1. #1
    Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-24-10
    Posts: 21,414
    Betpoints: 125

    Are the Blackhawks the Clutchest Hockey Team of All Time?

    In 2010, Kane finishes the Flyers with a goal in OT. Game 6 I think. In 2013, Hawks win game 6 again in what is easily the clutchest 2 minute performance in NHL History. Down 2-1 in Boston with 1:30 to go and they score 2 goals in 1 minute to win the Stanley Cup on the road. This series. Clutch plays every 3rd period. Seal it in the 3rd period again with a clutch Kane goal. Every other year, they're in the mix. The lost to the Kings once or twice -- another one of the clutchest teams of this era.

    And their core players are all in their prime. This team can easily win 2, 3 more cups if they keep putting pieces around them. This team is built like those red wings teams in the 90s and early 2000s. Unreal.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/13/2019

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/06/2019


  2. #2
    cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-08
    Posts: 4,903
    Betpoints: 450

    Kings were more clutch than them in my opinion, Great run, they peeked at right time, We didnt know how Kane would be coming off serious injury? Definitely impressive but I believe other teams in history were more clutch

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/18/2019


  3. #3
    Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-24-10
    Posts: 21,414
    Betpoints: 125

    Quote Originally Posted by cankid View Post
    Kings were more clutch than them in my opinion, Great run, they peeked at right time, We didnt know how Kane would be coming off serious injury? Definitely impressive but I believe other teams in history were more clutch
    I don't know. I started watching Hockey in 1995. Since then the two clutchest teams I've seen are the Blackhawks and Kings of this era. I still think the Red Wings teams with Stevie Y, Federov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Mccartey, Kozlov, Larianov, etc, was probably the best team I've ever seen, but clutchest is a different category for me. The way this team keeps their cool in 3rd periods and constantly makes plays every year is crazy. I wonder if they can keep this up. Kings had their 3 year stretch where they are easily in that discussion too. But I'm not so sure the Kings can still keep up that magic like the Blackhawks have for 5 years and still going.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/13/2019

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/06/2019


  4. #4
    thechaoz
    2019 SBR Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-23-09
    Posts: 8,722
    Betpoints: 28901

    3 out of 6 is a dynasty. Bay area fan fwiw

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/18/2019


  5. #5
    TheMoneyShot
    If You Ain't First... You're Last
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 22,738

    I'll give Chicago credit... they have a team CORE like no other. The head coach is unreal. Makes fantastic moves. I don't know how long Scotty Bowman has been there? But you have to give him credit also.

    Tampa Bay had numerous chances... it just wasn't in the cards.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/10/2019

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/03/2019

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/18/2019


  6. #6
    goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-17-10
    Posts: 5,445
    Betpoints: 94

    I think the kings are probably more clutch. 3 game 7s on the road including chicago. Coming back from 3-0 in the first round. And then their other cup they won what like 15 in a row on the road during the playoffs. Chicago is a great team though

  7. #7
    goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-17-10
    Posts: 5,445
    Betpoints: 94

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    I don't know. I started watching Hockey in 1995. Since then the two clutchest teams I've seen are the Blackhawks and Kings of this era. I still think the Red Wings teams with Stevie Y, Federov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Mccartey, Kozlov, Larianov, etc, was probably the best team I've ever seen, but clutchest is a different category for me. The way this team keeps their cool in 3rd periods and constantly makes plays every year is crazy. I wonder if they can keep this up. Kings had their 3 year stretch where they are easily in that discussion too. But I'm not so sure the Kings can still keep up that magic like the Blackhawks have for 5 years and still going.
    If they win one cup in the next 3 years theyre in the same discussion with chicago easily

  8. #8
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 74,336
    Betpoints: 1691

    Hawks probably should have won last year as well. For so many years the hawks were a joke. So glad to see an original six franchise do this.

    I think the islanders of the early 80's were more clutch.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/13/2019

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$


  9. #9
    nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-27-06
    Posts: 5,710
    Betpoints: 2089

    Islanders in early 80's were much much more clutch. The isles won 4 in a row that even the oilers didnt do.

  10. #10
    RollinDo
    Pickin' up Momentum with every lost Bet!
    RollinDo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-04-13
    Posts: 13,322
    Betpoints: 5181

    I'll just say this...the Hawks were not expected to do much in playoffs this season after the struggles they had in regular season...even up to final week.
    They were fortunate to draw the Preds in 1st round as they were limping heading into playoffs. I thought Wild and Hawks were about evenly matched with momentum on Wild side.
    Didn't think they would beat Ducks. That was biggest surprise of entire playoffs.
    They just turn it up a notch every playoff season...that is NOT an easy feat in hockey...any sport really

  11. #11
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar Saloon Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 315,365

    Playoffs loaded with players

    will be right there again next year

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  12. #12
    THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-25-08
    Posts: 6,556
    Betpoints: 2827

    Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    Islanders in early 80's were much much more clutch. The isles won 4 in a row that even the oilers didnt do.
    Montreal also won 4 in a row right before the Islanders did, but this was back when the league was 17-21 teams. Winning 3 cups in 6 years is pretty amazing now days

  13. #13
    King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-22-10
    Posts: 19,765
    Betpoints: 617

    Chicago dead after this year..

    Salary cap..

  14. #14
    t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-18-09
    Posts: 37,865
    Betpoints: 2283

    When you suck so bad for so long it eventually turns around. This franchise was the laughing stock of the league for years. They assembled a bunch of high draft picks and whattya know, they got really good.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/10/2019


  15. #15
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 74,336
    Betpoints: 1691

    Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    When you suck so bad for so long it eventually turns around. This franchise was the laughing stock of the league for years. They assembled a bunch of high draft picks and whattya know, they got really good.
    Yeah but others tried the draft route. Stan bowman is a salary cap master.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/13/2019

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$


  16. #16
    chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-16-07
    Posts: 4,571
    Betpoints: 18

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I'll give Chicago credit... they have a team CORE like no other. The head coach is unreal. Makes fantastic moves. I don't know how long Scotty Bowman has been there? But you have to give him credit also.
    Coach Q has been a genius at times .. but you nailed it there. Scotty Bowman and his son have arguably given a lesson to the rest of the league to date how to navigate the salary cap successfully.

  17. #17
    SEKTAUR
    SEKTAUR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-04-11
    Posts: 705
    Betpoints: 12371

    very clutch but not clutchest or they wouldnt have lost to Kings last year

  18. #18
    pavyracer
    What?
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 63,878
    Betpoints: 8244

    The 1993 Habs where the clutchest of all teams.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: aston
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/06/2019


  19. #19
    smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-19-08
    Posts: 12,413
    Betpoints: 1306

    I prefer clutchiest.

  20. #20
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 28,039
    Betpoints: 9119

    Somebody needs to look at what the Islanders did in the late 70's and early 80's before calling 3 out of 6 a dynasty.

    1983 -- New York Islanders
    1982 -- New York Islanders
    1981 -- New York Islanders
    1980 -- New York Islanders
    1979 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1978 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1977 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1976 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1975 -- Philadelphia Flyers
    1974 -- Philadelphia Flyers
    1973 -- Montreal Canadiens

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/18/2019


  21. #21
    UncleChael
    @TonyFergusonXT
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-13
    Posts: 3,351
    Betpoints: 182

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Somebody needs to look at what the Islanders did in the late 70's and early 80's before calling 3 out of 6 a dynasty.

    1983 -- New York Islanders
    1982 -- New York Islanders
    1981 -- New York Islanders
    1980 -- New York Islanders
    1979 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1978 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1977 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1976 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1975 -- Philadelphia Flyers
    1974 -- Philadelphia Flyers
    1973 -- Montreal Canadiens
    Okay, old man.

  22. #22
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 28,039
    Betpoints: 9119

    ^
    This not really old man can still kick your ass 8 ways to Sunday, now get your shine box jabroni.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/18/2019


  23. #23
    OTL
    OTL's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-08-10
    Posts: 2,404
    Betpoints: 540

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Somebody needs to look at what the Islanders did in the late 70's and early 80's before calling 3 out of 6 a dynasty.

    1983 -- New York Islanders
    1982 -- New York Islanders
    1981 -- New York Islanders
    1980 -- New York Islanders
    1979 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1978 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1977 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1976 -- Montreal Canadiens
    1975 -- Philadelphia Flyers
    1974 -- Philadelphia Flyers
    1973 -- Montreal Canadiens

    Those teams did it prior to the salary cap era, so there is no comparison to be made. Winning it 3 times in 6 years in the salary cap era and making the Western Conference Final 5 times out of 7 is an incredible feat, and qualifies this team as a dynasty. /Thread

  24. #24
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 28,039
    Betpoints: 9119

    Yeah, whatever.
    Close thread, see what I care.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/18/2019


  25. #25
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 74,336
    Betpoints: 1691

    Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
    Those teams did it prior to the salary cap era, so there is no comparison to be made. Winning it 3 times in 6 years in the salary cap era and making the Western Conference Final 5 times out of 7 is an incredible feat, and qualifies this team as a dynasty. /Thread
    Yup chicago is a dynasty. Nhl version of the spurs. They don't even compare with those isles teams. Mike Bossy was the greatest pure goalscorer the nhl ever saw. He scored 50 or more goals in over 10 straight seasons. Trottier was nails. Potvin was the best defender the league ever saw. Hawks have done great with the cap for sure.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/13/2019

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$


  26. #26
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 28,039
    Betpoints: 9119

    ^
    And Billy Smith would make you think twice before entering the crease.
    Those Islander teams were the first team that got me hooked on hockey when I was a kid.
    Points Awarded:

    lakerboy gave stevenash 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/18/2019


  27. #27
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 16,836
    Betpoints: 54

    They won't win next year. Simple.

  28. #28
    packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-22-13
    Posts: 15,633
    Betpoints: 12131

    Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    When you suck so bad for so long it eventually turns around. This franchise was the laughing stock of the league for years. They assembled a bunch of high draft picks and whattya know, they got really good.
    The owner sold all of the key players ofcourse they werent going to be a top team

  29. #29
    BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-31-08
    Posts: 3,041
    Betpoints: 373

    I'd say LA Kings teams.

  30. #30
    hossa8110
    hossa8110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-20-12
    Posts: 233
    Betpoints: 192

    Hawks no doubt are most clutch look at record for games 5,6, and 7 of playoffs since Kane and Toews have arrived!!

  31. #31
    packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-22-13
    Posts: 15,633
    Betpoints: 12131

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Hawks probably should have won last year as well. For so many years the hawks were a joke. So glad to see an original six franchise do this.

    I think the islanders of the early 80's were more clutch.
    But lets be honest during that time period when the Hawks were getting sold off only the Avalanche and Redwings were true contenders

  32. #32
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 74,336
    Betpoints: 1691

    Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    But lets be honest during that time period when the Hawks were getting sold off only the Avalanche and Redwings were true contenders
    Yes mostly except dallas for 2 years. Chicago had a good team in the mid 90's but not enough scoring. JR and Eddie
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/13/2019

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$


  33. #33
    packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-22-13
    Posts: 15,633
    Betpoints: 12131

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Yes mostly except dallas for 2 years. Chicago had a good team in the mid 90's but not enough scoring. JR and Eddie
    True,the mid to late 90s was when Bill Wirtz started tearing the team apart,sold off every player worth a damn until they were left with nothing.

  34. #34
    rickie65
    rickie65's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-27-07
    Posts: 1,239
    Betpoints: 1330

    sad to say but the best thing to happen to the Hawks was when "Dollar Bill" Wirtz passed away and Rocky took control. Became a fan friendly organization, started spending smart money on rebuilding, and showed appreciation for the players of their history. The great Bobby Hull was not even welcomed there when Bill was in control. Back when I lived in Chicago you couldn't even watch a home game on TV.

  35. #35
    chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-16-07
    Posts: 4,571
    Betpoints: 18

    indeed Rickie ... sad memories of how tough it was at times to be a hawks fan in my youth

12 Last
Top