going to really crush this country. most of these pro sports leagues depend on 45+ year old white guys with money. But they're ethnically replacing their customers thinking theyre going to get the same result. Working class people are getting phucked in the azz and its only going to get worse.

I also don't think 162 games will be sustainable to say the least. there simply wont be enough paying customers.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

If the stadiums don't fill up soon noone gonna get more than 10mm yr soon

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Have kinda started seeing that the last few years as these guys wanting fairly big money all sat around a lot longer than I’m sure they expected and most settled for far less than agents were telling them they were gonna get.. there still exceptions tho, machado and Harper will both get monster deals. I’d be happy if my team landed machado, pissed if they even talked to harpers ppl! Lol

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2404

aren't tv deals where the big$ comes from?

spro23
    spro23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8091

Nascar attendance has been down like %30+ this year. Americans are phucking broke. These pro sports owners think its like the 90s when everyone had money. Sports are completely extraneous and a luxury. There's no reason to go to ANY sporting event and pay phucking $20 to park then all the other sh1t to watch a bunch of r3tards run around on the field.

I look for most sports leagues to take heavy losses in the near future. I think it will only get worse.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Yep and those have only gotten stronger. Think the doomsdayers in here being a bit dramatic.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Quote Originally Posted by spro23 View Post
    Nascar attendance has been down like %30+ this year. Americans are phucking broke. These pro sports owners think its like the 90s when everyone had money. Sports are completely extraneous and a luxury. There's no reason to go to ANY sporting event and pay phucking $20 to park then all the other sh1t to watch a bunch of r3tards run around on the field.

I look for most sports leagues to take heavy losses in the near future. I think it will only get worse.
    Only major markets with corporate dollars will do well but the leagues just make them share there money to keep the other teams around.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

TV is dead

Roku/ Net streaming taking over

Days of ESPN (for sale), FOX (for sale) giving big money long term deals is over for all sports except NFL, and even they will take a hit next time round....

League owned networks is future, but again if noone wants to go to the ball park, noone is going to want to pay to watch...

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Trout 10x better and he does nothing to make Angels any good
    He cannot not even play and they have same record

HARPER???????????????????? HUH?????????????

This is not Tom Brady, James , ect who win games all by themselves and who are bigger than the game

PITCHING WINS NOT HITTING

LOL!!!!

Dummies ruin their organization financially for some clown that bats 260and would make zero difference if you put a young latin stud in his place making 3 million a year
    Votto, bruce bailey and dat dude is why the reds have sucked for so long.Yes you can trade them but sometimes you have to eat that contract

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

League owned networks is future, but again if noone wants to go to the ball park, noone is going to want to pay to watch...
    People will pay for MLB.tv if it means only having to pay $150/year (or nothing if it's on Cable) and being able to watch from the comfort of your own home and not have to pay for parking or overpriced hot dogs and beer with better camera angles.

That's why people aren't going to NFL games either. The experience is much better at home.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11872

And integrity fees.

DeathAdder
    DeathAdder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8209

Harper's a warrior, went toe to toe with Papelbon. Sign of a leader and an alpha male. Have no problem with Bryce getting his. Dude has earned a massive contract. 500 mill is peanuts nowadays with MLB tv deal in the billions and massive revenue deals.

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Imagine going up to bat, every single time, knowing that a pitcher won't pitch to you because he doesn't have to

The fact that he's still so young and his maturity hasn't peaked yet plays a factor in his approach at the plate

He's a .300 hitter with 45 homers and 120 rbis for the next 10 years on the yanks

Protection is everything

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3605

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAdder View Post
    Harper's a warrior, went toe to toe with Papelbon. Sign of a leader and an alpha male. Have no problem with Bryce getting his. Dude has earned a massive contract. 500 mill is peanuts nowadays with MLB tv deal in the billions and massive revenue deals.
    Alpha male ?,you do talk some nonsense sometimes.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 06-25-18 at 02:00 AM.

TheSchafe
    TheSchafe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 462

Quote Originally Posted by sourtwist View Post
    Imagine going up to bat, every single time, knowing that a pitcher won't pitch to you because he doesn't have to

The fact that he's still so young and his maturity hasn't peaked yet plays a factor in his approach at the plate

He's a .300 hitter with 45 homers and 120 rbis for the next 10 years on the yanks

Protection is everything
    My belief is that he'll stay in the NL East. Gun to my head, Phillies. However, it's also likely he ends up as a Yankee. I expect the Yankees and Red Sox to both make a run at the guy. He already is a superstar despite the sub par numbers this year and the anger issues...both of which will get better with age and good managerial leadership. Guys like Gabe Kapler and Aaron Boone were clubhouse leaders in their player days, and I think that's what a young superstar like Bryce Harper needs. Being around guys like Jonathan Papelbon negatively influenced the guy, and soft managers (Matt Williams, Dusty, and now Dave Martinez) haven't helped the situation.

But I agree sourtwist, being in the right lineup and with the right players will put Harper in Cooperstown someday. Bank on it.

jjgold

Baseball revenues have to be sinking

Plus baseball not even marketable

No young people even watch, this is not the NBA or NFL

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21737

He'll do well for himself, but he isn't getting 500 million. If he wants a forever-type contract, most he'll get is 350 million.

jjgold

Harper fortunate to play for a very good team and still can’t get him a title so obviously he’s not worth the money

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47597

Harper's approach and swing are totally fukked right now...agreed, no way I'd pay him even close to what he is looking for.

that said, someone will open the coffers for him.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    People will pay for MLB.tv if it means only having to pay $150/year (or nothing if it's on Cable) and being able to watch from the comfort of your own home and not have to pay for parking or overpriced hot dogs and beer with better camera angles.

That's why people aren't going to NFL games either. The experience is much better at home.
    The one problem with sports on the net is they are all delayed. If you watch any live sports online what you see happened 1.5 to 3 minutes before. Doesn’t work for live betting

jjgold

The average kid or young person could not name 5 MLB players

It is a dying sport

Venom72
    Venom72's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 974

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    The average kid or young person could not name 5 MLB players

It is a dying sport
    Your right about kids,thats always been an issue for mlb they cant attract the younger crowd like basketball and football can..dying is a strong word though, baseball will always have its core audience

bonusguy
    bonusguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1445

harper hitting .210

the entire MLB is focused on stopping him. hours of video on how to get him out has worked

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Quote Originally Posted by spro23 View Post

What in the hell are you talking about. This economy is just aas good as it was in the 90's

Jobs are plentiful. People have more money in their pocket than they did less than a decade ago.

12 Last