Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

Purdue Fires Head Coach After 3-3 Start

I actually thought that was a good record for a Purdue football team.

Purdue has fired coach Darrell Hazell following the Boilermakers 49-35 loss to Iowa on Saturday, according to reports by GoldandBlack.com and Nathan Baird of the Journal & Courier.
    Hazell was in his fourth season as Purdue's coach and had amassed a 9-33 record, but failed to win back-to-back games during his tenure. In 2016, Purdue was 3-3 with only one Big Ten win, a 34-31 win over Illinois.
    Receivers coach Gerad Parker will reportedly serve as the Boilermakers interim coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...ter-3-3-start/

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

9-33 record

That's the reason he was fired.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

purdue

garbage school

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

Purdue can't wait until the end of the season?

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

My buddy has a huge prop on them over 4.5 wins...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They're hanging in there but nowadays you got a win baby

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Lousy program these days.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

Darrell Hazell never had much of a chance to succeed.

Purdue is the hardest job in the Big Ten, as the third-most-relevant FBS program in the state of Indiana (behind Notre Dame and Indiana). Resources and facilities lag behind other conference teams, and Hazell didn’t enjoy a lot of financial support.

In 2015, according to USA Today’s salary database, the Boilermakers’ total coaching staff pay was near the bottom of the Power 5, behind Kansas and just above Army. Then this past offseason, Hazell’s big staff moves were to promote an offensive coordinator (Terry Malone) from within and hire a defensive coordinator (Ross Els) who had been out of coaching the previous season.

Hazell also inherited a roster with major talent deficiencies thanks to some poor recruiting by his predecessor, Danny Hope, who went 22-27 in four seasons before getting fired.

But Hazell, who was fired Sunday after going 9-33 in three-plus seasons at Purdue, didn’t give himself a great chance to succeed, either.

His indecisiveness was on display in his last game as Purdue’s coach on Saurday. Trailing Iowa 35-7, he called timeout to stop the clock with two seconds left in the first half, intending to set up a Hail Mary. The Boilers then took a knee after the timeout, leaving the field to a chorus of boos.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post...darrell-hazell

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Hazell is just another MAC coach that had no business getting a big job. That said, 3-3 so far this year was his best start to date. Unless he won 6, he was getting fired anyways, so by doing it now, they can start looking for a new coach. They'll just end up hiring another bad coach.

Even more incredible, Hazell had something like a $10 million buyout that he'll cash in. The AD that gave him that deal has already quit.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

once again

purdue

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Hazell is just another MAC coach that had no business getting a big job.
    Well shit, you gotta start somewhere. A lot of really good coaches got their start in the MAC. Meyer, Butch Jones, Saban, Pinkell, and a few that I think are already showing how good they are like Doeren and Clawson.

Another big problem with Purdue was the amount and quality of kids transferring out. Tough to buy into a system when nobody else wants to either. Tried to sell itself as "Quarterback U", then the QBs started to bounce.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Who would want the job unless it is someone looking to pocket a few bucks.

Underdog5229
    Chillin w/Goat til We Do it Again
    Underdog5229's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1604

calling up les miles as we speak

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

You're right, I meant these 1-year wonders in the MAC getting big jobs. Hazzell had one good year with a team he didn't even recruit, and Purdue gave him a deal better than Nick Saban.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Well shit, you gotta start somewhere. A lot of really good coaches got their start in the MAC. Meyer, Butch Jones, Saban, Pinkell, and a few that I think are already showing how good they are like Doeren and Clawson.

Another big problem with Purdue was the amount and quality of kids transferring out. Tough to buy into a system when nobody else wants to either. Tried to sell itself as "Quarterback U", then the QBs started to bounce.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

purdue

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Thought he would have got the season after 3-3

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

remember when the program was much more respectable

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

purdue

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

If you don't invest money, you will not build a football program. It's all about the money. You have to pay top assistants, you have to lure kids with facilities and perks, you have get the alumni and boosters to buy in with cash money to attract the 5 stars. Purdon't won't.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

purdue

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    You're right, I meant these 1-year wonders in the MAC getting big jobs. Hazzell had one good year with a team he didn't even recruit, and Purdue gave him a deal better than Nick Saban.
    Yikes! Didn't know that part.

purdue

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

purdue

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It's in a nice area I don't think there's emphasis on the football program any longer

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

Maybe they can get Brian Kelly worthless ass after ND cans him

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    If you don't invest money, you will not build a football program. It's all about the money. You have to pay top assistants, you have to lure kids with facilities and perks, you have get the alumni and boosters to buy in with cash money to attract the 5 stars. Purdon't won't.
    Paying the players is the best way. That's how they do it in the SEC.

Fired coach had 7-5 record when fired I think. I'm sure he wouldn't have done any better but I love it when a school fires a coach with a winning record and then goes in the dumper.

It is possible to win at Purdue but it takes real talent. They really should look at hiring a coach on the cheap and giving the players some dough under the table.

SandMan25
    SandMan25's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 795

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    purdue

garbage school

Purdue wasn't always garbage man. Drew Brees man, Drew Brees!!

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Tracy Clas for Minnesota is next. Terrible coach.

Buffalo Nickle

Read Bo Pelini is interested. I imagine Purdue would rather lose than hire Pelini but that would be a heck of a hire for Purdue.

Ralphie Halves

I thought Pelini got a raw deal in Nebraska. Good bounceback candidate if he really is interested.

Buffalo Nickle

I thought Pelini got a raw deal in Nebraska. Good bounceback candidate if he really is interested.
    Yeah. That's is a school that definitely deserves what they have gotten with Solich and Pelini.

I don't think there is any way Purdue would hire Pelini but he would kick whoever they hire's ass after four years.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    Yeah. That's is a school that definitely deserves what they have gotten with Solich and Pelini.

I don't think there is any way Purdue would hire Pelini but he would kick whoever they hire's ass after four years.
    Solich did pretty well for himself after leaving IMO.

In the near term, we have Purdue +24 vs them Huskers, coming off an unpopular coach getting fired. Liking it a lot. Huskers O was clunky and turnover prone against a trash IU defense. Now they're going to win by 24 points?

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Ralphie, I usually agree with most of what you say. But Pelini? He was going nowhere fast. Nebraska had a 1st class organization set up already for him and he under-performed. I think that big game where Wisky ran all over them was the nail in his coffin.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Dont matter who they hire....if the boosters not paying the players are not coming

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It's in a nice area I don't think there's emphasis on the football program any longer
    you think Purdue is located in a nice area???

unreal

you are so fukking stupid

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    Ralphie, I usually agree with most of what you say. But Pelini? He was going nowhere fast. Nebraska had a 1st class organization set up already for him and he under-performed. I think that big game where Wisky ran all over them was the nail in his coffin.
    I would say they had a 1st class organization set up for Bill Callahan, but he couldn't do anything at all, and by the time Pelini got there, that program was no longer the place to be. He still ended up with 9 and 10 win seasons.

The problem Husker alumni (like Tommie Frazier) had were the same problems old Miami Hurricane alumni had with their coaches -- They were all dumb enough to think their program was still relevant. Neither one of them are. They should all be thrilled with a 10 win season, for what are now 2nd tier programs. Same shit going on in Texas now. If you're not our legendary coach from decades ago, if you so even glance in the wrong direction, we'll run you out of town. Dumb dumb dumb.

And with that O-line, the 2002 Ravens weren't even going to be able to stop Wisky's running game.

12 Last