homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11114

i stopped betting CBB and NBA years ago because:

too easy for the oddsmakers to make razor sharp lines and the wise guys to smash them into shape leaving scraps for the recreational guys.

basketball is probably the least difficult (because nothing is easy) team sport for the oddsmakers and sharps to set the right line on.

why?

alternating possessions where each basket is worth 1, 2, or 3 points. each team gets what 50 possessions in CBB and 75 each in NBA? sample size for each game in terms of scoring, is too big.
    this helps the margin of error become very small for the linesmaker. slow death for a team trying to put another team away by 2 to 3 pts at a time, not like in football when you can jump up 21-0 on a team. in hoops 3 great possessions in a row means a 6-9 pt lead, not 21 pt lead.

in football the better team on both sides of the ball and special teams can go on long drives and shut down their opponents when on D. they can give up literally nothing or maybe 3 to 10 pts while scoring 35 on their own. a good team in hoops wins by 7, a good team in football wins by 14, 17, 24, etc.

in hoops, you score and then give the ball back and and good luck stopping a team from throwing a round object into a hoop from various distances and moving only 94 feet while on a dribble.

basketball is nuts to wager on. fukking nuts.

good luck all
    Last edited by homie1975; 01-07-14 at 10:11 PM.

LoveDaRush
    LoveDaRush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

No one cares, guy

homie1975

JJ Gold asked in the "Mich State -5.5" thread:

"Nothing is easy why do these games always go to the number ?"

this encouraged me to post my reasons why i do not wager on hoops

trust me it's solid reasoning

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Agree. Basketball most profitable sport for Vegas.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Basketball has gaped me hard all year. Not my sport.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

The odd makers for basketball are almost psychic.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hoops does many bettors in

I have said it numerous times

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

good post

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Funny because historically CBB and NBA have been my top sports without question. I think this year was my first winning NFL season since I began this crap.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

Good post---I bet 365 days a year---no way to avoid baskets.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Quote Originally Posted by unluckysob View Post
    Good post---I bet 365 days a year---no way to avoid baskets.

post of the year 1 week in

homie1975

CBB and NBA will make most bettors poorer the next 5 mos

thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7111

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    CBB and NBA will make most bettors poorer the next 5 mos
    What you talkin about? Plenty of posters making lots of money

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

sharp post

Very very tough to beat college bball or nba.
    Follow line moves and you'll probably do better than you would trying to handicap yourself.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

solid post, basketball is the most difficult to be profitable on, IMO. the whole game doesn't matter, comes to the end the majority of the time and that's all luck for bettors. FT's, backdoor covers when the team is up and doesn't have to worry anymore and shots that don't mean a thing as the clock expires.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    too easy for the oddsmakers to make razor sharp lines and the wise guys to smash them into shape leaving scraps for the recreational guys.

basketball is probably the least difficult (because nothing is easy) team sport for the oddsmakers and sharps to set the right line on.

why?

alternating possessions where each basket is worth 1, 2, or 3 points. each team gets what 50 possessions in CBB and 75 each in NBA? sample size for each game in terms of scoring, is too big.
    this helps the margin of error become very small for the linesmaker. slow death for a team trying to put another team away by 2 to 3 pts at a time, not like in football when you can jump up 21-0 on a team. in hoops 3 great possessions in a row means a 6-9 pt lead, not 21 pt lead.

in football the better team on both sides of the ball and special teams can go on long drives and shut down their opponents when on D. they can give up literally nothing or maybe 3 to 10 pts while scoring 35 on their own. a good team in hoops wins by 7, a good team in football wins by 14, 17, 24, etc.

in hoops, you score and then give the ball back and and good luck stopping a team from throwing a round object into a hoop from various distances and moving only 94 feet while on a dribble.

basketball is nuts to wager on. fukking nuts.

good luck all

This is why you should try and bet dogs more in the NBA with the exception of a few really strong teams at home every year.

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Basketball by far is the easiest tobeat. Both college and pros. If you ever come across a professsional, they'll tell you the same. Hoops and bases(not for me though) easiest sports.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ghenghis Kahn

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

with overnight lines and people scared to death to hit games(day of) hard before ras release, you have no reason to not be betting cbb if you have a clue... very little line movement with overnight lines and the limits are more than enough for rec players... goodluck
    Points Awarded:

downsouth gave raydog 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

WhatALoser
    WhatALoser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I'm still learning but the one thing I do know in regards to the nba, there's nothing easy about it. Nobody feels comfortable gambling on a bunch of guys who might or might not show up/give their best effort for the night.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Each team in college hoops doesn't get around 50 possessions each. In fact, KenPom tracks this.

BYU averages the most possessions per game against an average tempo team (which KenPom's ratings)

BYU averages 77 possessions per game (#1 in the nation) and they've only reached 90 total possessions in a game once this season (against another team quick team that ranks 54th in the nation)

There are 351 D1 hoops programs in the country. Ranked at #175 is South Florida, which averages 67.8 possessions per game.

So really...teams are looking at 35 or so possessions each

For the record, Miami FL ranks dead last (#351) and only averages 60 possessions per game.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Basketball is the easiest major sport to win on.

Koldazzice
    Koldazzice's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4257

NBA you MUST handicap motivation. Its very important to know which team will/should show up. Purely capping x's and o's will leave you broke.
    When receiving my don best schedules I look for important games before the season starts and circle those games and make a comment of why its circled. Then each night I go over the results and find games that would lead to future motivation.

I started doing this last year after a few very poor NBA seasons and its worked like a charm.

To bad I'm an action junky and give some back on daily action plays lol.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by Koldazzice View Post
    NBA you MUST handicap motivation.
    Capping is not necessary.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

A little secret with the NBA......when you "handicapping" and pick a side that you feel will win.....FADE IT!
    Last edited by Darkside Magick; 01-10-14 at 06:22 AM.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

motivation...my god... so how much do you think motivation is worth?

one of the tout morons who did football vids for sbr talks of motivation...its really one of the more useless things when it comes to picking sides...if you are worried about motivation as a factor, you should be betting moneylines, because there is no way to model it into a line

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Most pro players motivated all the time, huge misconception that they do not try. Loses usually come from off nights shooting or the other team playing great.

bwinapati
    bwinapati's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 564

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    Basketball is the easiest major sport to win on.
    can please tell me which top10 betting sites offer live for basketball more choice pls

i have find it only bet365.com . have choice of under/over on every team in every quarter and too much choice.

can u please tell me in which another bet sites can find this choice pls.
    thanks