TommyDog
    TommyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 289

Bo Pelini, head coach. Youngstown State University Penguins

Jim Tressel, School President
    Bo Pelini, head football coach.
    Wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten on that combo two years ago.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Strange

Good combo though

TommyDog

Pelini comes back home, rebuilds YSU and makes it a national power in the best I-AA conference in the country, rebuilds his reputation and personality.........and eventually takes over The Ohio State University Buckeyes program.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24938

That's pee-wee football, yes?

Good for Bo. He deserves a second chance... just not at any level that matters.

TommyDog

He will be back at a major university in three years.
    Wacky guy, but a great coach. Nebraska fans are going to find out that winning nine games per year isn't so bad. Cornhuskers program is not the program it used to be, and it's not going to be anything more than a nine-win program in the future.
    Nebraska fans believing that the Huskers are going to be a perennial title contender are delusional.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Nebraska will win the Big Ten next year with the new coach.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24938

What people don't seem to understand is that Pelini wasn't let go because the Huskers weren't perennial title contenders... that's just ignorant spin. He was let go because they couldn't even compete for a conference title, and we're talking about the watered down B1G here, not exactly some murderers row of opponents.

And to add insult to injury, Pelini and the Huskers were routinely undressed when the stakes were high and a competent opponent took the field. Case in point... the same Wisconsin team that lost to Northwestern, escaped Iowa, and was bitch-slapped by the Buckeyes... reamed Pelini's defense to the tune of, I dunno, a million yards rushing? Pelini might as well have been Melvin Gordon's agent that day because he possibly put a couple extra million in his pocket on that performance alone. And there are plenty more examples where that came from, definitely not some one game aberration.

Pelini cannot run a program, cannot recruit, and doesn't know how to handle the media. Maybe he can thrive as an assistant, but he's too much of a hothead douchebag to be "the man." His in-game adjustments are absent in spades. His players appear lost at times, and his only reaction is to tear them a new one on the sidelines, while the cameras capture his meltdown for posterity.

The "nine-wins" defense is a joke, a cop-out really. Show me a coach who couldn't have won nine games this year, with this team and that pathetic schedule, and I'll show you someone who's a couple links back on the evolutionary chart. Pelini won "layup" games... big fvcking deal. The next guy will win nine too. The difference is, can he flirt with 10, and occasionally, 11? At the very least, be competitive in the games you lose... there's no reason for your football program to get obliterated back into the stone age by a team who's talent level is on par with yours.

Pelini's record against ranked teams is abysmal. Stop trumpeting this nine-win nonsense. Wins that matter ultimately define a coaches career, not wins against cupcakes.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i think hes from youngstown, only reason he would take this job

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Why isn't Tressel coaching anymore?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Why isn't Tressel coaching anymore?
    Probably the dreaded NCAA show cause rule.