1. #71
    swordsandtequila
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-23-12
    Posts: 9,653
    Betpoints: 3136

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    The question was who is/was a better player. That is not even up for discussion if you actually watched basketball closely after the 2000s. There is no way that Tim Duncan could single handedly dominate games like Kobe Bryant. Bryant had no weaknesses in his prime.....none.
    No, the question was who had the better career.

    Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan: Who had The Better Career?
    And Kobe had one glaring weakness, his ego. If not for that he would have won more titles (see Shaquille O'Neal).
    Points Awarded:

    gauchojake gave swordsandtequila 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  2. #72
    R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-15-12
    Posts: 9,654
    Betpoints: 28

    Yeah Duncan not hated by everyone around the league as well. Kobe just seems like biggest asshole, terrible teammate. Not a good sell overall in most fans eyes , writers eyes which will hinder his legacy. We know Shaq and Phil cannot stand him and I heard someone on radio bout a year back saying he hangs with nobody off the floor and does not really have friends around the league. Super talented no doubt if you want a ball hogging asshole , hard to coach and nobody likes on your squad. When all is said and done stats and rings aside Duncan will have a better legacy, and career in most peoples eyes I believe.

  3. #73
    marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-05-10
    Posts: 3,868
    Betpoints: 3917

    since Duncan has been in the NBA Spurs have never had less than 50wins in a season. Great team player.
    Kobe a better individual player

  4. #74
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,936
    Betpoints: 78

    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Kobe just seems like biggest asshole, terrible teammate. Not a good sell overall in most fans eyes , writers eyes which will hinder his legacy. We know Shaq and Phil cannot stand him and I heard someone on radio bout a year back saying he hangs with nobody off the floor and does not really have friends around the league.

    Nah man, he just seems like an asshole because of his killer instinct and well because he's the greatest player ever.

  5. #75
    cwnotorious
    cwnotorious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-13-13
    Posts: 956
    Betpoints: 10757

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Nah man, he just seems like an asshole because of his killer instinct and well because he's the greatest player ever.
    He is not even the greatest laker

  6. #76
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,936
    Betpoints: 78

    Quote Originally Posted by cwnotorious View Post
    He is not even the greatest laker


    Ummmm, but magic said he was. sooo lolz

  7. #77
    R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-15-12
    Posts: 9,654
    Betpoints: 28

    I don't get into all that greatest ever nonsense however considering he's a Jordan clone how can he be the goat? I always called him a poor man's MJ lol. All the greats have killer instinct but if you think for a second Magic , Larry or MJ had they played in today's free agent era would have been alone on an island past 5 years or so your crazy. Guys would have been killing each other to hook up with them andsay they played with the best hope to get a ring.

  8. #78
    swordsandtequila
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-23-12
    Posts: 9,653
    Betpoints: 3136

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Nah man, he just seems like an asshole because of his killer instinct and well because he's the greatest player ever.
    Not even close.

    Quote Originally Posted by cwnotorious View Post
    He is not even the greatest laker


    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Ummmm, but magic said he was. sooo lolz
    Magic's being nice, don't think for a second he believes it.

  9. #79
    marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-05-10
    Posts: 3,868
    Betpoints: 3917

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Nah man, he just seems like an asshole because of his killer instinct and well because he's the greatest player ever.
    how can the greatest have only 1 mvp?

  10. #80
    Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-14
    Posts: 1,936
    Betpoints: 78

    Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    how can the greatest have only 1 mvp?

    ummm, he's got 5 rings and I believe 5 nba finals mvp's. He's always carried those teams.

  11. #81
    mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-04-15
    Posts: 1,031
    Betpoints: 12

    Quote Originally Posted by POOLSIDE View Post
    An empty staples center lololol. What flyover state are you from? This sounds like geographic Napoleon complex. I lived a few blocks away from the stadium for many years and I've been to a trillion Kobe era Lakers games. They were packed every time.

    Florida State vs Houston at the peach bowl? Great article. Same thing as Kobe in Los Angeles. Very relevant.

    Haha I love how people who live in the shit hole of LA say things like flyover state....you have no idea where I live and before you say I have no idea about La I have lived their before. Guess what there are over 200 million people in America who don't live in California! Typical La douche.


  12. #82
    The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-25-11
    Posts: 28,892
    Betpoints: 192

    Duncan would probably garner more votes because people have short memories and forget that Kobe was so great for so long

    Duncan has benefited from a better team and a better coach, so his decline hasn't been nearly as exagerated as Kobe's

    I say their careers have been both equally impressive

  13. #83
    The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-25-11
    Posts: 28,892
    Betpoints: 192

    LA is one of my favorite cities, but I wouldn't live their without a hazmat suit

  14. #84
    mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-04-15
    Posts: 1,031
    Betpoints: 12

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    LA is one of my favorite cities, but I wouldn't live their without a hazmat suit

  15. #85
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 91,277
    Betpoints: 3199

    Most folks here aren't old enough to weigh in. I have seen both from day 1.

    It's not fair to compare 2 players from different spots on the court.

    Kobe was a beast. It's not always numbers.

    Duncan's ability to adjust was what made him so special. He was a man amongst boyz.

    Both great.

  16. #86
    packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-22-13
    Posts: 17,954
    Betpoints: 1494

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    Ummmm, but magic said he was. sooo lolz
    Magic is to damn cocky to not consider himself the greatest Laker.

  17. #87
    xKMACKx
    xKMACKx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-16-08
    Posts: 1,272
    Betpoints: 3689

    It is impossible to compare who the better player is. Comparing different positions is pointless. However, Tim Duncan has had the better career, if that is the barometer were going by here.

  18. #88
    The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-25-11
    Posts: 28,892
    Betpoints: 192

    Comparing players is pointless, because to do so you would have to put two different players in exactly identical situations, and that can never be done.

    So it's all water cooler talk.

  19. #89
    POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-06-14
    Posts: 2,839
    Betpoints: 285

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewlgm View Post
    Haha I love how people who live in the shit hole of LA say things like flyover state....you have no idea where I live and before you say I have no idea about La I have lived their before. Guess what there are over 200 million people in America who don't live in California! Typical La douche.

    Hey, most other people don't make it here either. No need to get nasty.

  20. #90
    will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-26-09
    Posts: 8,108

    Can't compare different position but if you had to, Kobe is a creator and Duncan is a reactor; Both successful but the creator is more important. Kobe Bryant is the answer here.

  21. #91
    gauchojake
    Fansplainer
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-17-10
    Posts: 32,233
    Betpoints: 5185

    The metrics by which we compare the greats are titles and rap albums and to my knowledge, Tim never released one. Kobe wins.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/28/2022


  22. #92
    Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-05-08
    Posts: 2,249
    Betpoints: 11811

    Some solid data, courtesy of basketball-reference.com

    Kobe Bryant, 48093 minutes played, 172.6 Win shares, 72.2 Value over replacement player
    Tim Duncan, 46810 minutes played, 204.8 Win Shares, 88.6 Value over replacement player.

    Looks pretty clear in favor of Duncan, if you want the overall best player. True, Kobe has more offensive contribution, but defense counts too.

  23. #93
    gauchojake
    Fansplainer
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-17-10
    Posts: 32,233
    Betpoints: 5185

    Well I think I found the bit of minutia that will convince everyone that Kobe's career>Duncan's Career (that is what we're talking about right?)

    Kobe:Weekly & Monthly Awards

    Player of the Week: 33 times


    Player of the Month: 17 times


    Duncan: Weekly & Monthly Awards


    Player of the Week: 23 times



    Player of the Month: 3 times
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/28/2022


  24. #94
    POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-06-14
    Posts: 2,839
    Betpoints: 285

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Some solid data, courtesy of basketball-reference.com

    Kobe Bryant, 48093 minutes played, 172.6 Win shares, 72.2 Value over replacement player
    Tim Duncan, 46810 minutes played, 204.8 Win Shares, 88.6 Value over replacement player.

    Looks pretty clear in favor of Duncan, if you want the overall best player. True, Kobe has more offensive contribution, but defense counts too.
    Defense counts too? In what fantasy world do you have Duncan as a better defender than Kobe? I don't give a shit what numbers come up. Guys simply were not going at Kobe for the majority of his career.

    This is like saying another db is better than Richard Sherman because he had more interceptions. You're forgetting the part that doesn't show up on paper, where no one throws at Sherman more than once or twice a game.

  25. #95
    Tony Williams
    Turquoise Jeep Records
    Tony Williams's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-16-14
    Posts: 974
    Betpoints: 12

    wow a normal thread

First 123
Top