easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Where does Jason Kidd rank in the best PG of all time list?

Now that he has retired we can finally look back at a great career and start digesting it. As A Nets fan he was my favorite player in the NBA for many years. Made the Nets relevant again after many years. He clearly should have been the league MVP his first season with the Nets and with all due respect to Duncan kid served it that year. The 2 straight finals were the years I enjoyed the NBA the most and I used to look forward to watching every game no matter who they were playing against. I can't explain how happy I was when I found out he had signed a new contract in 03 instead of leaving for the Spurs or another contender. If they had gotten him a better help than Carter who clearly was the wrong choice he perhaps would have won a title in Jersey. But in the end I'm just glad he was able to win 1 in Dallas.

To get back to topic guy was clearly the best PG of the last 20 years not counting Stockton. Some of you might make a case for Nash and Nash was is a better shooter but Nash isn't half the defender Kidd was. Even in his last seasons he was still drawing charges. At his prime he was one of the best defenders in the league.Kidd was also a triple double machine and 1 of the better rebounding point guards. I remember on multiple occasions where he missed triple doubles because of points.Another stat people forget is that Kidd ranks 3rd all time in 3s made. You don't rank 3rd overall by being a poor shooter.

No doubt in my mind he is top 5 all time after Magic,Stockton, Isaiah Thomas, and Oscar Robertson. So where do you rank him?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BennyBigNuts

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Top 7 for sure. Maybe higher. Stockton? Come on bro. Kidd is better than stockton. I don't even think that's a debate to be honest. Chris Paul will probably go down as a better pg than both of them when it's all said and done. you have a good top 5 list though.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

yeah, i agree, he was elite. was also glad he won 1 in dallas

he is number 2 in assists - magic number 1
    he is number 2 in steals - stockton number 1

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Top 7 for sure. Maybe higher. Stockton? Come on bro. Kidd is better than stockton. I don't even think that's a debate to be honest. Chris Paul will probably go down as a better pg than both of them when it's all said and done. you have a good top 5 list though.
    As everyone else will say as well Stockton's numbers are definitely inflated because he played with Malone but he was still a great player.

As far as Paul its too early to say anything but he still has no playoff success and its clear that the success won't come with the Clippers and he needs to move on.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I don't understand why Stockton gets so much hate. It's amazing.

Only PG's I'd ever put ahead of Stockton is Magic and maybe Oscar (but I really don't know shit about him).

Not only did he put up historic numbers on offense, while he was playing, but he also was a very good defender. Many people think Steve Nash is Stockton - that is incredibly wrong, as Nash hasn't even played a single moment of defense in his life.

Anyway, Kidd is top 7-10.
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 06-03-13 at 04:34 PM.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Spud Webb is better

dalogester
    dalogester's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 416

He ranks in te NBA FORUM, NUB LOL.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

more like the wife beater list

tony_come

His ezwife needs a good beating

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Top 10-15 range

tony_come

Shawn Livingston is better

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3388

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    I will take Stockton over Kidd. Better shooter as he shot .515% for his career as opposed to .400% for Kidd. Stockton was a sniper. Kidd was a good player, but a notch below Stockton.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32329

Steve Nash is/was better than Kidd.
    Stockton was better than Steve Nash
    If you consider Magic a true point guard, he was probably the greatest.

Before my time, I was in grade school when Clyde was running the point for the Knicks, and my grandfather tells me Cousy was the best

Delicious
    Delicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1875

Mark Jackson deserves mention..... would put him and Stockton ahead of kidd if it was my list

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32329

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious View Post
    Mark Jackson deserves mention..... would put him and Stockton ahead of kidd if it was my list
    Larry Bird said Dennis Johnson was the greatest teammate he ever played with

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Magic. By a mile.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

the mayor of sacramento might be one of the most underrated players in nba history
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 8ArIvd5

tony_come

Kidd is better kevin Johnson

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

tony boxers or briefs

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious View Post
    Seriously?

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Probably top 10 for sure. Lots of good PGs before him though

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    the mayor of sacramento might be one of the most underrated players in nba history

One of the smartest NBA players ever.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    Now that he has retired we can finally look back at a great career and start digesting it. As A Nets fan he was my favorite player in the NBA for many years. Made the Nets relevant again after many years. He clearly should have been the league MVP his first season with the Nets and with all due respect to Duncan kid served it that year. The 2 straight finals were the years I enjoyed the NBA the most and I used to look forward to watching every game no matter who they were playing against. I can't explain how happy I was when I found out he had signed a new contract in 03 instead of leaving for the Spurs or another contender. If they had gotten him a better help than Carter who clearly was the wrong choice he perhaps would have won a title in Jersey. But in the end I'm just glad he was able to win 1 in Dallas.

To get back to topic guy was clearly the best PG of the last 20 years not counting Stockton. Some of you might make a case for Nash and Nash was is a better shooter but Nash isn't half the defender Kidd was. Even in his last seasons he was still drawing charges. At his prime he was one of the best defenders in the league.Kidd was also a triple double machine and 1 of the better rebounding point guards. I remember on multiple occasions where he missed triple doubles because of points.Another stat people forget is that Kidd ranks 3rd all time in 3s made. You don't rank 3rd overall by being a poor shooter.

No doubt in my mind he is top 5 all time after Magic,Stockton, Isaiah Thomas, and Oscar Robertson. So where do you rank him?
    You are the man sir. Was coming on here to write up the same piece.
    You were all over it thought.

Woulda definitely took him over Isaiah. Probly 4th best pg of all-time.

Only blemish was smacking his wife up a few times. But on the court, guy was an absolute beast.

DEUCED
    DEUCED's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post

Does he play baseball? No? Then who gives a shit.

KnucklePuck
    KnucklePuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 62

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    yeah, i agree, he was elite. was also glad he won 1 in dallas

he is number 2 in assists - magic number 1
    he is number 2 in steals - stockton number 1
    Stockon is the all time leader in assists by almost 4,000. He has 5,000+ more assists than Magic.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Stockton
    Frazier
    Magic
    Oscar Robertson
    Payton
    Nash
    Archibald
    Cousy
    Maravich
    Monroe
    Isiah Thomas
    West
    Wilkens

Somewhere in this list

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Top 15 for sure. One of the few pg's of my time who could play/defend the post and grab boards on a consistent basis.