R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Like I said gentleman this is not hard to figure out and like everything in the world $$$$ and politics rule. Doubt any of us in here (myself included) have ever been in or around this type of situation 1st hand. But it's not hard to figure out just based on common fukking sense this is a business decision and most likely the players only have so much say in it ultimately.

You can go all rah rah team comes 1st but ultimately especially in this modern era it's dog eat dog every man for himself when it comes to career and getting paid. And of course it's not just the player or their family but outside business minded men who control and manage these guys. McCaffrey obviously not a candidate he's from an affluent family and will NEVER struggle financially throughout life unless he completely throws himself off a ledge. But truth is the vast majority of these guys don't have that safety net. Yeah it's just 1 gm yada yada but at this point their ticket for life is already punched why risk it? Their handlers are 100% at this point committing and focusing on that payday they've effectively already earned. Sad but true sports on past couple decades is 110% all about money more than ever.
    Last edited by R.P. McMurphy; 12-19-16 at 08:23 PM.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Both McCaffrey and Fournette have had injuries this year and Fournette has been pretty injury prone. Both of these guys have been at their schools for three years and seen their jerseys sold and all the money that has been made off of them. Fournette saw LSU fire his coach and show no loyalty whatsoever.

For people that have dreamed of playing sports and would gladly play for free, it is easy to parrot the rah rah bullshit. But these guys have seen the bullshit up close and made their schools millions with nothing to show for it and they are ready to move on.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Just ask yourself this simple question. I know it's "just 1 gm" and what's the worse that can happen right? Wink wink...let's say you "Joe Schmoe" who comes from a family in poverty already has a ticket to freedom waiting and huge payday that could help you, friends , family or whomever in ways you only imagine. Let's say the check can be voided with 1 slight mishap prior to it being handed out in a few months. Are you really gonna risk that? Just sayin being the "hero team guy" can have selfish consequences as well at times.

It's a catch 22 and sucks no doubt but I would never question these guys making a decision that could impact rest of their lives potentially. It's their life, career , and decision made between them and their people (managers, coaches, family , endorsers etc). All their teammates signed up for the same fukkin thing and know how the gm is played end of day no fukking crybabies!

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9059

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Just ask yourself this simple question. I know it's "just 1 gm" and what's the worse that can happen right? Wink wink...let's say you "Joe Schmoe" who comes from a family in poverty already has a ticket to freedom waiting and huge payday that could help you, friends , family or whomever in ways you only imagine. Let's say the check can be voided with 1 slight mishap prior to it being handed out in a few months. Are you really gonna risk that? Just sayin being the "hero team guy" can have selfish consequences as well at times.

It's a catch 22 and sucks no doubt but I would never question these guys making a decision that could impact rest of their lives potentially. It's their life, career , and decision made between them and their people (managers, coaches, family , endorsers etc). All their teammates signed up for the same fukkin thing and know how the gm is played end of day no fukking crybabies!
    If their teammates really care about them...They won't give a penetrate about them not playing in the Sun Bowl or some other midtier bowl. Look at the bright side, somebody else will get some playing time in their places.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Just 1 other point to make on the business front since many don't have a fukking clue how business 101 works. Think of players like a stock (injury potential aside) by this point your guy has established his draft worthiness for most part. Sure some can increase their ceiling in that final gm by playing it (potentially). But if your stock is already sky high why risk it by having a dud gm vs better than usual competition in a bowl gm that could give teams a pause? If you are already a top 5/10 pick ANY slight Fukk up from here on could see you slip and lose major $$. Think about it!

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

It is a slippery slope, so now Lamar Jackson just sits out the whole year so he doesn't get hurt or hurt his stock?

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    It is a slippery slope, so now Lamar Jackson just sits out the whole year so he doesn't get hurt or hurt his stock?
    He needs to play, show his arm more and other things in the pocket imo.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Why not? Why shouldn't be able to just turn pro? He has won the Heisman. What the hell else do you need to turn pro?

If I were Fornette, I definitely would have done that. Just trained for the combine. Jackson would probably do just as well to hire a coach and train.
    Last edited by Buffalo Nickle; 12-19-16 at 09:06 PM.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Well Lamar is a different story he's not eligible now. So yeah he needs to come back and play another year regardless. I'm talking more in regard to guys who have served their time in trenches and draft ready. My point is I'm fine either way they decide to go but end of day it's THEIR life and career not mine. If they have any issues injury or otherwise going down the stretch of that final year before draft and feel it's best to sit I'm not gonna complain or judge. Sure rather see them play on 1 hand but on other I understand they have personal reasons to consider.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10014

Can't bake a no-play clause into scholarship. What if guy is legitimately hurt, then does his scholarship get ripped? Clearly not but then you walk down that line of really hurt vs fake hurt. No win there.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Can't bake a no-play clause into scholarship. What if guy is legitimately hurt, then does his scholarship get ripped? Clearly not but then you walk down that line of really hurt vs fake hurt. No win there.
    Actually, if you get hurt you lose the scholarship. Most schools have changed that. But that was the way it worked until just a couple of years ago when the publicity was getting too hot.

rm18
    Update your status

Guys can buy insurance policies, especially if they have money like McCaffrey.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

He has one.

rm18
    Update your status

Ok well he s a pussy for not playing either way, but makes even less sense if he has an insurance policy. I would not draft him he may just quit on the team after a year or two when he has some money saved up.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Let's not forget Jaylon Smith of Notre Dame who tore his acl and lcl in the 2015 Fiesta Bowl last year, Smith was projected as the top pick instead he slipped to the 2nd round and got a 6.5 mil contract with a 2.9 mil signing bonus. Lets not forget Goff got 27.9 mil all guaranteed with an 18.9 mil signing bonus. Thats a difference of 21.4 mil. Go tell Jaylon he made the right decision by playing.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14757

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    They are getting paid, it's called a full ride scholarship. To most of these institutions that is worth about $40,000. It's not the University's fault not all athletes take advantage of it. Probably the reason there are so many broke diks after their 5 years in the nfl are done, looking for any chance to sue the league
    What a load of

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14757

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    I guess we are cut from different cloths.

If my son's on a team, he's sticking it out for the whole year. I never quit a team in my entire life during a season.
    That's why we're Dad's & not agents.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

It's not like I don't understand what all the posters are saying about "why McCaffery should leave". I totally get it.

Why not walk out after Freshman year?

Why not walk out after Sophomore year?

Fuk... why not just walk the fuk out.... whenever I feel like it.

Why are the other 60+ kids playing for Stanford in that game? Why don't they walk the fuk out? Oh...because they aren't good enough to get in the NFL? I see. What a great excuse to not walk out. I'm not good enough to be in the NFL.

You have an obligation to play that bowl game and finish the season. You aren't better than anyone else on that team. Period.

If you are so concerned about injury... why the fuk are you going to the NFL for? Oh... you want that signing bonus of 15-20 million... I see. Why congratulations Mr. McCaffrey. You won the ultimate prize.... you made it to the NFL... and left your collegiate team behind. Congratufukalations my man.

So let me get this straight so I can teach my son one day....

1. If you get a scholarship... it doesn't mean you're smart... it means you have athleticism.

2. It's not about getting an education in college it's about getting to the NFL.

3. Once you've decided you're good enough to be drafted... make sure you walk out on on your team.

And like I said... what these kids are doing is totally disrespectful. I want to know right now... if they were playing for the National Championship.... would they play then? You know damn well they would both play. Why should they even have a choice to play or not to play? Who are they to choose? Talk about a power trip. Hey I'm going to the NFL... so fuk you guys.

Hey guys... I don't feel like playing in Week 8 during this collegiate season... I think I'm going to sit out. I just have a feeling I might get hurt. You guys can win without me... right? We're a team. I have to protect my glass leg... I might play next week. Don't you guys worry. I'd punch that fukker right in the mouth if I saw him.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

make millions of dollars, or... blow out your knee and possibly never touch the $ you could have

pass

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    It's not like I don't understand what all the posters are saying about "why McCaffery should leave". I totally get it.

Why not walk out after Freshman year?

Why not walk out after Sophomore year?

Fuk... why not just walk the fuk out.... whenever I feel like it.

Why are the other 60+ kids playing for Stanford in that game? Why don't they walk the fuk out? Oh...because they aren't good enough to get in the NFL? I see. What a great excuse to not walk out. I'm not good enough to be in the NFL.

You have an obligation to play that bowl game and finish the season. You aren't better than anyone else on that team. Period.

If you are so concerned about injury... why the fuk are you going to the NFL for? Oh... you want that signing bonus of 15-20 million... I see. Why congratulations Mr. McCaffrey. You won the ultimate prize.... you made it to the NFL... and left your collegiate team behind. Congratufukalations my man.

So let me get this straight so I can teach my son one day....

1. If you get a scholarship... it doesn't mean you're smart... it means you have athleticism.

2. It's not about getting an education in college it's about getting to the NFL.

3. Once you've decided you're good enough to be drafted... make sure you walk out on on your team.

And like I said... what these kids are doing is totally disrespectful. I want to know right now... if they were playing for the National Championship.... would they play then? You know damn well they would both play. Why should they even have a choice to play or not to play? Who are they to choose? Talk about a power trip. Hey I'm going to the NFL... so fuk you guys.

Hey guys... I don't feel like playing in Week 8 during this collegiate season... I think I'm going to sit out. I just have a feeling I might get hurt. You guys can win without me... right? We're a team. I have to protect my glass leg... I might play next week. Don't you guys worry. I'd punch that fukker right in the mouth if I saw him.
    Money Shot must have bet on Stanford to be this upset. These guys don't owe you or anybody else anything. These games are played strictly for fun and the fresh air. If he will not enjoy playing the game, he should not play. Let someone else learn the life lessons to be taught at Stanford for free.

If you were to punch McCaffrey, you'd be unconscious in two seconds.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

Doesn't owe it to the college owes it to his team and tradition of the game of football. If your playing a combat sport and your top concern is about your safety you are probably gonna slip a couple spots on draft day.

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    make millions of dollars, or... blow out your knee and possibly never touch the $ you could have

pass

Buffalo Nickle

So many hopeless romantics. Really recommend Gone with the Wind. Such a beautiful romance. Rhett never would have skipped the Sun Bowl to save himself from injury and learned the life lessons of the glorious sport of football which should be played for free while everyone else makes millions.

Buffalo Nickle

How about skipping a game because you are getting fukked in the ass as a player. I hope more of these guys walk out on these scumbags.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Jayvegas420

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

If physical safety and long term financial security are your main priorities there are better choices than being an NFL running back. Especially in McCaffrey's case.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    If physical safety and long term financial security are your main priorities there are better choices than being an NFL running back. Especially in McCaffrey's case.
    so what should he do other than being an NFL running back that will pay him millions even if he sucks(signing bonus)?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    ...These games are played strictly for fun and the fresh air...

This is simply not true and seems naive. There is so much more to the organization of the Bowl Games and their purpose.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

If it was my son, and he had a for sure $$$$$ contract waiting for him just as long as he doesn't get hurt - I'd absolutely hold him out of any bowl game that's meaningless.

The only negative sitting out of these games could have for the player is if a team drafting thinks less of you for doing it.

Plaza23

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    For the millionth time not even close. He's still getting hired, you act like his career is over if he plays in the bowl.
    Nobody wants to wind up like Willis McGahee. He was very LUCKY to still get drafted in the 1st round after his injury in the bowl game, even the Bills knowing he would miss the next season.

I don't agree at all with NBA players sitting out any games. The fans paid to see you. The television dollars that were paid to broadcast the game were paid due to you. There should not be any NBA players resting for any games.

But a guy like McCaffrey or Fournette are still amateurs. They aren't being paid. They have not signed any contracts. If they sit out the game, so be it. If I was their college, I would immediately revoke their scholarhips and not allow them use of the facilities. But other than that, I don't have a problem with what they are doing.

Plaza23

Actually, if you get hurt you lose the scholarship.
    That has never been the case. Any football player that gets hurt playing football for a D1 school is put on something called a "medical waiver" where they remain on scholarship but they are not allowed to play football.

Lot of players who turn out to not be very good, but who coaches still want to use their scholarhips, are classified as injured in order to get their scholarships and use on other recruits. It doesn't hurt the player though because they still get their free school/housing for 4 years.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It is embarrassing and shows a player lives in fear

lol he can rip Achilles JUST TRAINING AS MANY DO

Guy a known pussy at stanford too

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16157

I don't care who plays or doesn't play...the only thing that matters is that the game will still be played and we can bet on it.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

So many hopeless romantics. Really recommend Gone with the Wind. Such a beautiful romance.
    Has zero to do with a novel. His integrity is zero. If I was a GM for a team... I'd pass on him. Has zero heart as a team player.

I really thought this kid was a bad ass player... super bad ass. Thought very highly of him. It clearly tells me he isn't a team player... thinks he has this "stardom" power now. Too bad he's just a bitch white boy... might even be Tim Teblowish now. Zenner on Detroit plays with more heart than this fad.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Has zero to do with a novel. His integrity is zero. If I was a GM for a team... I'd pass on him. Has zero heart as a team player.

I really thought this kid was a bad ass player... super bad ass. Thought very highly of him. It clearly tells me he isn't a team player... thinks he has this "stardom" power now. Too bad he's just a bitch white boy... might even be Tim Teblowish now. Zenner on Detroit plays with more heart than this fad.
    Yeah right. The only thing any of you guys are upset about is that they are refusing to play for free. You don't care about this There is No I In Team Bullshit any more than you do not believe in compensating players with scholarships. You just don't want them getting any more than a scholarship. You are concerned that more players are gong to do it and that will lead to players getting paid.

These guys are exposing that there is no Santa Claus. Every fan wants scholarships but no more. They don't want to have to watch non-scholarship football because they want to see the best players. They just want to make sure they will not get paid to do it.

But if they did get paid, you would be completely against not paying them because then you would have to watch that shit.

Why aren't any of you guys against scholarships? That is the real problem. Do away with scholarships and this all goes away.

Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Coaches who dump their teams before bowl games are worse than players who decide not to play.

First 12345 Last