sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

How Much Money Do You Need to Live in Las Vegas?

Doesn't mention anything about Gambling Bankroll

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/090915/how-much-money-do-you-need-live-las-vegas.asp?partner=YahooSA

Living in Las Vegas is alluring, with its world-class nightlife, bountiful outdoor recreation and an average of 330 sunny days per year. The income you need to live in Las Vegas depends on factors that include the part of town you call home and whether you have dependents to support. Average costs for necessities such as rent, utilities, food and transportation provide an excellent place to start.
    Las Vegas Averages

The cost of rent, food and even things such as gas vary wildly in Las Vegas depending on the neighborhood. Not surprisingly, everything is more expensive around The Strip, where tourists, many of them wealthy, descend in droves with piles of money to spend on entertainment. Even on the outskirts of town, certain suburbs, such as Henderson, cost more to live in than others, such as North Las Vegas. The following figures are based on citywide averages and may end up being lower or higher depending on where you settle.
    Las Vegas Average Rent

As of May 2015, the average apartment in Las Vegas rents for $1,135 per month. One-bedroom units rent, on average, for $819, while two-bedroom rentals average $1,028 per month.
    Luxury apartments on or near the Strip frequently rent for more than $2,000 per month. On the other end of the gamut, some of the least expensive apartments rent for under $700 per month. Many of these are in neighborhoods that have high crime rates or are blighted.
    Las Vegas Average Utilities

Las Vegas is famous for blazing hot summers with daily highs well above 100 degrees. Many people are unaware, however, that the city can get very cold in the winter, sometimes even accumulating snow. Fall and spring, by contrast, are pleasant. As a utility customer, expect your monthly bill to vacillate significantly based on the time of year. The average utility bill for a 1,000-square-foot apartment in Las Vegas is $180 per month.
    Las Vegas Average Food Costs

Food costs in Las Vegas hover around the national average. A gallon of milk costs $3.41, and you can get a dozen large eggs for $2.35. A loaf of bread costs $2.26, and $4 can buy you a pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. By grocery shopping in bulk and severely limiting meals eaten in restaurants, you can maintain a healthy, filling diet in Las Vegas for $400 per month or under.
    Las Vegas Transportation

Driving in Las Vegas is very expensive compared to most cities. As a car owner in Las Vegas, your biggest costs, other than the vehicle itself, will be auto insurance and gas. Monthly insurance premiums run twice as much in Las Vegas compared to other cities in Nevada. Even for minimum coverage, it is not uncommon to pay $100 per month or more. Gas is similarly costly in Sin City. As of August 2015, the average Las Vegas gas price is $3.20 per gallon, which is 29% higher than the national average.

If you do not drive, a one-way bus ticket in Las Vegas costs $2, or you can purchase an unlimited monthly pass for $65.
    Living in Las Vegas as a Student

Las Vegas is a big draw for college students. The nightlife is incomparable, and the weather is ideal for young, active people. With smart budgeting, living in Las Vegas as a student is possible on a shoestring budget. While rents are slightly elevated near the city's largest university, the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, you can find two-bedroom apartments for around $1,200. Apartments typically allow two residents per bedroom; sharing a two-bedroom apartment with three other students means your rent share is only $300 per month. Your utility bill is similarly divided: assuming it comes to $200, you pay $50. Add food costs of $400 per month and minimal transportation costs, since, ideally, your apartment will be close to campus, and you can cover basic necessities as a student in Las Vegas on $1,000 per month.
    Living in Las Vegas as a Professional

Professionals can live in Las Vegas on a modest salary, though their living costs are almost always higher than that of students. Most professionals prefer not to have roommates and prefer to drive to their destinations.
    As a Las Vegas professional, you should count on $1,100 to $1,200 for rent and around $200 per month for utilities. Your car insurance could also be as much as $200 per month. Depending on the length of your commute, monthly gas costs are anywhere from $100 to $200 or more. A professional can still keep a food budget of $400 per month, but even a few meals out on the Strip each month can blow that budget.
    It is feasible to live in Las Vegas as a professional on $2,500 per month, or $30,000 per year, but it requires strict budgeting. A yearly income of $40,000 to $50,000 leaves more room for emergencies and extraneous costs, not to mention a little extra money to enjoy the city every once in a while.
    Living in Las Vegas as an Unemployed Job-Seeker

Las Vegas is not an ideal city to live in when unemployed and looking for a job. The maximum weekly unemployment benefit in Nevada is $407. It is difficult enough to pay for rent, utilities and food on that amount. When you add car expenses – pretty much a necessity so you can get to job interviews – it becomes a mathematical impossibility.
    As of August 2015, the Las Vegas metro area unemployment rate is 7.3%. That is significantly higher than the national rate of 5.5%, and the number does not even tell the whole story. Even if you land a job quickly, there's a decent chance that you will still end up struggling to pay the bills. Thousands of Las Vegas residents who are employed still cannot make a living because service jobs, many of which do not even pay a living wage, dominate the city.
    The city's high unemployment rate and dearth of decent-paying jobs combined with Nevada's low unemployment benefit amount makes Las Vegas a poor relocation choice for an unemployed person seeking work.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14967

The answer is $2,700
    Points Awarded:

DiggityDaggityDo gave Jayvegas420 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JoeyBagels

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32114

Living in Vegas is cheap. Cant stand that weather though.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12533

Jesus h. Titty I could save money renting in vegas

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

First, I would try to have relations with a stripper. At least she makes her own money. Then we'd probably do blow all day.

DiggityDaggityDo

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    First, I would try to have relations with a stripper. At least she makes her own money. Then we'd probably do blow all day.
    Money, would you eat that booty after she got off 8 hour shift of dancing the poll and lap dances?

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Vegas will make you stronger

Only the strong will survive

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It's a city that would chew you alive if you have bad habits

Stay away

It's a Third World city

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Shit town.

Pass.

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Vegas will make you stronger

Only the strong will survive
    Take it from an old veteran of Vegas-Wars, not many can pull that off. My guess, especially if these gambler's are under 30, one in 40.
    For the gullible and the dimwitted; no way Jose! I thank you for taking my advice. You know I know, don't you SBR members?
    And for my nagger's on SBR, I am wired and ready, so be cautious.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Shit town.

Pass.
    coming from someone in canada

tony_come

^honiest that drink will kill you man

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

ABE IS ON ONE WATCH OUT

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    coming from someone in canada
    39er,

Toronto is a way nicer city than Vegas.

It is laughable that it could even be compared. I am assuming that I am the only of the two of us that has been to both...

Vegas nice place to visit. Not a nice place to live.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: tiktok

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    39er,

Toronto is a way nicer city than Vegas.

It is laughable that it could even be compared. I am assuming that I am the only of the two of us that has been to both...

Vegas nice place to visit. Not a nice place to live.

actually been to both. Liked Vegas it depends where you live and if you can handle everything that goes with it.

DiggityDaggityDo

jjgold

3rd poorest City in U.S.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    3rd poorest City in U.S.
    You and your made up facts

jjgold

I live here

It's a trash city

Go look at data

Biff41
    Biff41's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4769

Vegas is very sensitive to economic downturns and looking at China we may not be too far off from another.

Vegas39

I live in Newark

It's a trash city

Go look at data
    fixed

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'd be 300Lbs living in vegas not to mention probably have 4 kids ... i'd still like to have a place there ....working on it.

tony_come

How much do you have?

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19128

Best advice is too have a job when you get out here.
    I had a job when I moved out here.
    Hard to find work out here. Still can't land a second job.
    The reason why I want a second job is that this summer, when work slows down, I got less than 25 hours a week.
    I'll be back over 30 in about a month from now, but summer is a struggle out here.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    fixed
    but he is in Vegas....

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11258

I lived in Hendeson for 7 yrs and really liked it by Green Valley Ranch, cost of living was cheap, taxes, housing, so much to do at all hours of the night .... close to Ariz and Calif if you want the Ocean or go to big sporting events ...etc.... I know lots dont like it, but it has lots to offer if you have some control and discipline

teaserpleaser

Thinking of getting a pruis and splitting time between so cal and vegas its only 200 miles from my Inland empire grow spot... That's insane you can get into summerlin for a decent price I expected It to be more expensive.

teaserpleaser

5 bed 3 bath for 290k that might get you a house like that in palmdale here in so cal ....try not to get shot,rapped,or mugged.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Thinking of getting a pruis and splitting time between so cal and vegas its only 200 miles from my Inland empire grow spot... That's insane you can get into summerlin for a decent price I expected It to be more expensive.
    your product has a 150% higher markup in vegas compared to socal.

summerlin is nice but unless you are spending 600k or more you will have a postage stamp backyard.

some of the older well kept neighborhoods are where you can find a well built home with a big yard from 175-300k.

jjgold

Do you guys realize why so much housing is cheap in Vegas????????

PEOPLE ARE FUKKIN POOR and its very very uneducated

When cocktail waitresses make more than Dr's you know its a dumb City

Most people make between $9-15 per hr

Its a poor City..not many places in USA where you can rent for $600-$800 a month

Memphis, Detroit and a few others

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    your product has a 150% higher markup in vegas compared to socal.

summerlin is nice but unless you are spending 600k or more you will have a postage stamp backyard.

some of the older well kept neighborhoods are where you can find a well built home with a big yard from 175-300k.
    Damn that's nice to know Grits Thanks for the info.

jjgold

Summerlin all army barracks unless what Gritter said

People have zero clue how poor Vegas really is

Most of the Vegas money is from 2nd home people living elsewhere

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16061

Summerlin all army barracks unless what Gritter said

People have zero clue how poor Vegas really is

Most of the Vegas money is from 2nd home people living elsewhere
    At least when I am there the economic value goes up 50% and the GNP skyrockets pal
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Jayvegas420

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

4 dollars a pound for chicken breast? what a ripoff

jjgold

The only thing that is cheap in Vegas is apartments

Food and everything else is like any other city

Utility bills a little lower

Wages are one of the lowest in United States

Let's not forget this is is not a typical city and there's no real business district

12 Last