No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

If Mike Rice were Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart, would he have been fired?

In other words, if a tape surfaced showing a very successful coach at a very successful program acting like this in the prime of his career, would he receive a similar fate? Or is this as much about Rice's lack of success on the court as it is about his actions on these videos?

Would be interesting to see how an institution would handle the situation if the shit suddenly hit the fan with a "hot commodity" coach or a high-profile program in its prime.

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

This shit happens at more schools than people think. He is the one that got caught on tape.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

It'll never happen because you cannot build a solid program with a leader like that
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GUMMO77, and YouHave2outs

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    It'll never happen because you cannot build a solid program with a leader like that
    Are you telling me Bobby Knight didn't act similar to this when the doors were closed on his practices? Or was choking a player only added to his repertoire late in his career?

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

You are in denial. This is not an unusual thing in D1.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy04 View Post
    This shit happens at more schools than people think. He is the one that got caught on tape.
    I tend to agree with this. I'm not saying it happens everywhere or necessarily gets quite this bad, but there's plenty of politically incorrect behavior going on when the cameras aren't rolling at college programs across the country.

Judging by the people I know who were college athletes and the experiences I had in high school and playing JC ball before I went to a university and "retired" athletically, I guess I'm not all that surprised by this. I'm not condoning it, but it really didn't shock me. And I wonder what % of people who are stunned by what they saw never picked up a ball a day in their life.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3364

It's much preferred to win some games at a Major D1 school before you start acting like the tough Guy. Mike Rice is a Nobody in the coaching world.
    Last edited by Easy-Rider 66; 04-05-13 at 04:51 PM.

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

I m tired of ppl saying this happens at a lot of schools. Of course the screaming and cursing happens everywhere but, I highly doubt the ball throwing, getting physical with players happens.

Wilfred

Quote Originally Posted by gators0708 View Post
    I m tired of ppl saying this happens at a lot of schools. Of course the screaming and cursing happens everywhere but, I highly doubt the ball throwing, getting physical with players happens.
    Sorry, it happens.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by gators0708 View Post
    I highly doubt the ball throwing, getting physical with players happens.
    I don't.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

When I was watching the video, I really wanted to tell myself, oh that's not that bad, and wanted to support Rice because I'd expect stuff like this does happen. But he took it way over the top, there's no ground to stand on to support what he did. Verbal... Eh whatever kids can take it, but the physical contact was too much.

These stories get out, if coach K, izzo, Stevens, or Shaka were beating the shit out of their players, we'd know by now.

Wilfred

Fireable offense? Yes. Worse than a lot of coaches? No.

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    playing JC ball before I went to a university and "retired" athletically
    How was your retirement received by the fans, coiner?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

When I was watching the video, I really wanted to tell myself, oh that's not that bad, and wanted to support Rice because I'd expect stuff like this does happen. But he took it way over the top, there's no ground to stand on to support what he did. Verbal... Eh whatever kids can take it, but the physical contact was too much.

These stories get out, if coach K, izzo, Stevens, or Shaka were beating the shit out of their players, we'd know by now.
    Again, I saw Tom Izzo slug AJ Granger in the stomach during a timeout at Temple late in a game in '98.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by YouHave2outs View Post
    How was your retirement received by the fans, coiner?
    I said that in jest, obviously.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: YouHave2outs

YouHave2outs

Again, I saw Tom Izzo slug AJ Granger in the stomach during a timeout at Temple late in a game in '98.

"No video results for “tom izzo punches aj granger”"
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-26-15 at 10:59 AM. Reason: link does not work

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

"No video results for “tom izzo punches aj granger”"
    It was during a timeout late in the second half. Granger had just turned the ball over. Izzo got "that look" on his face, and you could see him lunge at Granger and Granger's stomach move backward.

1998. At Temple. MSU lost a close game late. Pepe Sanchez hit a bunch of shots down the stretch. Mateen Cleaves almost got into it with a fan walking off the court.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-26-15 at 10:59 AM. Reason: link does not work
    Points Awarded:

YouHave2outs gave No coincidences 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

visualrealism
    visualrealism's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 684

No. See Mike Leech. Somewhat successful.

YouHave2outs

It was during a timeout late in the second half. Granger had just turned the ball over. Izzo got "that look" on his face, and you could see him lunge at Granger and Granger's stomach move backward.

1998. At Temple. MSU lost a close game late. Pepe Sanchez hit a bunch of shots down the stretch. Mateen Cleaves almost got into it with a fan walking off the court.
    Pepe Sanchez was 2 for 7 in the game. He scored 11 points.

Brebos
    Brebos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 271

I would take his ass outside and go a few rounds, mike rice you gonna learn today

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Pepe Sanchez was 2 for 7 in the game. He scored 11 points.
    He hit a big bucket late I know that basically sealed it, and scored almost all of his points right at the end.

detroitlionsfan
    detroitlionsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

isnt what rice did basically the same thing every football program does without the homo stuff

this really boils down to the slurs which i cant picture stevens doing

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11889

Even in HS playing basketball I remember if during practice you were out of position, the coach would sometimes stop play, come over and grab you and forcefully drag you to where you should be. He wasn't wispering kind things to you either. I know this isn't as bad as the Mike Rice examples, but still I can believe it happens at many other schools.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

i'm not sure brad stevens has enough muscle to throw a basketball at anyone

and if he did, they sure wouldn't be intimidated by it
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-26-15 at 10:58 AM. Reason: image does not exist

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    i'm not sure brad stevens has enough muscle to throw a basketball at anyone

and if he did, they sure wouldn't be intimidated by it
    I just meant that if Rice were enjoying their kind of success on the court would he be fired if the same tape surfaced.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 02-26-15 at 10:58 AM. Reason: image does not exist

milwaukee mike

I just meant that if Rice were enjoying their kind of success on the court would he be fired if the same tape surfaced.
    interesting question

another one of those stories where this stuff had been going on for years, and everyone turned a blind eye to it. you can get away with anything as long as you don't piss people off who can rat on you

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Rice is not sorry or apologetic. Just sad and upset that he was caught.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    interesting question

another one of those stories where this stuff had been going on for years, and everyone turned a blind eye to it. you can get away with anything as long as you don't piss people off who can rat on you
    Pretty weak of Murdock to pull this shit after the fact. He waits until after his contract isn't renewed to turn the tape in, and I see him being celebrated by some of the media. What a joke. Doubt the tape would've ever surfaced had he not had an ax to grind for being left behind. Good luck getting another job at the D-I level.

milwaukee mike

Pretty weak of Murdock to pull this shit after the fact. He waits until after his contract isn't renewed to turn the tape in, and I see him being celebrated by some of the media. What a joke. Doubt the tape would've ever surfaced had he not had an ax to grind for being left behind. Good luck getting another job at the D-I level.
    murdock is an ex-bucks player so i give him the benefit of the doubt here

Quake
    Quake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

wouldn't happen but yes, they would get canned as well.

15805's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16182

Murdock is the only guy who should have been fired, he tried to shake Rutgers down & when it didn't work out for him he ratted them out.

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sure, it happens a lot, some shoving and pushing and an occasional thrown ball, and occasionally a homo slur but Jesuschrist not as often and constant as Rice...
    Throwing basketballs is one thing, but the absolute is, there is NO WAY if someone gets caught using the homo slur multiple times, they survive. Even Shaka and Stephens. GONE.
    The media would blow it up, the gays would protest, leaders would urge gay students to no longer attend the school (& future students, "stay away"), march, boycott, sue, you name it...
    Last edited by Serbone; 04-05-13 at 06:12 PM.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post
    ure, it happens a lot, some shoving and pushing and an occasional thrown ball, and occasionally a slut, but not as often and constant as Rice...
    Throwing basketballs is one thing, but the absolute is, there is NO WAY if someone gets caught using the homo slur multiple times, they survive. Even Shaka and Stephens. GONE.
    The media would blow it up, the gays would protest, leaders would urge gay students to no longer attend the school (& future students, "stay away"), march, boycott, sue, you name it...
    I completely agree with this. In our current stupid, way over the top PC about 3.8% of the population

I hetero guilt is 10 times whatever white guilt is

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Yes they would have been fired. But I think Brad Stevens is too skinny to actually physically hurt anyone. He looks like the kid who was always picked on in the hood.

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Crazy thing is I'm sure he did this at Rmu when I was there but it was Rmu in little Moon township so nobody was saying shit and winning Nec tourneys he's a decent coach his actions were cross the line thou

12 Last