No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    I like this play a lot based on each pitcher having his "normal" effort, which is really all that you can cap ahead of time.
    Given the typical run support for both pitchers, the hitter-friendly park, top two teams in the league in runs scored, top two teams in the league in OPS, etc., why would you assume the pitchers would have "normal" efforts tonight? That's the point I guess I'm missing here.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Scherzer looks tempting as a tiny dog too as he again tries to become the only other pitcher besides Roger Clemens to begin a season 20-1. He comes off of his worst start of the year, I don't see him having two duds in a row. Guy has a 2.90 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, .196 batting average allowed and 201 strikeouts vs. 43 walks in 183.1 innings. It's a bit surprising that he is only seventh in the majors in FIP, 11th in xFIP and fourth in WAR, but the guy is still a stud. Still, Lester is in great form too, allowing three runs or less in five straight starts and in 10 of his last 11, including allowing two earned or less in four of those last five. The Under looks like the better play here, although I wouldn't argue with Scherzer at + odds.
    These numbers are of less and less consequence at this time of year with the amount of pitches thrown and innings pitched. Two bad starts in a row would do little to change them. Two bad starts in a row would indicate a problem not reflected in the advanced metrics. Case in point Adam Wainright. He has been crushed twice out and still had great saber stats leading into his second shelling.

Where you want to look is in the pitch charts, location charts, velocity and release point. Compare them over the last month and then to a start in early June. It is quite easy to determine start by start regression when analyzing an arm ( that may be tired) and a pitch selection, rather than hoping the metrics hold true because they have not yet indicated they would not.

What folks should be looking at in this one is what is going to happen rather than what has happend. That approach is paramount late in the year.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    These numbers are of less and less consequence at this time of year with the amount of pitches thrown and innings pitched. Two bad starts in a row would do little to change them. Two bad starts in a row would indicate a problem not reflected in the advanced metrics. Case in point Adam Wainright. He has been crushed twice out and still had great saber stats leading into his second shelling.

Where you want to look is in the pitch charts, location charts, velocity and release point. Compare them over the last month and then to a start in early June. It is quite easy to determine start by start regression when analyzing an arm ( that may be tired) and a pitch selection, rather than hoping the metrics hold true because they have not yet indicated they would not.

What folks should be looking at in this one is what is going to happen rather than what has happend. That approach is paramount late in the year.
    Well said.

I personally don't know how anyone could back Scherzer and the Tigers in this spot, but that's just me.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Good post, another case in point is Kuroda, who I expect will be schooled tonight by Chris Sale.

thes0vereign
    Don't bet with your heart.
    thes0vereign's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

FF over has hit in 3/4 of Scherzer's starts.

billysink

Scherzer has historically been prone to high pitch counts against lefthanded hitters. I don't have the lineup from last in front of me but I seem to remember the A's loading up an entire lineup of left handed or switch hitters and I recall that being what I thought was the key to the game. If my memory serves me correct I think he threw around 105 or so pitches and only a dozen were against righties. I would not read too much into that start unless the Red Sox load left as well.

I also seem to remember a drop of about 1.75 MPH on the slider as well. I don't have those stats in front of me right now but they would be worth looking into. I also recollect that Lester's pitch selection looks like cotton candy to a lot of the right handed batting lineup Detroit may present.

matthew919
    Update your status
    matthew919's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5869

Miggy's in, grab the over 8 -103 while you can get it.

thes0vereign
    Don't bet with your heart.
    thes0vereign's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Jackson
    Hunter
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    Martinez
    Infante
    Tuiasosopo
    Pena
    Iglesias

Big bats present and accounted for.

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Bought down and went over 7.5 -128

ebelisle22
    ebelisle22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Sherszer is going to get shelled tonight

ebelisle22
    ebelisle22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by thes0vereign View Post
    Jackson
    Hunter
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    Martinez
    Infante
    Tuiasosopo
    Pena
    Iglesias

False

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by thes0vereign View Post
    Jackson
    Hunter
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    Martinez
    Infante
    Tuiasosopo
    Pena
    Iglesias

That's the A lineup pretty much Think they will light up lester tonight

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by ebelisle22 View Post
    Sherszer is going to get shelled tonight

Fernburn74
    2018-2019 season
    Fernburn74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13496

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    Good luck. Tonight

Fernburn74
    2018-2019 season
    Fernburn74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13496

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Nicely put. Right on

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Fernburn74 View Post
    Good luck. Tonight
    thx lol .. going against him in fantasy .. need a good week lmao

stevenash

If I'm Lester, I'm leaving my cutter at home, He's in love with the cutter, however he's not Mo and he doesn't have a good one. Any Tiger in that line up can crush a mediocre 91 mph cutter, his out pitch is his four seamer, and he's got a good hook, but if he insists on throwing that crappy cut fastball. He's not making inning four.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Yet they are dogs...

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    If I'm Lester, I'm leaving my cutter at home, He's in love with the cutter, however he's not Mo and he doesn't have a good one. Any Tiger in that line up can crush a mediocre 91 mph cutter, his out pitch is his four seamer, and he's got a good hook, but if he insists on throwing that crappy cut fastball. He's not making inning four.
    who u on tonight nasty

Down_Goes Bookie
    Down_Goes Bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tigers are #2 in MLB vs. LHP at .274 and have smacked Lester around with a roughly .333 BA over the last three meetings. Wouldn't be surprised to see him touched up for 4 ERs pretty quickly, particularly given how he's prone to struggle at Fenway. Meanwhile Scherzer is gunning to reassert himself with a strong performance in something of a playoff atmosphere. Tigers 6 Red Sox 2.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    who u on tonight nasty
    Brews at home +108. Cole is going to get lit up, and Gallardo will reward anybody who backs the Brews.
    I like this play a lot, I like home bow-wows and this is a good spot.

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Down_Goes Bookie View Post
    Tigers are #2 in MLB vs. LHP at .274 and have smacked Lester around with a roughly .333 BA over the last three meetings. Wouldn't be surprised to see him touched up for 4 ERs pretty quickly, particularly given how he's prone to struggle at Fenway. Meanwhile Scherzer is gunning to reassert himself with a strong performance in something of a playoff atmosphere. Tigers 6 Red Sox 2.
    interesting way of looking at it

You mad bro

Brews at home +108. Cole is going to get lit up, and Gallardo will reward anybody who backs the Brews.
    I like this play a lot, I like home bow-wows and this is a good spot.
    hit 2500 on a lotto ticket .. was looking for a game to throw it down on lol

idk if i can throw that kinda money on the crew tonight ... might have to split it up

billysink

here is a guy who looked at it right. Every Tiger other than Tory in tonights line is a plus cutter hitter. Some big plus

stevenash

here is a guy who looked at it right. Every Tiger other than Tory in tonights line is a plus cutter hitter. Some big plus
    His cutter is nothing but a hit me hard flat fastball.

billysink

His cutter is nothing but a hit me hard flat fastball.
    Never had a lot of break but now down a couple of inches in the zone and 2 mph short of June

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Detroit pen worries me a bit and Sox have hit well late and poorly against good starting pitching.

Here's my play:

Detroit Tigers 1st 5 Innings +½ -145

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Detroit has gone over in the first five innings at an 18-6-3 clip with Scherzer on the mound.

turtlejc

Like white sox / Yankees over first 5 3.5 -115 a lot

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Under 8 available at +110 now if you still like it, LT.

stevenash

Holy crap, that last fastball to Pedroia had late movement and had to hit 98 mph on the slow gun.
    Made DP look stupid.
    WOW. JUST WOW

turtlejc

Ya were all fukked

LT wins

stevenash

lol
    Who told Bryan Pena he had any foot speed at all?
    lol
    Lester got a gift

dartmouthemcee
    dartmouthemcee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2712

I am on the under on this as well - got in at 8.5 last night

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    2 of the most prolific offenses in the game and this guey says the under is a lock LMFAO
    it's baseball, dude

First 123 Last