maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Anyone try new Titleist Tour Soft Golf Balls yet?????

Lots of advertising and controversy about Titleist claims

A 2 piece, surlyn ball that goes for $35/dzn??? Outplays Chrome Soft and TP5 according to Titleist

Seriously????

Any guys down south or out west play this ball yet????

Ardmorite
    Ardmorite's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20978

Haven't hit them yet but was told that it's the NXT tour ball renamed. Supposedly nxt ball got a rep of being a hard ball so titleist renamed it.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

i like the callaway chrome soft

may try them just to see.

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by Ardmorite View Post
    Haven't hit them yet but was told that it's the NXT tour ball renamed. Supposedly nxt ball got a rep of being a hard ball so titleist renamed it.
    Titleist is replacing the NXT line with this, but they are making some pretty outrageous claims saying it is better than Chrome Soft and TP5
    I am sure the NXT sold well, but I never understood why anyone would pay that much for a 2 pc or non urethane ball

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

just does not make sense

if it played better than chrome soft why would the #1 brand charge less for it.

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    just does not make sense

if it played better than chrome soft why would the #1 brand charge less for it.
    It is just more BS marketing
    They want to have a ball at a price tier below the Pro V1 for better players and will say anything to get this ball to compete with Chrome soft at around the same price-TP5 cost as much as Pro V1

A 2 pc surlyn with a bigger and softer core can be bought for under 20 bucks-can this ball really be much better????

Titleist has a brand name that allows them to try this, I guess

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Man , it's been a long time since I've played golf
    People pay $35 for 12 balls ?

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot26 View Post
    Man , it's been a long time since I've played golf
    People pay $35 for 12 balls ?
    Way more for the elite ball

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Quote Originally Posted by funnyb25 View Post
    Way more for the elite ball
    No wonder why I quit , drinking is so much cheaper without playing 18

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Probably way overpriced. The titleist name alone allows them to jack up the price.

magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Balls are so overrated... it's 99% the guy swinging the club.

I can put a $300 guitar in the hands of Joe Bonamassa and you would be convinced it is a priceless Les Paul

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by magaman View Post
    Balls are so overrated... it's 99% the guy swinging the club.

I can put a $300 guitar in the hands of Joe Bonamassa and you would be convinced it is a priceless Les Paul
    Balls are overrated if you are an average joe who doesn't practice and plays the occasional round.

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

Quote Originally Posted by magaman View Post
    Balls are so overrated... it's 99% the guy swinging the club.I can put a $300 guitar in the hands of Joe Bonamassa and you would be convinced it is a priceless Les Paul
    Joe Bonamassa rules!!

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

From my limited experience, the only thing worth value are the pro V 1s and 1x that Titleist has

The rest is all comparable to balls like srixon or whatever cheaper alternatives

The pro V 1s have a good weight for players with hiigher club head speeds

The faces or surface is what gets chewed up over a round

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

I can’t tell much difference between balls because i am not there yet, but my research last year told me the best ball for a higher handicap was the NXT Tour S.

Soumds like this is the same ball?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Pro V1 4 Life.

maggiethebestdog

I could write a book on this subject
    Most people play the wrong ball but not how you think

Greaser, you are wasting money on those balls, unless you are buying used for $12/dzn
    If you know where to buy them, used mint balls allow you to play the ball you should be playing at a reasonable price, even new balls can be had for a decent price
    People will spend $500 on a driver and $1000 for irons, pay $40-50 for greens fees, then cheap out on balls

If you can make reasonable contact with the ball you are losing at least 3 shots per round by not using a urethane cover ball
    You can't chip and putt properly with a 2 pc surlyn, ionomer ball

I won't bore you with my qualifications to say these things

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    I could write a book on this subject
    Most people play the wrong ball but not how you think

Greaser, you are wasting money on those balls, unless you are buying used for $12/dzn
    If you know where to buy them, used mint balls allow you to play the ball you should be playing at a reasonable price, even new balls can be had for a decent price
    People will spend $500 on a driver and $1000 for irons, pay $40-50 for greens fees, then cheap out on balls

If you can make reasonable contact with the ball you are losing at least 3 shots per round by not using a urethane cover ball
    You can't chip and putt properly with a 2 pc surlyn, ionomer ball

I won't bore you with my qualifications to say these things

Ok, I have been playing golf for 3 years. 20 handicap.

I read that somebody like me won’t benefit from playing pro v1’s.

I have plenty of money. What ball will pick up 3 shots for me. Want to be under 90 asap

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    Ok, I have been playing golf for 3 years. 20 handicap.

I read that somebody like me won’t benefit from playing pro v1’s.

I have plenty of money. What ball will pick up 3 shots for me. Want to be under 90 asap
    Do you know your approx swing speed???

grease lightnin
    &

Do you know your approx swing speed???
    Fuk. No. I don’t.

I got it checked when I got my driver and they gave me a stiff shaft. Or maybe a standard. Fuk, not sure. I know it isn’t a flex shaft.

But I usually only swing at about 80% of that speed with my driver to stay accurate. I would say it is about the speed of a middle aged guy. Not as slow as an old man.

Does that help? I could go to golf galaxy tomorrow and find out.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

Fuk. No. I don’t.

I got it checked when I got my driver and they gave me a stiff shaft. Or maybe a standard. Fuk, not sure. I know it isn’t a flex shaft.

But I usually only swing at about 80% of that speed with my driver to stay accurate. I would say it is about the speed of a middle aged guy. Not as slow as an old man.

Greaser, I would worry about other parts of the game first. Until you can make the same swing, chipping motion, and putting motion a fukin ball isn't going to be that huge of a deal.

maggiethebestdog

Fuk. No. I don’t.

I got it checked when I got my driver and they gave me a stiff shaft.

OK
    You can hit a mid to low compression ball, just not one designed for high swing speeds
    A Pro V1 would be better than the X version which is harder to compress

Ever hit a chip shot or wedge where you just mishit it a tad and it won't stop on the green???? Those are the shots where a urethane ball will stay on the green, UNLESS THE SHOT IS TOTALLY MISHIT. Also, putting and chipping is all feel. You develop feel with a ball that allows you to. The word "soft" means different things today. The feel of a thin urethane cover is what you need to get the ball to react on and around the greens to save strokes. Unless you are horrible and don't care, you should be using a urethane ball.

Soft also refers to compression. Low compression balls are the new thing now. It allows slower swing speed to compress the ball better creating a "softer" feel off the club. That does not mean it will give you the soft feel putting, chipping and wedge shots you need to get better. A 2 pc ball is surlyn, ionomer or a blend. They do not give you the feel around the greens and 120 yds in to get better, NO MATTER WHAT THE COMPANY SAYS.

Distance between urethane balls and 2 pc balls is negligible at best. I worked in the golf industry at a PGA Tour golf course for 20 yrs
    The ball they say is the longest might be 1-3 yds further than a better urethane ball. It is all marketing BS.

It used to be the better tour balls were grossly expensive and would cut if you looked at them the wrong way. That hasn't been the case for years. The urethane balls now are very durable and very reasonable if you know where to buy them.

I am not saying these balls will work for you overnight and you certainly don't "need" to play them, but once you get used to them and you get better yourself, you will notice a big difference.

I know I am basically a troll on here, but this is an area of expertise for me. Most people have no clue what they are talking about with golf equipment. People who work at Golf Galaxy are clueless, trust me.

You don't need Pro V's. There are several balls that are great that would fit this description. I will list them if you want. Even Pro V1's can be had in perfect condition for around $20, but you must know where to buy them because a lot of people selling used balls are criminals.

grease lightnin
    &

OK
    You can hit a mid to low compression ball, just not one designed for high swing speeds
    A Pro V1 would be better than the X version which is harder to compress

Ever hit a chip shot or wedge where you just mishit it a tad and it won't stop on the green???? Those are the shots where a urethane ball will stay on the green, UNLESS THE SHOT IS TOTALLY MISHIT. Also, putting and chipping is all feel. You develop feel with a ball that allows you to. The word "soft" means different things today. The feel of a thin urethane cover is what you need to get the ball to react on and around the greens to save strokes. Unless you are horrible and don't care, you should be using a urethane ball.

Soft also refers to compression. Low compression balls are the new thing now. It allows slower swing speed to compress the ball better creating a "softer" feel off the club. That does not mean it will give you the soft feel putting, chipping and wedge shots you need to get better. A 2 pc ball is surlyn, ionomer or a blend. They do not give you the feel around the greens and 120 yds in to get better, NO MATTER WHAT THE COMPANY SAYS.

Distance between urethane balls and 2 pc balls is negligible at best. I worked in the golf industry at a PGA Tour golf course for 20 yrs
    The ball they say is the longest might be 1-3 yds further than a better urethane ball. It is all marketing BS.

It used to be the better tour balls were grossly expensive and would cut if you looked at them the wrong way. That hasn't been the case for years. The urethane balls now are very durable and very reasonable if you know where to buy them.

I am not saying these balls will work for you overnight and you certainly don't "need" to play them, but once you get used to them and you get better yourself, you will notice a big difference.

I know I am basically a troll on here, but this is an area of expertise for me. Most people have no clue what they are talking about with golf equipment. People who work at Golf Galaxy are clueless, trust me.

You don't need Pro V's. There are several balls that are great that would fit this description. I will list them if you want. Even Pro V1's can be had in perfect condition for around $20, but you must know where to buy them because a lot of people selling used balls are criminals.

Yes, please do.

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    Greaser, I would worry about other parts of the game first. Until you can make the same swing, chipping motion, and putting motion a fukin ball isn't going to be that huge of a deal.

Yea this is the approach I have taken so far, but I have to buy balls anyway, so I might as well buy the ones I have the best chance of gaining strokes with.

maggiethebestdog

Used balls are great but tricky. NEVER buy REFINISHED balls, only recycled or used. I only buy used from people who clearly state what year model the ball is. Right now, 2016 or 2017 would be fine. Only buy the best quality they have. A guy I have bought from on ebay doesn't have alot right now, but for example: he has 3 dozen mint 2017 Pro V1's for $60 shipped, 2 dozen for 55. He has never done me wrong. You can't tell the balls have been used. When I first bought used, some people sent me their mint balls that I wouldn't bother hitting away in the ocean. Must be careful.

You can score a new dzn TM Tour Preferred 2016 model for around 25 bucks. Tour players used this ball. A great ball.
    Other balls to look for are: TM project a, Callaway Chrome Soft, Bridgestone RX or RXS, Wilson FG Tour, Q star tour, Wilson duo urethane
    You don't need to spend much more than 25-35 for these new balls. You just have to catch them at the right place.

If you let me know how many you usually buy I can find you the best deals. It is 2nd nature to me and I have done it for years

Do not fall into the myth that because something is a tour level ball that it won't help you. That is not true. The only way that is true is if you have to pay full price for them, which even I would never do. You don't have to. The project a ball is not a tour ball, but it is a billion times better than any 2 pc non urethane ball.

Let me know if you want any help

grease lightnin
    &

Yeah let me know if you find any of those at a good deal. Not really interested in used, but the others sound good.

I will buy 4 or 5 dozen.

Thanks for the info

maggiethebestdog

Yeah let me know if you find any of those at a good deal. Not really interested in used, but the others sound good.

I will buy 4 or 5 dozen.

Thanks for the info
    The compression of the balls vary as well. A pro v1 and tour preferred compression rate is around 80. That should be fine if you have stiff shafts and don't have a real slow swing. The project a is my favorite ball with a 70 compression. Some balls have even lower compression rates. I will look at some 2 dozen deals so you can try something out.

grease lightnin
    &

The compression of the balls vary as well. A pro v1 and tour preferred compression rate is around 80. That should be fine if you have stiff shafts and don't have a real slow swing. The project a is my favorite ball with a 70 compression. Some balls have even lower compression rates. I will look at some 2 dozen deals so you can try something out.
    Ok. So, faster swing, lower number on compression or the other way around?

maggiethebestdog

Ok. So, faster swing, lower number on compression or the other way around?
    Slower swings need lower compression. Tour pros swing 120 mph and could compress a rock so they could play a ball with a higher compression number. Even so, some guys will stay play mid compression because it feels a little better and the distance will be the same. A few even play low compression like the Chrome soft because that is designed to accept a faster swing speed where it's predecessors could not. Any ball I would look for either of us would be a max 80 and below. I still swing reasonably hard for an old fukk at around 90 mph but that is too slow to compress a higher number compression rate. You are probably close to that number.

the1yankee
    the1yankee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3689

Used balls are great but tricky. NEVER buy REFINISHED balls, only recycled or used. I only buy used from people who clearly state what year model the ball is. Right now, 2016 or 2017 would be fine. Only buy the best quality they have. A guy I have bought from on ebay doesn't have alot right now, but for example: he has 3 dozen mint 2017 Pro V1's for $60 shipped, 2 dozen for 55. He has never done me wrong. You can't tell the balls have been used. When I first bought used, some people sent me their mint balls that I wouldn't bother hitting away in the ocean. Must be careful.

You can score a new dzn TM Tour Preferred 2016 model for around 25 bucks. Tour players used this ball. A great ball.
    Other balls to look for are: TM project a, Callaway Chrome Soft, Bridgestone RX or RXS, Wilson FG Tour, Q star tour, Wilson duo urethane
    You don't need to spend much more than 25-35 for these new balls. You just have to catch them at the right place.

If you let me know how many you usually buy I can find you the best deals. It is 2nd nature to me and I have done it for years

Do not fall into the myth that because something is a tour level ball that it won't help you. That is not true. The only way that is true is if you have to pay full price for them, which even I would never do. You don't have to. The project a ball is not a tour ball, but it is a billion times better than any 2 pc non urethane ball.

Let me know if you want any help
    Love the thread guys. Havent played in 15 yrs, around the time of pro v1 coming to market. Being a 90 hdcp, I fukin loved the feeling of hitting a pro v1, n I remember call away had a pretty nice blue logo ball, felt similar to pro v1, 4got what it was, awhile ago.

But ya, shitty balls feel like hitting a rock, compared to a pro v1
    Not much different vs shitty irons and good quality irons
    I won't golf anymore CUZ I got rid of my clubs, n Hate playing with shit rental clubs! Even if its just a few times/yr
    Do places even rent out decent sets of clubs, titleist Taylor made? I'm sure they do at the ritzy clubs

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

I haven't played much the last few years but always found that I tended to lose proVs with my driver but loved them with irons. I hit distance balls with the driver just fine but they do kinda suck around the greens.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

Not yet. A lot of people mentioned the Chrome Soft way up ^^^

Have they re-developed that ball? I tried it many years ago for a few rounds and the ball was entirely to "jumpy" around the greens with less than a full momentum swing into the ball. It was almost like the ball needed to be fully compressed to respond appropriately. If that ball is still very popoular they must have made some adjustments to it. I immediately went back to the Pro V1x and haven't tried another since.

BigOrange
    BigOrange's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5441

The only new ball Titleist has in the works is the AVX. It's a blend between the Pro V1 and the X. Same price as those balls.

It's been test marketed in AZ and Florida this winter and the courses in my region, the Mid Atlantic, were able to get one delivery of 12 dozen. They haven't confirmed yet if they are going to release the ball but it is very good. Has the distance of the X with the spin around the greens of the Pro V.

I kept 4 dozen back for myself. Haven't played with them yet due to the harsh winter.

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    I haven't played much the last few years but always found that I tended to lose proVs with my driver but loved them with irons. I hit distance balls with the driver just fine but they do kinda suck around the greens.
    With the exact same swing a Pro V 1 will be within a couple yards of any distance ball

maggiethebestdog

Compression rates and swing speeds can vary so that could be why some people can have some unique experiences. My swing speed is around 90 mph so a high compression ball would not be my best choice. A regular pro v1 is in the high 80's rate and I compress it just fine. I would not want to go higher with the x version but someone who swings faster could easily do that. Certain balls are designed for certain swing speeds. I also play with a 70 compression project a ball and the distance is no different.

My main points are these
    It is insane to play a non urethane ball if you care about scoring at all. They go just as far, are durable and can be found at very reasonable prices. Your wedge game, putting, chipping, feel and green holding will help you score better. Obviously, if you can't make reasonable contact with the ball it makes no difference. If I am chipping around the green, hitting an iron into a green or putting, I will slightly mishit a lot of shots. Not bad shots, just a little off. If I use a 2 pc non urethane ball it is over the green and won't roll true. The urethane ball bails me out WITHIN REASON. It is the quickest and easiest way to improve scores.

Like I said, it will not perform miracles but anyone that can break 100 and is improving to reach new levels should be using a urethane ball that fits your swing. I would never pay more than 20-30 dollars for these balls. I have had luck with used, but that is tricky. New can be had for that price range if you know where to look. If you factor in how much money you spend for clubs and greens fees, the ball cost is negligible unless you lose a ton of balls. Like I said, if that is the case it doesn't matter what ball you play.
    Last edited by maggiethebestdog; 02-12-18 at 10:51 PM.

1234 ... Last