daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Is Coach Spo a hall of famer? According to Jeff Van Gundy he is!

To their chagrin, Spo and Pop will be in the spotlight.

"It's easier to talk about how they are similar versus how they are dissimilar," said ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy, a former NBA coach who is part of the broadcast team for the series that opens Thursday in Miami. "They are both going to the Hall of Fame. They both have tremendous respect from the coaches they coach against, and they both have a level of humility that I believe shows NBA coaching in the most positive light possible."

"Erik is still in the phase where he gets more blame for their losses than credit for their wins, but he's going to the Hall of Fame. He's that good," Van Gundy said.

It seems that JVG is drunk..

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Obviously he isn't a HOF'er, he's only been a coach for a few years. I do think he is a very good coach though, and he will eventually be in the HOF.

He will never get much credit because all the success will be credited to LeBron and the talented roster, but yes he is a very good coach.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Ha!!!!

daimoshokage

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Obviously he isn't a HOF'er, he's only been a coach for a few years. I do think he is a very good coach though, and he will eventually be in the HOF.

He will never get much credit because all the success will be credited to LeBron and the talented roster, but yes he is a very good coach.
    Yeah, guy is a very good coach but calling him a hof is a fukking reach.. i really wanna smoke what jvg is smoking when he spit-out that shit..

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I'm not sure he belongs in the Hall of the Very Good, much less the Hall of Fame...

JM92
    JM92's Avatar Become A Pro!

tell me one, one time or when series where you noticed a clear edge or a good decision regarding match-ups or just the style of play that Spoelstra made. just one. thank you.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

I don't think he did a very good job at all of coaching that team up during the Pacers series. At all.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

if i was currently the heats coach, i would most likely be a hofer too

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

He's not even close to the HOF. Van Gundy has a hard time saying anything negative about other couches, but to say SPO is HOF now is just plain silly.

The Van Gundy brothers don't drink, not that you were being serious, but he was probably hopped on Taco Bell. Jeff said when he would come to Miami to see Stan, their pregame was eating at the Taco Bell by AA arena. Some SBR had to see that, right? Two Van Gundy's stuffing their faces with dog meat

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
    tell me one, one time or when series where you noticed a clear edge or a good decision regarding match-ups or just the style of play that Spoelstra made. just one. thank you.
    There was pretty general agreement here that he outcoached Scotty Brooks in the finals last year. He was pretty innovative too - when Bosh came back, he stayed with a ridiculously small ball lineup and it worked. Pops is a great coach, but he is somehow immune from criticism, even in years where the Spurs were bounced out of the playoffs early by inferior teams. If Spo doesn't win the championship, people think he should be fired.

LowRollin
    LowRollin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

hes not bad but HOFer is a bit much

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

any bum off the street could coach the current Miami Heat or Chicago Bulls of Jordan/Pippen Era
    Last edited by Shafted69; 06-05-13 at 11:55 AM.

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

No, he is a bum. When he gets on the level of Doc Rivers, Popovich, and George Karl then we'll talk.

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

One thing people do not realize about Spo, is he is a video guy. He came out of miami's video room and one of his strongest abilities, is to analyze tape and make adjustments. People forget that and think its all Lebron.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This thread topic gave me cancer.

If dude makes the HoF, I quit life.

Heist
    Heist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

How high is he?

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

How is he even "really good"?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Take away LBJ and coach has a 39 and 42 regular season record.

ROYAJA8
    ROYAJA8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 257

He can be a HOF coach if Lebron sticks with Miami for long enough haha.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Take away LBJ and coach has a 39 and 42 regular season record.

He was 47-35 in 2009-2010 before either James or Bosh. That was with a very depleted roster.

As of today, of course he shouldn't be in. He hasn't accomplished quite enough nor does he have the longevity. IMO being in the HOF means you were one of the best of your era for a prolonged period of time.

I think when it's all said and done though, yes, he will be well deserved to get in.

This is his third finals appearance in three years, with one championship. LBJ or not.

Having a great player on your team can't count against you. That's like saying Phil Jackson doesn't deserve to be in the HOF because he never won without Jordan or Kobe.

Common mang

daimoshokage

Quote Originally Posted by Shafted69 View Post
    any bum off the street could coach the current Miami Heat or Chicago Bulls of Jordan/Pippen Era
    Put Vinny Del Negro on the Heat and they will be beaten by the Bucks in the first round! FACT!