stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Does Mattingly get fired within the week?

Normally from the Torre school of reserved thought, Mattingly did not stop with criticizing his players. He fired shots at team management as well, noting that the roster composition focused too much on getting big names rather than finding guys who fit together as a unit (per Rosenthal).

There has to be a mixture of competitiveness. It’s not, ‘Let’s put an All-Star team together and the All-Star team wins.’ It’s finding that balance of a team that has a little bit of grit and will fight you. And also having talent to go with it.

Guggenheim Baseball Management, a group that includes former Lakers guard Magic Johnson, bought the Dodgers for a record $2 billion purchase price in 2012 and instantly began making sweeping changes.
    The most notable changes from the Guggenheim group was adding high-priced veterans. Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford were acquired in a deal with the Boston Red Sox during the 2012 regular season, and starting pitcher Zack Greinke signed a six-year, $147 million deal this offseason.

At just under $217 million, the Dodgers have the second-highest payroll in baseball behind the Yankees for this season.
    The problem is, unlike the Bronx Bombers, those free-spending ways haven't led to on-field success. Los Angeles was 18-26 heading into its tilt against the Brewers on Wednesday, dead last in the National League West and seven games behind the Giants and Diamondbacks.
    Those disappointing performances led to rumors Mattingly was firmly on the hot seat. Though team management said earlier this week there were "no plans" to replace Mattingly, Wednesday's quotes could spark a different discussion.

And if Mattingly does lose his job, he's making it quite clear he won't go down without saying his piece.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Dodgers and Angels

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good chance

I posted he got the "vote of confidence" from management 3 days ago

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Old news. Apparently he's not getting fired but who knows. Like the poster above said, he just got a vote of confidence from ownership.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Don Mattingly was a great player. Great players rarely make good coaches.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

mattingly's getting heat because he benches ethier.

i don't blame him. they need to get rid of ethier and bring up puig.

ethier is an over-paid bum, send the bum to miami or something...

ProPicker713
    METS!
    ProPicker713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Don Mattingly was a great player. Great players rarely make good coaches.
    Don't make good owners either, Michael Jordan (bumcats) and Magic Johnson (aidgers)

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    mattingly's getting heat because he benches ethier.

i don't blame him. they need to get rid of ethier and bring up puig.

ethier is an over-paid bum, send the bum to miami or something...
    Wrong. He's not getting any heat for benching ethier. He was getting a lot of heat for his horrible bullpen management.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

he was getting heat until they won. if they lost that game, guarantee everyone and their moms would say, "how can you bench ethier?"

jnickell100

na man. I read dodger shit All day, way to much. Dodger fans have had it with ethier this year.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
    Old news. Apparently he's not getting fired but who knows. Like the poster above said, he just got a vote of confidence from ownership.
    Often when that happens in sports, the person in question gets the ax. I think his days are numbered.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

I dunno but he should shave his sideburns.

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

With the way this team is playing, I dont think any manager could have any real success...same with the angels and jays.