1. #1
    daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-14-08
    Posts: 27,098
    Betpoints: 1028

    Mexico is 1-0-5 in World Cup qualifying?

    Unreal, this is another reason why people hate soccer.

    Can you imagine if Ohio State/Michigan, Army/Navy, Georgia/Florida, or Auburn/Alabama tied for 5 straight years? It'd kind of take the air out of the rivalry.

    What if the Giants and Cowboys tied 5 times in a row? Great bragging rights there. Oh yeah, well we tied you guys 5 times in a row!

    How about MLB having ties? Some team would go 60-40-62.

    Soccer

  2. #2
    zooom
    zooom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-02-13
    Posts: 345
    Betpoints: 193

    theyre gonna own the US on tuesday

  3. #3
    Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-10-09
    Posts: 4,252
    Betpoints: 2886

    You want the best team to win...in any league, most American sports league fail at this...all because people want playoffs where everyone gets a chance. The goal is not to create some rivalry so people can make a whole episode out of it and beat it to death ala sportscenter style.

    If their was a way to determine a winner in a soccer match then it would of been done....but their is no way. Penalty shootouts come down to luck. The teams cannot play on forever as they will get tired/injured and the fact they most likely have another game in 3-4 days. You don't want the game to be decided on back up substitute players either.

  4. #4
    MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-01-09
    Posts: 13,263
    Betpoints: 252

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    You want the best team to win...in any league, most American sports league fail at this...all because people want playoffs where everyone gets a chance. The goal is not to create some rivalry so people can make a whole episode out of it and beat it to death ala sportscenter style.

    If their was a way to determine a winner in a soccer match then it would of been done....but their is no way. Penalty shootouts come down to luck. The teams cannot play on forever as they will get tired/injured and the fact they most likely have another game in 3-4 days. You don't want the game to be decided on back up substitute players either.
    Golden Goal.......Play till someone scores.....If teams are that worried about tiring out they will "play to win" instead of parking the bus on defense

    And playoffs are the most exciting thing in sports.....That's why even Americans love the World Cup

  5. #5
    pavyracer
    Julia Alex.
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 67,867
    Betpoints: 2052

    College football is so easy to play that's why each team only plays 12 games with 4 of those games vs teams where the spread is -45. So a college football player plays 8 full games and 4 half games each season whereas a soccer player 50 games or more per season. If you play a ton of games each season it's OK to have ties. You don't want the players to get injured.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/03/2020

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/30/2020


  6. #6
    MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-01-09
    Posts: 13,263
    Betpoints: 252

    Quote Originally Posted by zooom View Post
    theyre gonna own the US on tuesday
    No chance

  7. #7
    zooom
    zooom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-02-13
    Posts: 345
    Betpoints: 193

    mexicos game on ESPN, USA game on some shit network no one has.

    eat shit murrica

  8. #8
    Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-10-09
    Posts: 4,252
    Betpoints: 2886

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Golden Goal.......Play till someone scores.....If teams are that worried about tiring out they will "play to win" instead of parking the bus on defense

    And playoffs are the most exciting thing in sports.....That's why even Americans love the World Cup
    Teams that "park the bus" are not playing defensively because they're tired, it's because they cannot keep possession of the ball and are most likely a big underdog. Pretty stupid to risk injury to players so the game of a league or qualifying match can be decided.

  9. #9
    mv09
    mv09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-20-07
    Posts: 800
    Betpoints: 186

    Quote Originally Posted by zooom View Post
    theyre gonna own the US on tuesday

  10. #10
    MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-01-09
    Posts: 13,263
    Betpoints: 252

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    Teams that "park the bus" are not playing defensively because they're tired, it's because they cannot keep possession of the ball and are most likely a big underdog. Pretty stupid to risk injury to players so the game of a league or qualifying match can be decided.
    I get that, but there are teams out there that play too much negative football even when they're not huge underdogs

    How does it risk injury? I guess if game goes into sudden death you could add 2 extra subs or something....

    I don't mind ties, but golden goal/sudden death would be much more exciting....

  11. #11
    bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-13-12
    Posts: 5,180
    Betpoints: 37

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    Teams that "park the bus" are not playing defensively because they're tired, it's because they cannot keep possession of the ball and are most likely a big underdog. Pretty stupid to risk injury to players so the game of a league or qualifying match can be decided.
    Jose Mourinho's teams park the bus constantly.

  12. #12
    MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-01-09
    Posts: 13,263
    Betpoints: 252

    Quote Originally Posted by zooom View Post
    mexicos game on ESPN, USA game on some shit network no one has.

    eat shit murrica
    Mexico 1 win in 6 games

    Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    USA 6 4 1 1 7 3 13
    Costa Rica 6 3 2 1 7 3 11
    Mexico 6 1 5 0 3 2 8
    Honduras 6 2 1 3 6 7 7
    Panama 6 1 3 2 5 7 6
    Jamaica 6 0 2 4 2 8 2

  13. #13
    bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-13-12
    Posts: 5,180
    Betpoints: 37

    I know we're all thinking it: Either the Cartels paid off the team for this WC run and have been making a ton of money off of this run of play, OR the Cartels are going to go to "go to work on" members of this team pretty soon.

  14. #14
    vasilli07
    vasilli07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-08-11
    Posts: 3,960
    Betpoints: 10601

    USA v Mexico next week will be more exciting. Win or bust for Mexico.

  15. #15
    Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-10-09
    Posts: 4,252
    Betpoints: 2886

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    I get that, but there are teams out there that play too much negative football even when they're not huge underdogs

    How does it risk injury? I guess if game goes into sudden death you could add 2 extra subs or something....

    I don't mind ties, but golden goal/sudden death would be much more exciting....
    Well basically any muscle injuries like over training....like calf, groin, hamstring injuries.

    I would like sudden death too, but that would just mean less games being played, you could probably only play 1 game a week or have strong rotation in the squads which would mean lesser quality players playing. Plus it's not really needed in qualification/league games. If a team wants to advanced their gonna have to get wins. Out of the 25 European world cup qualifying games today only 5 were draws.

  16. #16
    teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-14-08
    Posts: 26,024

    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    College football is so easy to play that's why each team only plays 12 games with 4 of those games vs teams where the spread is -45. So a college football player plays 8 full games and 4 half games each season whereas a soccer player 50 games or more per season. If you play a ton of games each season it's OK to have ties. You don't want the players to get injured.
    pavy cant be this stupid can he??

  17. #17
    Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-10-09
    Posts: 4,252
    Betpoints: 2886

    Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    Jose Mourinho's teams park the bus constantly.
    Totally false, at Real Madrid they were more of a counter attacking team, but that is not considered parking the bus. Parking the bus would mean like 10 men behind the ball. Real Madrid scored like 3 goals a game in La Liga last year. Maybe your getting confused with the Chelsea team that won the CL...

  18. #18
    bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-13-12
    Posts: 5,180
    Betpoints: 37

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    Totally false, at Real Madrid they were more of a counter attacking team, but that is not considered parking the bus. Parking the bus would mean like 10 men behind the ball. Real Madrid scored like 3 goals a game in La Liga last year. Maybe your getting confused with the Chelsea team that won the CL...
    asdas

  19. #19
    bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-13-12
    Posts: 5,180
    Betpoints: 37

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    Totally false, at Real Madrid they were more of a counter attacking team, but that is not considered parking the bus. Parking the bus would mean like 10 men behind the ball. Real Madrid scored like 3 goals a game in La Liga last year. Maybe your getting confused with the Chelsea team that won the CL...
    dsd

  20. #20
    daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-14-08
    Posts: 27,098
    Betpoints: 1028

    1-1-5

  21. #21
    opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-12-10
    Posts: 23,445
    Betpoints: 430

    Mexicans

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017

    SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011


  22. #22
    MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-01-09
    Posts: 13,263
    Betpoints: 252

    Quote Originally Posted by zooom View Post
    theyre gonna own the US on tuesday
    Shutout

    Good luck the rest of the way....

    As for the US.....WE ARE GOING TO BRAZIL!!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Kraken

  23. #23
    MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-01-09
    Posts: 13,263
    Betpoints: 252

    Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    Well basically any muscle injuries like over training....like calf, groin, hamstring injuries.

    I would like sudden death too, but that would just mean less games being played, you could probably only play 1 game a week or have strong rotation in the squads which would mean lesser quality players playing. Plus it's not really needed in qualification/league games. If a team wants to advanced their gonna have to get wins. Out of the 25 European world cup qualifying games today only 5 were draws.
    I think you could have the same amount of games.....Maybe add Sudden Death for 15 extra minutes, 2 extra subs allowed if game is tied after regulation, then shootouts.......Even though they are somewhat random, they are fukkin exciting as hell

    Of course it won't ever happen, but I think this would make the game more exciting in the long run

  24. #24
    EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-06-06
    Posts: 71,665

    If you bet soccer, you love draws. Big odds and a money maker if you pick some spots to play them.

  25. #25
    daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-14-08
    Posts: 27,098
    Betpoints: 1028

    Us saves Mexico. I expect my tostadas to be half of at Los Compadres today
    Points Awarded:

    Ra77er gave daneblazer 260 SBR Point(s) for this post.

    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ra77er, and edabramov

  26. #26
    Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-20-11
    Posts: 10,857
    Betpoints: 136


  27. #27
    thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-25-11
    Posts: 17,425

    mexico has been a complete embarassment to themselves during qualifying, also had awful showings in the confederation cup and gold cup this summer. wuld b something if new zealand drives the stake in the heart next month
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/06/2020

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/03/2020

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/30/2020


  28. #28
    daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-14-08
    Posts: 27,098
    Betpoints: 1028

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Thanks for the pts ra77er

  29. #29
    pavyracer
    Julia Alex.
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 67,867
    Betpoints: 2052

    People who don't bet draws in soccer leave so much money on the table.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/03/2020

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/30/2020


  30. #30
    daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-14-08
    Posts: 27,098
    Betpoints: 1028

    You're welcome Mexico

  31. #31
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 16,854
    Betpoints: 768

    They will "lose" in the world cup...

  32. #32
    SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-28-10
    Posts: 4,157
    Betpoints: 6248

    people hate soccer? last time i checked, soccer was the most popular sport on the planet

    billions of people watch it from every single country

    nobody gives a shit about american sports, not even americans, unless they are gamblers



    oh and am. fooball games end in draws all the time, just cause one of the teams wins the game at cointoss overtime on a field goal from halfway across the field doesnt make the game more interesting

    thats all that am. football is, get the ball, run a few yards, kick a field goal, lather rinse repeat, score 15 points without getting within 30 yards of the end zone... oh and leave it to americans to turn a 60 minute game into a 3 hour headache, not to mention that with modern rules and regulations were you get penalized for even looking at a receiver/qb, badminton is more of a contact sport than the nfl
    Last edited by SportsMushroom; 11-20-13 at 02:52 PM.

  33. #33
    easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-25-12
    Posts: 8,878
    Betpoints: 10

    and they still qualified to the world cup cuz they play a bunch of no name caribbean countries and play the ocenia team in qualification. a ton of european+south american teams a whole lot better than them.

  34. #34
    Giz
    Giz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-06-13
    Posts: 1,703

    Mexico are a decent team you know, I don't think Giovanni Dos Santos or Pea played either.

Top