hotcross
    hotcross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7208

Infamous Discarded Hard Drive Holding 7500 Bitcoins Would be Worth $123 Million Today

current bitcoin price $16,500

its unclear what landfill exactly the hard drive would be located, and the landfills refuse to let the man go digging for his "needle in the haystack" due to safety reasons at the dump.

Infamous Discarded Hard Drive Holding 7500 Bitcoins Would be Worth $123 Million Today

During the summer of 2013, while cleaning out his desk, a Welsh man named James Howells threw away a hard drive from his broken Dell Laptop.

Unfortunately, he realized several months later that the drive held 7,500 Bitcoin mined back in 2009. At the time, with Bitcoin approaching and finally just exceeding $1,000 in price, the scrapped hard drive would have been worth over $7 mln.

The story created a lot of hype about the rising the value of Bitcoin and the fortunes - or misfortunes - of the currency’s first miners and investors. Many of them had dabbled with the currency while it was in its infancy, only to forget about it and fail to backup their wallets.

Howells had mined those 7,500 coins himself as a hobby back when Bitcoin was a mere plaything for the technologically inclined. Howells related:

"You know when you put something in the bin, and in your head, say to yourself 'that's a bad idea'? I really did have that.”

Howells explains how he stopped mining when his girlfriend complained about the noise from the laptop and the heat it was producing. When he spilled lemonade on the laptop the following year, he dismantled it for parts. He initially kept the hard drive for a few years before finally discarding it.

Back in 2013, Howells said:

"I'm at the point where it's either laugh about it or cry about it. Why aren't I out there with a shovel now? I think I'm just resigned to never being able to find it."

Once can only imagine how the unfortunate Howells feels today.

“Don’t tell my Wife”

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Holee fuk

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Did he find it?

hotcross

nope they won't let him look for it

story is from year 2013 so there is at least 4 years deep trash piled on top of it

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

SBR Broke Dikk Fukks..."Man Your Shovels!!"

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

His story didn't pass the smell test.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Ain't that a load of shit

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Probably BS story

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

I don't care about another mans money.......

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Probably BS story
    Probably

hotcross

its true guys

here's another, even worse. 10,000 BTC was worth about $40 at the time....posted in 2010 online site: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0

Pizza for bitcoins?
    May 18, 2010, 12:35:20 AM

I'll pay 10,000 bitcoins for a couple of pizzas.. like maybe 2 large ones so I have some left over for the next day. I like having left over pizza to nibble on later. You can make the pizza yourself and bring it to my house or order it for me from a delivery place, but what I'm aiming for is getting food delivered in exchange for bitcoins where I don't have to order or prepare it myself, kind of like ordering a 'breakfast platter' at a hotel or something, they just bring you something to eat and you're happy!

I like things like onions, peppers, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepperoni, etc.. just standard stuff no weird fish topping or anything like that. I also like regular cheese pizzas which may be cheaper to prepare or otherwise acquire.

If you're interested please let me know and we can work out a deal.

Thanks,
    Laszlo

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10002

Quote Originally Posted by hotcross View Post
    its true guys

here's another, even worse. 10,000 BTC was worth about $40 at the time....posted in 2010 online site: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0

Pizza for bitcoins?
    May 18, 2010, 12:35:20 AM

I'll pay 10,000 bitcoins for a couple of pizzas.. like maybe 2 large ones so I have some left over for the next day. I like having left over pizza to nibble on later. You can make the pizza yourself and bring it to my house or order it for me from a delivery place, but what I'm aiming for is getting food delivered in exchange for bitcoins where I don't have to order or prepare it myself, kind of like ordering a 'breakfast platter' at a hotel or something, they just bring you something to eat and you're happy!

I like things like onions, peppers, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepperoni, etc.. just standard stuff no weird fish topping or anything like that. I also like regular cheese pizzas which may be cheaper to prepare or otherwise acquire.

If you're interested please let me know and we can work out a deal.

Thanks,
    Laszlo
    That was the first ever purchase I think using bitcoin. Was the first time someone used bitcoin to buy something. Who knows if it ever gets to where it is today without him doing that.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

my mom threw out my bitcoin collection as a kid due to fighting over it with my sister.....

had about 40-50 of them....