EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have. They only want to pay me in pesos. Holding out for Euros.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Texas is now a 2nd rate team, both in the Big 12 and Nationally. Even though they beat OU this season, they are still far behind them in recruits and players comin back next season. Baylor is also ahead of them, but Baylor does not know the meaning of the word defense and has gone as far as they can. Okie State loses a ton of players. TCU and West Virginia will be on the same level as Texas next season. The Texas job is not nearly as glamorous as some in here believe. Their non-con schedule is no help either. They play UCLA next season in Arlington, get a home and home with Notre Dame in 2015-16 and 2019-20. Sandwiched in between those dates is a home and home against USC in 2017-18. Who wants that schedule?

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    Vegas...I think the way they showed Mack the door was kind of scumbagish for a lot of the coaching community and some might rather not step into a situation where the situation kind of blows. Texas has a high opinion of itself, and the cupboard isn't exactly full
    That's true. I guess I still hold UT in high regards (not really for any particular reason, I guess. I have no affiliation with Texas) and maybe it's not the job it once was. I do have an understand that Texas is VERY proud of their program and maybe they need to step off their high horse here?

Should be interesting. I'd like to see someone small get the job, instead of a top name coach. I like that guy from Duke

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Looking like Charlie Strong unless Fisher takes the job after the NCG.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    Looking like Charlie Strong unless Fisher takes the job after the NCG.
    I agree...their deep pockets alone should keep them there. They (AD etc.) believe, and their boosters/fans believe that a big name coach is a given at a drop of a hat. Maybe 10 years ago Texas commanded that kind of respect, but today the Texas brand has lost a little of its shine. When coaches like Saban, Fischer, etc. aren't even considering a move says one thing, when coaches like Mora, Briles, etc. aren't interested in interviewing either that says the job is at a whole different tier that most didn't expect. So now Texas has shifted to Plan C which tells you what type job Texas truly ranks...not that it's a bad one...just that where it now stands

TPowell

I agree...their deep pockets alone should keep them there. They (AD etc.) believe, and their boosters/fans believe that a big name coach is a given at a drop of a hat. Maybe 10 years ago Texas commanded that kind of respect, but today the Texas brand has lost a little of its shine. When coaches like Saban, Fischer, etc. aren't even considering a move says one thing, when coaches like Mora, Briles, etc. aren't interested in interviewing either that says the job is at a whole different tier that most didn't expect. So now Texas has shifted to Plan C which tells you what type job Texas truly ranks...not that it's a bad one...just that where it now stands

I kind of disagree, I think coaches have learned to not mess with happiness. The elite jobs just aren't that high above other elite jobs. The Texas job is better than the FSU job, but it isn't by enough to make somebody want to start over IMO

EaglesPhan36

I don't get why people term Brown getting canned a scumbag move. They were under .500 in the Big 12 over the last three years before the turnaround this season. Outside of the OU win this year, they were severely overmatched against the top tier teams they played and got beat up in both games.

What they have been doing the last three years is perfectly fine for mid-tier schools that only aspire to maybe be a BCS spoiler on occassion and otherwise work their 8-9 wins and cash from an okay bowl game. For a school with their history in football, that's unacceptable. In all honesty, Brown would have been gone at least a season ago if the AD wasn't one of his boys. Dodds was supremely loyal to Brown .. to a fault and that's why Dodds needed to go to. That and he was a f-ing fossil. He did great things for UT athletics, but he also let the hoops program and football program slide gradually the last 3-5 years to the point where they were very mediocre. He should have demanded more of those programs if UT is what they think they are .... and currently are not which is a football power.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

You're basing all of this off of pure speculation. The truth is...no one knows who Texas has actually contacted, and who they haven't.

Anyone who's naive enough to think that the University of Texas isn't a coveted job in the college ranks is either really stupid, or blinded by their jealousy.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    You're basing all of this off of pure speculation. The truth is...no one knows who Texas has actually contacted, and who they haven't.

Anyone who's naive enough to think that the University of Texas isn't a coveted job in the college ranks is either really stupid, or blinded by their jealousy.
    Yep that sums it up

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

That Steve Patterson guy was the absolute worst hire. Texas is going nowhere quick with a guy like that. He once try to trade Olajuwon to the Clippers for 3 scrubs. Guy loses wherever he goes.

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge187 View Post
    That Steve Patterson guy was the absolute worst hire. Texas is going nowhere quick with a guy like that. He once try to trade Olajuwon to the Clippers for 3 scrubs. Guy loses wherever he goes.
    That's a weird story about him...if it's true..about running the Trail Blazers into the ground. The Dallas Morning News ran a scathing article about the guy...but hard to believe Texas would hire someone with such a bad past to run it's operation?

EaglesPhan36

Some guy's schtick work better at the collegiate level. The Pattersons were always solid businessman in their sports roles in Houston. They might have a shit rep in Portland, but in Texas - they have the rep from bringing football back to Houston. Patterson is a UT-boy and that's what they wanted - someone with Texas ties that has a good business sense.

The interesting thing is obviously the hire - this is pretty much his legacy on his first move. Said it before too, he has a chance to change the entire face of the AD at Texas if he chooses. Already removed one old timer. Garrido in baseball and Barnes in basketball should watch their backs.

TPowell

Strong it is......

First 12