Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

An Awesome Succesful Gambling Story

<header id="yui_3_9_1_1_1382127038798_350" class="header"> Harry Wilson’s grandfather wins £125,000 on Wales debut bet made 15 years ago, promptly retires

</header>.<figure id="yui_3_9_1_1_1382127038798_320" class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="0"></figure>(Getty)

In the 87th minute of Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Belgium, 16-year-old Harry Wilson entered the match and became Wales' youngest ever senior player. As joyous an occasion as that was for the Liverpool midfielder's family, it was made even better for his grandfather, who won £125,000 (nearly $200,000) on an £50 bet ($80) he placed when Harry was just 18 months old that this day would come.
    [Photos: Teams that have qualified for 2014 World Cup]
    According to the BBC, Peter Edwards, Harry Wilson's grandfather, placed a bet with a bookmaker on his then infant grandson eventually playing international football for Wales. He was given odds of 2,500/1. When Wilson made his debut on Tuesday, beating Wales' previous youngest player, Gareth Bale, by a cool 108 days, the bet paid out and Edwards promptly retired a year earlier than planned.

From the BBC:
    "When he was about 18 months old he used to chase a ball around on the carpet before he could walk," Mr Edwards said.
    "I went into William Hill in Wrexham and asked them how I go about it. I had no idea how to do it and the manageress put me in touch with London."
    Electrical contractor Mr Edwards, of Corwen, Denbighshire, works away from home most of the year, spending one weekend a fortnight with wife Dorothy, 58.
    "She is over the moon. I retired immediately. I told my manager yesterday that if Harry plays I wouldn't be coming back," said Mr Edwards.
    Edwards went on to say that when Harry entered Liverpool's academy at 12 years old, he tried to place a second bet, but the bookmaker wouldn't let him, perhaps fearing that this would happen.
    As wonderful as all of this is for Harry Wilson and Peter Edwards, somewhere else in Wales there's a grandfather loudly cursing his own grandson for playing FIFA 14 all day and being a waste of £50.

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

I remember hearing about the grandfather's bet a year or two ago.

This really is awesome.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Awesome story Rocket

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Now he can go ahead and make a bet his grandson will never play in the world cup with wales. -1000000000.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

artyfudgepacker
    artyfudgepacker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6480

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

I dont know how you can handicap a bet like this. Pretty crazy though.

I would be scared they would not honor the ticket. Could easily make up some excuse that its too old, nobody remembers or the book maker is out of business.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Maybe publicity stunt

I look at every angle

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post

I would be scared they would not honor the ticket. Could easily make up some excuse that its too old, nobody remembers or the book maker is out of business.
    William Hill is not out of business and they are known for letting you make crazy ass bets like this

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Maybe publicity stunt

I look at every angle

Shift change here comes the goofy marathon posts

DoYouNotGetIT
    DoYouNotGetIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post

BINGO!!! Bookmaker takes the bet knowing odds are way higher than 2500/1 and if he is still in business he made a killing. If 2000 people make the same bet he not only makes more money he also gets the interest yearly for keeping the money so that takes the bet down to 1475/1 (just by taking away inflation over 14 years). Only way the gambler has an advantage at 1475/1 is if the grandson had a father who played professional soccer.

Think about it this way there are more people in the US, but this would be like betting on a random boy of 18 months old that he would be a Pro Bowl or All-Star of the MLB, NBA, or NFL
    Last edited by DoYouNotGetIT; 10-18-13 at 04:12 PM.