OyJ
    OyJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Betting Business Model Idea - Viable?

Hi Guys. I would like your input about this business model, any comments (negative or positive) would be greatly appreciated.

Before I get flamed, some background. I'm an engineer, with an MBA in a top business school (not bragging about that), deep understanding of finance and math, 15 years of business and entrepreneurial experience, 5 as a professional investor in poker (I don't consider myself a gambler) as a player and as the owner of a successful poker business (we invest professionally money in poker games through our trained players).

So, I was thinking about a sports betting business with the following model:

- Starting with soccer, and focused on lower and unknown leagues -2nd division Somalia, to say something-. Starting with bets on 15 different leagues (of course available either on bookies or exchanges)
    - Based on "quantity" (volume), around 300-500 bets per month mainly on O/U and 1x2.
    - We have detailed historical and statistical info of those unknown leagues for the last 5 years, and people updating/capturing latest results and new leagues every month.
    - We have a team of analysts doing modelling (using all the knowledge about soccer created from the last 30 years by scientists - not our own models) and checking weather
    - We have some IT skills, so reporting, betting and modelling are pretty automated
    - We will NOT use news, injuries or info that cannot be translated in a math model for our decisions.
    - Bets will be made using EV as the measure and we will take -EV bets (maximum -2% or -3%), based in our belief (and extensive scientific research available) that even closing odds are not the greatest predictor (they are good, not great) of real odds.
    - We well be using 1% Bankroll for O/U and 0.5% for 1x2 (is not Kelly optimal but so far our measure of edge is pretty uncertain).
    - We believe can reach 62% hit rate on O/U, and 60% on 1x2
    - Our bankroll will start in the USD thousands

Comments? Complaints? In your opinion what would be the biggest issue for this model to work? Is it viable? Can we reach 5% ROI? How long before going broke ?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Well if you live in usa forget it

horrible soccer lines

OyJ

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Well if you live in usa forget it

horrible soccer lines
    I don't, actually I live in a country where betting is pretty unknown, but location of the business is easy to move to any country.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

It is viable....read about a guy who bet division 2 and lower soccer and used Kelly betting and made over 2 million dollars with a lot his bets in Scotland division 2.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    It is viable....read about a guy who bet division 2 and lower soccer and used Kelly betting and made over 2 million dollars with a lot his bets in Scotland division 2.
    Hi Lou

OyJ

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    Thanks, will search for that to try to learn from him.

Vitothecapper
    Vitothecapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 682

Quote Originally Posted by OyJ View Post
    I don't, actually I live in a country where betting is pretty unknown, but location of the business is easy to move to any country.
    Not any counrty pal!