Filmoz
    Filmoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Riley Cooper video worse than Incognito voicemail

when you think about it. On its face, the Incognito voicemail sounds much worse. However, put in context, the Riley Cooper thing is worse.

With the Incognito voicemail, the circumstances are such that it leads to the inescapable conclusion that it was a joke, even if it was an inappropriate joke. While it certainly doesn't excuse the use of racial language, it changes the conclusion from him being an actual racist asshole to him just being a dumbass. There's already been stuff that came out that Martin treated it as a joke at first, that he was the one that passed it around to teammates, etc. For all we know, he could have jokingly referred to himself as a "half-n****" and it became a running gag amongst the guys. The Incognito thing strikes me almost like he was doing a parody of what an actual racist asshole would say.

With the Riley Cooper thing, he was speaking his mind, feeling comfortable in the company of all his white friends at a country music concert, and not realizing he was being filmed, so you were basically seeing his true character come out.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Both were silly
    Jokes

Blown out of proportion

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Yes Riley Cooper whole heartedly feels what he said. Was no joke. Incognito, although I do not agree with it, finding out more information, seems less bad, still not acceptable tho

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Agree

when em I played sports the N word was constantly present in the locker room along with the rest of the cursing database.

Hazing, pranking, busting balls all part of the brotherhood

eagles locker room was split on cooper

dolphins team backing Richie

sonnybaby
    sonnybaby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 942

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Yes Riley Cooper whole heartedly feels what he said. Was no joke. Incognito, although I do not agree with it, finding out more information, seems less bad, still not acceptable tho
    spot on ravensfan great thread filmoz

Filmoz
    Filmoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Yeah exactly. Tough to even bring it up because he used the dreaded n-word and so people jump down your throat that you are trying to "defend" him. Nobody is saying it is completely acceptable and excusable, just saying that the context is important to demonstrate a difference between someone who actually means what they say and someone who is just making a joke in really poor taste, especially where his thinking that the joke was acceptable was likely encouraged by the language he hears from his black teammates day in and day out.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Agreed here.
    Cooper was just a hillbilly thinking he was invincible with his friends around.
    He was 100% being himself in the video.

I was surprised most of the brothas on that team forgave him and supported him, although a few didn't.

Incognito gets kicked off the team for this garbage. Cooper was at practice the next day.
    Yes, Incognito is mentally challenged and lots of teams passed on him in the draft already knowing he was a head case, but his teammates obviously liked him and all want him back, therefore meaning Martin just felt unwanted probably and was looking for a way out.

Whole thing is ridiculous.
    Sports are magnified so hard now.
    I miss the old school days where they were MEN, Not bitches and divas.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Just a fukkin word...

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Agree

when em I played sports the N word was constantly present in the locker room along with the rest of the cursing database.

Hazing, pranking, busting balls all part of the brotherhood

eagles locker room was split on cooper

dolphins team backing Richie
    Exactly.

I hate when you see the average people who have no idea what it is like to be in a HS locker room, college locker room, NFL locker room, military training, college fraternity, police training, or hang out with a bunch of gambling drinking guys. Guys say shit. Guys talk trash to their friends.

but it's not about that, it's all about the N word.

The same people that are calling for Incognito or Cooper's head had no problem at all when Stephen A. Smith said that exact same word twice on national TV, not on a private voice message, he said it on TV and he keeps his cushy job even though he sucks.

C-Gold

Oh and saying I'll kill you isn't always literally a death threat. Something lost on cube dwelling office monkeys. "If he said that at my work..." You don't work in a machismo envirnoment, you work in an office with moms.

This was another case of the media spinning a story for ratings.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Media found a story they were looking for to spin an anti-bullying PSA and created a false narrative. Especially once they got the n-bomb on tape.

It's all bullshit.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

I agree in context Riley's is worse. But Riley wasn't taking to a teammate/coworker. Leave your coworker the same voicemail and see what happens to your job. (That's if you work for a Fortune 500 or 1000 company)

C-Gold

The whole "anti bullying" crap that has been in the media the last 3 or so years is really "anti gay" bullying.

One of the 49ers last year was in one of those public service videos last year and his teammates made fun of him because he had no idea it was really anti gay. The player, I believe it was Ahmad Brooks even said he didn't really support gays and then THAT comment made the news.

You even see this with NBA games, they had this "don't call somebody gay as an insult" campaign. If somebodies game is wack, don't call them Gay, that's not cool! They had all kinds of Duke players running those ads.

The PC police love this story. Big white bully calls a black guy the N word and is extra meannnnnnnnn.

Tada
    Tada's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3151

Agreed with Broadway. Incognito is lucky that Martin stepped back and controlled his anger. In this age, bullying leads to work place shooting...

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    I agree in context Riley's is worse. But Riley wasn't taking to a teammate/coworker. Leave your coworker the same voicemail and see what happens to your job. (That's if you work for a Fortune 500 or 1000 company)

This is the NFL not a fortune 500 company. Guys say the N word all the time in the locker room. Say that at work and you are fired. Guys on NFL teams fight in practice. Do that at your desk job and you are fired. This is not a normal "work".

The average guy in this line of work lasts 3 years and they make a lifetime full of money. Very different than your job I suppose.

C-Gold

Both of Martin's parents are lawyers.

Martin feels like he is going to lose his job, the team brought in a Vet and he's not working out. He is thinking of quitting. Instead he wants his 2 lawyer parents to sue the team like a true pussy.

Apparently he even joked about the message after it was sent in April, over 6 months ago. Apparently he got into a fight with Dion Jordan and his buddy, Richie Incognito came to his defense. The guy he went go carting with. But nooooo

That guy is a pussy.

pulledclear
    pulledclear's Avatar Become A Pro!

broadway6
    on to the next one

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    This is the NFL not a fortune 500 company. Guys say the N word all the time in the locker room. Say that at work and you are fired. Guys on NFL teams fight in practice. Do that at your desk job and you are fired. This is not a normal "work".

The average guy in this line of work lasts 3 years and they make a lifetime full of money. Very different than your job I suppose.
    Lol at this is the nfl not a Fortune 500 company. The nfl is a business. A 8-9billion (I believe) business a year. They are more like a fortune 100 company. The voicemail also threatened Martin's family, correct?

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    Lol at this is the nfl not a Fortune 500 company. The nfl is a business. A 8-9billion (I believe) business a year. They are more like a fortune 100 company. The voicemail also threatened Martin's family, correct?
    Oh my gawd you are a pussy

When the announcer at the game says that the Defensive end is "killing" the left tackle, do you call the cops to report a homicide?

Martin missed a work out, said he was working out alone. His friend said that he'd kill him, meaning kick his ass, but do you think that is literal?

What about when JJ Gold gets drunk and posts on here, sometimes threatening stuff, sick stuff, sexual stuff.

You really are clueless. You will believe anything your media tells you to believe.

broadway6
    on to the next one

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Oh my gawd you are a pussy

When the announcer at the game says that the Defensive end is "killing" the left tackle, do you call the cops to report a homicide?

Martin missed a work out, said he was working out alone. His friend said that he'd kill him, meaning kick his ass, but do you think that is literal?

What about when JJ Gold gets drunk and posts on here, sometimes threatening stuff, sick stuff, sexual stuff.

You really are clueless. You will believe anything your media tells you to believe.
    Ok sir.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Guy just can't stay incognito.