mintpicks79
    mintpicks79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 326

Woody Hayes punched a player...

Imagine if this happened tonight, Urban myer slugging a player. I think the Internet would explode.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Not if Keith Jackson was doing the game. He'd ignore it and hope nobody noticed. That's what happened 35 years ago. He and Ara Parseghian both saw Hayes slug the player and ignored it. The story was they couldn't see the replays back then, but if you watch the game broadcast, they detailed the pickoff in slow motion and when Hayes decked the player they went silent. Problem was, nobody had game replays back then, so it was covered up and Jackson got a free pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by mintpicks79 View Post
    Imagine if this happened tonight, Urban myer slugging a player. I think the Internet would explode.

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Not if Keith Jackson was doing the game. He'd ignore it and hope nobody noticed. That's what happened 35 years ago. He and Ara Parseghian both saw Hayes slug the player and ignored it. The story was they couldn't see the replays back then, but if you watch the game broadcast, they detailed the pickoff in slow motion and when Hayes decked the player they went silent. Problem was, nobody had game replays back then, so it was covered up and Jackson got a free pass.
    You must not have been around when it happened. Replays were available and they were played non-stop. It was covered by all three networks (NBC, CBS and ABC were the only national commerical networks at that time).

Jackson didn't get a free pass.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

More kids need it to be brought back down to reality. No father in their lives to do it to them.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

I would laugh uncontrollably for days if that happened in today's game. I wouldn't even feel bad either.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

That guy was loved that Ohio State regardless of that incident

I believing coaches being allowed to hit players I think they would get better motivation out of them

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

The clip on the bowl game telecast tonight showed Woody Hayes walking off the field after the game. Wow he knows he is finished, dead man walking.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Replays were available, but ABC said Jackson couldn't see the replays during the live broadcast. That's why he didn't say anything about the punch. I said that was false, the game replay showed he could see the replay live because he described the replay as it happened right up until the punch. And Jackson did basically get a pass. I meant, with no Internet, nobody could see the replay of the live broadcast until years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Night-Tripper View Post
    You must not have been around when it happened. Replays were available and they were played non-stop. It was covered by all three networks (NBC, CBS and ABC were the only national commerical networks at that time).

Jackson didn't get a free pass.

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Replays were available, but ABC said Jackson couldn't see the replays during the live broadcast. That's why he didn't say anything about the punch. I said that was false, the game replay showed he could see the replay live because he described the replay as it happened right up until the punch. And Jackson did basically get a pass. I meant, with no Internet, nobody could see the replay of the live broadcast until years later.
    I gotcha. I saw the same story you did this evening on ESPN before the game started. I called bullshit the moment they said that shit, because I was watching the game when it took place. They replayed it numerous times before the game was over. Now, the fact that neither Jackson and Parseghian made mention of it was apropos for that time. Back then, the game was the story and any inappropriate behavior wasn't considered to be relevant to the sporting event. These guys were hired to broasdcast the games, not report news. (That was left to sports reporters, not broadcasters.) Whether or not there was an internet is irrelevant. If you had a television set, electricity and an antenna, you could watch the replay.

I'm not inferring that you are wrong, because you're going by what they said in the clip. I'm stating that the ESPN producers were wrong in regards to the statement about Jackson, Parseghian and their lack of comment. In essence, sports broadcasts existed in a world of self-censorship until the recent past. In my opinion, that story is an example of revisionist history/broadcasting. You can not/should not apply today's standards to those of the past.

Fieldysnuts44
    @poker table near you
    Fieldysnuts44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    That guy was loved that Ohio State regardless of that incident

I believing coaches being allowed to hit players I think they would get better motivation out of them
    He is still loved by Ohio State fans.He was from my home town,also the home town of Cy Young,Newcomerstown Ohio.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Kids today are punks
    No discipline
    Some strong coaches out there but many are pussies

We need more Woody Hayes

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

I was at that game, and most people in the stadium had no idea what happened. One thing most people don't know is that the Clemson player (Charlie Bauman) who intercepted the pass and got punched by Hayes was from Ohio. Quite a coincidence, as he was the probably the only player from Ohio on Clemson's roster. As a Clemson fan, I'd rather think of the game as Danny Ford's first than Hayes's last. He didn't hurt Bauman, who later said he didn't even know Hayes had punched him. So Hayes deserved a penalty and an ejection, but it really shouldn't tarnish his legacy too much.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Woody got caught-up in the game... Emotions run amok

JoePa banging teen boys is waaaayyy worse

jscene
    jscene's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1460

You can't see it on the replay.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Jackson just saw Woody punch an opposing player on the field in the throat, you think he wants to say anything bad about Hayes.

paulsonj72
    paulsonj72's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not quite true. Jackson and Parseghian missed the punch and due to a decision by Bob Goodrich of ABC sports to not have what is called a net return avaliable to the stadium(sending the live feed back to the game site) They could not replay this. This saved ABC about $5 000 dollars but gave them grief. The stations that showed the punch were taking the feed off of the on air broadcast. Even after all of these years Jackson is still mad about the incident. And for what it is worth Jackson and Hayes DID NOT get along. He had no reason to protect him.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11660

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    JoePa banging teen boys is waaaayyy worse
    Did JoePa bang you? You seem to know something no one else does.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

Quote Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
    Not quite true. Jackson and Parseghian missed the punch and due to a decision by Bob Goodrich of ABC sports to not have what is called a net return avaliable to the stadium(sending the live feed back to the game site) They could not replay this. This saved ABC about $5 000 dollars but gave them grief. The stations that showed the punch were taking the feed off of the on air broadcast. Even after all of these years Jackson is still mad about the incident. And for what it is worth Jackson and Hayes DID NOT get along. He had no reason to protect him.
    That was always my understanding as well, that is, that Jackson and Hayes DID NOT get along. I too watched the game live.

"You betterbelieveit"

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

What was his reasoning after the game? I've seen the footage, but never really heard his explanation. Just snapped and lost his mind?