No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I have a question re: the simplicity of gambling

Why don't we all just stop with the capping, stop with the analyzing, stop with the research, stop with the line watching, stop with finding plays that have "value" and "RLM" and beating the closer and all of that other nonsense....

And just fade Brandon Lang?

It really, truly and succinctly is that easy. We all know it. So WTF are we doing betting other games? We're making this shit way too hard, fellas.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Because at the core people want to win. People want to be successful. 90% of the people just get confused and think they like money. But the ego doesn't know anything about money.

So tailing or fading may work for a while. But eventually people will want to try and "beat" each other and beat the books...find "angles"....identify new "thought processes".

So basically a slow/steady successful path that doesn't involve any ego or perceived original thought will fade.

Because people want to feel successful. They may think they want money but it's really irrelevant.

A bunch of sheep can't become shepherds so easily.
    Points Awarded:

BadLuckSanta gave tatddy 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChalkyDog, ebbearsfb1, Untied, and Louisvillekid1

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Heres the problem with doing that

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

If money was what we're all about, we wouldn't be betting sports at -110 or worse.

I love sports too much. I love trying to find angles too much. I enjoy keeping my own power ratings. I enjoy almost everything there is to do with capping.

Lang satisfies none of that.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

my ego won't let me pay for picks.

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

His plays are posted, but without units. Would it still be worthwhile to do if flat betting?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post
    Because at the core people want to win. People want to be successful. 90% of the people just get confused and think they like money. But the ego doesn't know anything about money.

So tailing or fading may work for a while. But eventually people will want to try and "beat" each other and beat the books...find "angles"....identify new "thought processes".

So basically a slow/steady successful path that doesn't involve any ego or perceived original thought will fade.

Because people want to feel successful. They may think they want money but it's really irrelevant.

A bunch of sheep can't become shepherds so easily.
    Yeah, true.

For me, I just can't stand to make only one bet per day. That's a boring life for a degenerate.

I just think it's funny the answer to all of our problems is slapping us in the face and we choose to take the complicated route anyway. But you're right: it's not just about the money and the bottom line.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    If money was what we're all about, we wouldn't be betting sports at -110 or worse.

I love sports too much. I love trying to find angles too much. I enjoy keeping my own power ratings. I enjoy almost everything there is to do with capping.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm not really sure we're the rule vs. the exception.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

is he really that bad? Whats his record the last 200 picks and how much would I need to get his picks?

NolaDrewDats
    NolaDrewDats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    is he really that bad? Whats his record the last 200 picks and how much would I need to get his picks?
    Just search "fade Brandon Lang". There's a forum that has been tracking his plays for about 4 years now. Someone almost always posts them each day.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Worse.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

No he is not, at least not if you flat bet. He is 21-18 in ncaa hoops and was about .500 in the nfl this past regular season.

He was on Pitt tonight but he had Utah last night. Occasionally he will have a 4-5 game losing streak, but he is also likely to win 4-5 in row. He did have an amazingly bad bowl season (again), I think he has gone about 10-30 last 3 years on bowl games.
    Last edited by convick; 01-27-14 at 09:37 PM. Reason: fixed bowl record

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post

This is completely true but I've gone through phases where I've added his fades to my plays and let him subsidize the rest of my suck.

Also is there much worse than seeing that you're on the same play as Lang?

Or landers for that matter

Something about those initials

cruzing vato
    cruzing vato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

He doesn't post enough plays and he,s not bad enough, meaning 40%

ChiLLx
    ChiLLx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9184

Because winners want to feel like we "beat" and outsmarted the books. There's some kind of satisfaction in cashing in on a hardshelled opinion on an upcoming game.

Being a Lang fade robot provides none of that feeling of being "in control".

BadLuckSanta
    BadLuckSanta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19889

Tail me. You'll win money, unlike these guys winning units. What jackass started using units? What bank uses units?

Fading Lang has been proven to make money every season. Does go on a 4 game streak occasionally but with good money management there is no reason to profit there.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The problem with fading anyone including me is long-term the vig will get you and you will lose at -110

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

What enjoyment would you get out of blindly fading someone?

I mean yea it's funny to joke about fading the guy but come on dude.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    The problem with fading anyone including me is long-term the vig will get you and you will lose at -110
    Coach, your spreadsheet is bad enough that it would absorb the juice and then some.

Same goes for Langatang.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Service Plays

cruzing vato

It was pacers all season.. just that easy, now I dunno

PAULYPOKER

If you seriously want it to be about the $$$

you can not be a FAN

of said sport sports

simple as that
    Last edited by PAULYPOKER; 01-27-14 at 11:45 PM.

cruzing vato

Damn it says he's down 587 dimes in 2014! That sounds fadable

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    Lang 1/27

From around the block.

Brandon Lang

Pitt
    Lol........

Pounding it down
    Pounding it down's Avatar Become A Pro!

I personally think its the rush!! when u beak down a game and watch it unvail before your eyes makes u feel like ur a genius.. So you want more and work harder and when it dont pan out u feel like u woud rather take a ass beating than do that again.. at the very end its gambling what side of the pendulum do we want to be on..

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    If you seriously want it to be about the $$$

you can not be a FAN

of said sport sports

simple as that
    More bullshit from SBR's resident pathological liar/stiff

Chipup
    Chipup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

It's been broken down here pretty straight forward. Our lives are boring , we need mental stimulation so we work the numbers. Always trying as stated above to find a new angle and missed stat that could unravel the whole ship. For me the problem is even a 10-20k win streak isn't enough.

As I've stated I'm just a middle class smuck, 10-20k is a huge amount of money to me but then again it won't change my life. It won't let me wake up and never have to work again. So it's meaningless. I know you guys all feel the same way. The wins let us do little stupid things to interrupt the boredom like buy a new home theatre or a nice family trip.

If we wanted to be long term winners we'd bet against the Houston Astros or the Chicago Cubs all season long without chasing. Every MLB season I say the same thing. This season I'm straight betting against the Astros every single game. No other action. Never happens.

Hot Jerry
    Hot Jerry's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4638

Quote Originally Posted by ghenghis kahn View Post
    my ego won't let me pay for picks.
    never paid for picks and never wll !!

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    JJ you don't even know what that means pal.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Chipup View Post
    It's been broken down here pretty straight forward. Our lives are boring , we need mental stimulation so we work the numbers. Always trying as stated above to find a new angle and missed stat that could unravel the whole ship. For me the problem is even a 10-20k win streak isn't enough.

As I've stated I'm just a middle class smuck, 10-20k is a huge amount of money to me but then again it won't change my life. It won't let me wake up and never have to work again. So it's meaningless. I know you guys all feel the same way. The wins let us do little stupid things to interrupt the boredom like buy a new home theatre or a nice family trip.

If we wanted to be long term winners we'd bet against the Houston Astros or the Chicago Cubs all season long without chasing. Every MLB season I say the same thing. This season I'm straight betting against the Astros every single game. No other action. Never happens.
    if your going to fade the Astros and Cubs which i certainly agree with fade them by taking -1 so you don't have to lay so much juice.

And be careful fading Samardizija for the Cubbies..

other than the Cubs and Astros i dont really see any teams that are easy fades...

Hell even the Padres and Mets got better in the off season.