InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

30 for 30 Requiem for the Big East

Best single era in college sports history

This was my favorite 30 for 30 ever

Boeheim pitino Thompson Louie Rollie Calhoun obrien pj

Unrale
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1, and str

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Gets no better than Mullin and Ewing with their tshirts under their jerseys.

Good memories.
    Points Awarded:

InTheDrink gave opie1988 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

When Texas says it's the shit and it's the northeast then you know it's the shit

Love the clips of these gueys fukkin brawling. No pussies allowed.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

I really enjoyed this one.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

When is it on again? I missed it.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Now on the deuce. 90 min left

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Pearl Washington

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

My all time favorite college team SJU roster in 1985 . Chris mullin and mark Jackson on team but college player of year and best player is Walter berry 7 of the 8 leading scorer shot over 50% from the field. Four shot over 55%. As # 1 seed Lost to another #1 seed Georgetown in final four

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...s-ny/1985.html

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

DVRed it, watching it now, bringing back some good memories, I loved the old Big East, so many personalities.

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

Thompson and boheim arguing is classic

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    My all time favorite college team SJU roster in 1985 . Chris mullin and mark Jackson on team but college player of year and best player is Walter berry 7 of the 8 leading scorer shot over 50% from the field. Four shot over 55%. As # 1 seed Lost to another #1 seed Georgetown in final four

Agreed on Walter berry

i remember hearing a story when he was on the spurs where he sat out of a practice and Alvin Robertson called him a pussy so he attacked Robertson with a knife after practice

of course Robertson turned out to be a complete scumbag so maybe he had it coming

James D

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Agreed on Walter berry

i remember hearing a story when he was on the spurs where he sat out of a practice and Alvin Robertson called him a pussy so he attacked Robertson with a knife after practice

of course Robertson turned out to be a complete scumbag so maybe he had it coming
    Berry was a head case . Sad cause he was best player on team and the team included 2 NBA lock hall of famers
    Even Shelton jones had skills but too much talent on team for him to develop

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Berry was a head case . Sad cause he was best player on team and the team included 2 NBA lock hall of famers
    Even Shelton jones had skills but too much talent on team for him to develop
    shelton was a youngster on that team and i know he had his time as the leader of the team....amityville horror

willie glass was more of a role guey/third scoring option and i think he could have been a very good player on a lesser team

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

This was the baddest dude of the entire Big East back in the day....

Michael Graham took shit from no one.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-19-15 at 08:57 AM. Reason: image does not exist

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Michael Graham. My recollection was he was a rent a thug, brought in to protect Patrick from getting into any nonsense.
    I also think he was about 25 years old when he enrolled and finished with a Blutarsky GPA.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    This was the baddest dude of the entire Big East back in the day....

Michael Graham took shit from no one.
    underrated guey after that ewing era on gtown was perry mcdonald

he was a golden gloves boxer and was a guard who played in the post

heard some stories that NOBODY fukked with him
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-19-15 at 09:00 AM. Reason: image does not exist

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by DOM-Ganador View Post
    Michael Graham. My recollection was he was a rent a thug, brought in to protect Patrick from getting into any nonsense.
    I also think he was about 25 years old when he enrolled and finished with a Blutarsky GPA.
    i heard from a semi reliable source that you could count on both hands the number of times pearl went to class

and quite honestly i dont have a problem with that...the whole special demonstrated how much of an impact some of these gueys made at these schools and how much money they made for everyone....you better believe they were getting paid too

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

i was born in 1980...and grew up on big east hoops as a lifelong pc fan....always enjoyed going to see the friars against uconn in the early/mid 90s....also went to the ncaa tourney in providence in i think it was 88-89....saw a doubleheader of georgetown/nd and nc state vs iowa-which if i remember was like a triple ot game(lot of nba'ers....zo, dikembe, laphonso ellis, bj armstrong....guys like corchiani and monroe...charles smith)....georgetown was coming off a scare vs princeton i think which they won buy a point against the 16 seed where it was dikemebe or zo that blocked a last second shot attempt

but one of my fave stories about john thompson....rayful edmond was a dc drug kingpin....pretty much the most feared man in the city....used to bring his entourage and sit courtside to alot of home games....he befriended 'zo and a couple of other players.....thompson invited him to his office....and apparently was pretty cordial....before he left i guess thompson told him if he didnt stay away from his guys there would be problems....and apparently edmond didnt cause any problems....i think some people were stunned thompson didnt face any reprecussions from it.....thats how much respect and clout he carried

drunkenbeaver
    drunkenbeaver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

The big east was great back then... 20 or 30 years ago. But for the past 10-15 years it's been the most over-hyped conference next to the big 10. I'm glad it's toast. I couldn't stand the espn big-east bias while there was better basketball (or as good) being played in other conferences.

James D

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbeaver View Post
    The big east was great back then... 20 or 30 years ago. But for the past 10-15 years it's been the most over-hyped conference next to the big 10. I'm glad it's toast. I couldn't stand the espn big-east bias while there was better basketball (or as good) being played in other conferences.
    How can you say that last 10-15 years big east was down? Won 2 of last 3 titles and have most in last 11 years with four. Even more telling is the big east made four championship games in these 11 years and won all four. Big east was far from down. It was always top 2 and although many teams lost in early rounds, many others went deep or won it all.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

wish I was born 10 years earlier to have been able to remember any of the early days. fck michael graham. wtf, he won 1 million on powerball in 2013, unreal.
    Last edited by Cuse0323; 03-17-14 at 04:16 PM.

StatePenn
    StatePenn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 358

Some of the greatest days ever, but the Big East was doomed after Penn State was denied entry. Big East basketball / football from the late 80s and into the 90s could have looked like this if Joe Pa got his way - would have been great for football and basketball Mega Conference:

Penn State - football
    Pitt - football
    Villanova
    Syracuse - football
    St John's
    Seton Hall
    Boston College - football
    UConn
    Providence
    Georgetown
    Temple - football
    West Virginia - football
    East Carolina - football
    Virginia Tech - football
    Miami - football
    Rutgers - football
    Florida State - football
    Louisville - football

Greed and a lack of future vision killed the Big East.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

crazy that penn state came down to one vote, whole landscape of college sports would be different right now

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

"Greed and a lack of future vision killed the Big East."

no, espn killed the big east. hyped up big east basketball, then when the big east wouldn't accept their terms on a new deal, espn (disney) got syracuse and pitt to leave and forced re-alignments all over the country.

Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo on the subject of the ACC's decision to poach Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the Big East: "We always keep our television partners close to us. ... TV -- ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do."

and espn will never tell that story...

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    "Greed and a lack of future vision killed the Big East."

no, espn killed the big east. hyped up big east basketball, then when the big east wouldn't accept their terms on a new deal, espn (disney) got syracuse and pitt to leave and forced re-alignments all over the country.

Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo on the subject of the ACC's decision to poach Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the Big East: "We always keep our television partners close to us. ... TV -- ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do."

and espn will never tell that story...
    I guess you didn't watch it last night?

Mike Gorman took shots at espn and several comments were pretty clear about the tv contracts. Boeheims comments about football ruling the decision was pretty clear about what that was.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

I guess you didn't watch it last night?

Mike Gorman took shots at espn and several comments were pretty clear about the tv contracts. Boeheims comments about football ruling the decision was pretty clear about what that was.
    wow good to hear

my apologies, i haven't seen it yet, didn't expect espn to broadcast anything that wasn't 100% biased

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Quote Originally Posted by StatePenn View Post
    Some of the greatest days ever, but the Big East was doomed after Penn State was denied entry. Big East basketball / football from the late 80s and into the 90s could have looked like this if Joe Pa got his way - would have been great for football and basketball Mega Conference:

Penn State - football
    Pitt - football
    Villanova
    Syracuse - football
    St John's
    Seton Hall
    Boston College - football
    UConn
    Providence
    Georgetown
    Temple - football
    West Virginia - football
    East Carolina - football
    Virginia Tech - football
    Miami - football
    Rutgers - football
    Florida State - football
    Louisville - football

Greed and a lack of future vision killed the Big East.
    Gimme a friggin' break. The Nittany Lions were pathetic in hoops at that time. There's no way they could compete with G'town, Syracuse, Nova, etc. Besides it was football that did in the Big East. Oh yeah, and fck Jo Pa and those gutless pukes he called assistant coaches!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: InTheDrink

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    wow good to hear

my apologies, i haven't seen it yet, didn't expect espn to broadcast anything that wasn't 100% biased
    yeah i couldnt imagine you posting somethign completely out of your ass

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

ron rowan from that team lives in the same town as me, his kid verbaled to pitt for 2016 already.

James D

shelton was a youngster on that team and i know he had his time as the leader of the team....amityville horror

willie glass was more of a role guey/third scoring option and i think he could have been a very good player on a lesser team
    Willie Glass, absolutely was better then Shelton I totally forgot him. Ty very much bud.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post

ron rowan from that team lives in the same town as me, his kid verbaled to pitt for 2016 already.
    Rowan shooting from the outside corner was a big problem for defenses , I will be rooting for his kid for sure.

cbiscuit
    cbiscuit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1714

What a great thread here, great memories!
    BC was my team back in mid 80's but I also loved StJohns Prov, and Villa, hated the Cuse and Gtown. Graham was an absolute thug as DOM already stated and should have been ejected from at least 5 or 6 games that I saw, not sure about games I didnt see. That was also the time the scrutiny really started on John Thompson and they quickly became the most controversial team in the NCAA.
    I loved watching Walter Berry play... he made me laugh my ass off so often because he had the best F-U face ever when he would score a bucket, he would get back on defense and just scowl at the opponent's bench... great stuff. I forgot about Glass, he was great and often a one man gang. Didn't Bill Wenington show up a year or two after that group? Just thought about that as I'm typing this fwiw.
    Everyone likes to talk up the Gtown/Nova Final, but week to week the action in conference was just as good, it just wasn't for the Championship but the intensity was there - teams just did not like one another for the most part.
    BTW, I'm pissed off because I DVR'd, supposedly :Req for BigEast but damn thing is nowhere to be found. I started watching it last night but set it up to record, red light went on in box but cannot find fkng thing now!!!!!!!! Don't see it in guide so don't know when it is on next.

cbiscuit
    cbiscuit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1714

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    When is it on again? I missed it.
    Tomorrow moring on ESPNU, not sure all get that on cable.

Wed = 3/19 @ 8:00 am EST

James D

Had to bump this thread and my post. Went to get some chicken breast from the market and who do I see? Mark Jackson and his kids. I actually said something to him which I NEVER do to celebrities and shook his hand. Afterwards I was waiting for the lady at the deli counter, she was doing his order, and he said to me "what HS you go to?" And then we chatted for a few minutes till his food was ready. I have now said something to two celebrities ever and one was only because people were intensely harassing him at the table next to me at lunch and I said " Adam (sandler) how do you deal with that??? Sandler was real cool as well. The other was mark today, as the text above and the rest of my posts in this thread can confirm that team was special to me so I broke my rules. We talked about this very thread and because of a few posters here I remembered virtually the entire squad. He was like "those were the days " . I didn't realize he lived in my community he said they have a few days off so he was just with the family. Kids were real nice, wearing warriors shirts.

I still could not ask for a picture, that's just so lame around here . So I snuck one LOL which is probably more lame but the deli lady I see 5x a week won't lose all respect for me!! She even said he is a real great guy and has sweet kids.

romoney
    College Hoop Time
    romoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Grew up watching the BIG EAST as a kid..was born in 77 so when i was getting into sports this was the best thing around..I remember my childhood with all the people mentioned on REQUIEM on ESPN..what a great episode...reminds me why I love college hoops and sports in general..

shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22725

30 for 30 all are really well done. Great thread

12 Last