1. #1
    Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-12-09
    Posts: 7,143

    Favre all done by Week 5

    That's right kids, Brett will have tarnished his legacy in Green Bay forever and will be watching from the sidelines by Week 5. Whether you were a Favre fan or not, it was basically a universally shared opinion that he was one tough hombre blending seamlessly in his adopted blue collar town of Green Bay Wisconsin. He had the kind of grit and determination that's admired in that part of the world coupled with a gambler's mentality that made even the most grizzled Packer fan get up and cheer. He was the Marlboro man with a helmet on his head and a cannon on his arm. Brett Favre, pro bowl quarterback, future hall of famer and the guy everyone would love to have a beer with.

    But then a funny thing happened. Time ultimately caught up to Brett like it does to every athlete and thoughts of retirement began to ruminate in his head. Hell, nobody in Packerland wanted him to leave but if he were to walk away, his reign was replete with three MVP trophies and the hallowed Lombardi trophy for winning Super Bowl 31. If the king were to step down, he would name the time and place of his successor's coronation. Unfortunately, Favre's propensity for throwing perfectly timed passes on the field did not translate to a perfectly timed retirement off of it. He hemmed and he hawed. And Packer management held their collective breath through the college draft not wanting to upset the franchise or his devoted fans. Was he in or out? Brett didn't seem to care and his metamorphosis from a god to a fraud had begun. Now the transformation is complete and he will end his career as the Benedict Arnold of Green Bay by signing with their fiercest rivals, the Minnesota Vikings. Anything short of winning a Super Bowl will make this a decision he will regret long after the cheers have faded. Not only has he proven to be self absorbed he is now self delusional. He has found the going mighty rough this preseason and it won't get any easier once the first stringers start swarming the backfield.

    By week 5 either his body, or the Minnesota coaching staff, will have abandoned him. By the end of the year he may rationalize it as a courageous comeback attempt that just so happened to fatten his bank account in the process. But what he doesn't realize, not yet anyway, is his return to Lambeau Field for any commemoration now or in the future, will be met with a sound he's never heard before while standing before his loyal subjects. Jeers and boos will split the once unanimous chorus of whistles and cheers for old number four. The legend has been tarnished. The glory has faded. The king is dead. Packer fans rejoice!

    BTP
    Week 12
    4-0-1 1017 pts


  2. #2
    Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-11-05
    Posts: 32,843
    Betpoints: 188

    If a so called Packer fan were to boo him 5 years after his retirement, then they are not or never were real Packer fans.................................

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/11/2005


  3. #3
    Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-16-08
    Posts: 23,735
    Betpoints: 37

    Nice write-up. Go Minnesota Vicodins!

  4. #4
    Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-12-09
    Posts: 7,143

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    If a so called Packer fan were to boo him 5 years after his retirement, then they are not or never were real Packer fans.................................
    Oh they're Packer fans alright....they're just no longer Favre fans. He's no fan of theirs I can tell you. Thanks Bread.

    BTP
    Week 12
    4-0-1 1017 pts


  5. #5
    biggamerife21
    biggamerife21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 529
    Betpoints: 115

    he will retire by week 5 and come back by week 8?

  6. #6
    fsugolf
    fsugolf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-17-09
    Posts: 6,194
    Betpoints: 36

    there's packer fans and there's favre fans....being a packer fan doesn't immediately make you a favre fan

  7. #7
    jjgold
    Iowa City
    jjgold's Avatar MLB Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 300,678

    I think he has cracked ribs this week

    lol hurt alreadt

    BTP
    Week 12
    3-2-0 329 pts

    BTP
    Week 11
    4-1-0 655 pts

    BTP
    Week 10
    3-2-0 431 pts

    BTP
    Week 10
    3-2-0 291 pts

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$

    Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  8. #8
    BobHarvey
    951
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-08-08
    Posts: 3,987
    Betpoints: 128

    I'm a Favre fan. And I'm also a fan of free enterprise. There's not a guy on this board who if put in Favre's spot would have turned down $10 million dollars. I sense there's a lot of Favre envy/jealousy working here.

    He's as much an entertainer as he is a football player. More power to him. And yes I freely admit I'm a Favre apologist.

  9. #9
    Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-12-09
    Posts: 7,143

    Quote Originally Posted by BobHarvey View Post
    I'm a Favre fan. And I'm also a fan of free enterprise. There's not a guy on this board who if put in Favre's spot would have turned down $10 million dollars. I sense there's a lot of Favre envy/jealousy working here.

    He's as much an entertainer as he is a football player. More power to him. And yes I freely admit I'm a Favre apologist.
    Bob, when you talk about professional athletes as mercenaries, I not only agree with you I agree with the athletes. Now the histrionics Favre engaged in by debating his retirement while the Packer management waited and waited was unnecessary. Make a decision one way or the other. It wasn't his choices that I found annoying it was his public deliberations and back peddling that quite honestly, wasn't fair to the franchise or it's fans going forward. He affected their entire draft by not declaring one way or the other.

    As for his signing with Minnesoata, personally, I could care less. I have no skin in this game whatsoever. However, I can tell you that the money he's making with Minnesota he could have made close to that amount with a few other teams if he had waited. Is the extra money worth tarnishing his reputation in Green Bay? And it is tarnished, there is no debate there. I believe this is a guy who is so petty he wanted to sign with Minnesota just to stick it to the Green Bay management team that refused to wait forever for Brett to come around. This guy leaves me cold.

    BTP
    Week 12
    4-0-1 1017 pts


  10. #10
    fsugolf
    fsugolf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-17-09
    Posts: 6,194
    Betpoints: 36

    He retired from NYJ just so he could sign with Minny IMO

  11. #11
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 70,880
    Betpoints: 150

    Quote Originally Posted by BobHarvey View Post
    I'm a Favre fan. And I'm also a fan of free enterprise. There's not a guy on this board who if put in Favre's spot would have turned down $10 million dollars. I sense there's a lot of Favre envy/jealousy working here.

    He's as much an entertainer as he is a football player. More power to him. And yes I freely admit I'm a Favre apologist.

    bob the problem is that favre just isnt that good anymore. he will be remembered for that interception against the giants in a game where the better team lost
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 12/03/2018

    SBR
    Sharp
    Bettor

    $$$$$


  12. #12
    BobHarvey
    951
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-08-08
    Posts: 3,987
    Betpoints: 128

    SJ,

    You make some good points and I'm sure we could debate the histrionics that were involved in his decision making process as well. I think he still holds a big grudge against Green Bay and that was a factor in coming back to play this year. The money is probably secondary.

    Regarding his reputation in Green Bay or how he'll be perceived down the road, I though Favre summed it up pretty well in his first news conference with the Vikings:

    "Let Me Worry About My Legacy".

    People who didn't like Favre before, like him even less today. People who are Green Bay fans probably don't like Favre right now. But Favre fans will back the guy no matter the number of retirements he comes out of.

    As I recall, one of this generations greatest athletes and a true icon, Muhammad Ali, retired and un-retired too. Favre is just the latest in a long list of players who was ready to quit the game but when push came to shove, he just wasn't ready to walk away from the game yet. I wouldn't either if I could still play at a high level.


    That's one of the many fun things about spo

  13. #13
    BobHarvey
    951
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-08-08
    Posts: 3,987
    Betpoints: 128

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    bob the problem is that favre just isnt that good anymore. he will be remembered for that interception against the giants in a game where the better team lost
    LB,

    I agree. It was an ill advised throw and for all the hype about him being a cold weather quarterback, etc., he stunk in that game and cost the Pack' a chance to play for the SB.

    I also agree with FSU. This signing with Minny is more about sticking it to the Packers than it is about the money.


  14. #14
    Madukwe
    Madukwe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-12-09
    Posts: 601
    Betpoints: 234

    Nice post. Yeah, Favre really messed this one up.

  15. #15
    JimmyJet
    JimmyJet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-27-09
    Posts: 126

    Brett has shown that he is really, truly only about himself and not about the team. Football is a team sport and he has been quietly for the many years spent in Green Bay an icon only who cared about himself. He prolonged his decison to retire or come back every year for at least the last five years in Green Bay to the detriment of the team. Sherman babied him and treated him like he was the "team"...McCarthy and Thompson not so much. Good for them...Wisconsin fans of the Packers put the team above the individual. Favre was a good quarterback till about four years ago. Now he is a shell of his former greatness with no scramble and no heart for the cold or difficult games. He is a man with a family that pushes him to give it one more try...they are delusional about his greatness as he is himself. Have been a Packer fan for 50+ years and his welcome back in Green Bay will never be there again...he has trashed his image as a team player and showed what his true character is...all about "me'. I for one hope they never retire his jersey number and give it to the next backup quarterback they draft....Rodgers will do just fine and take this team..maybe even this year to the Super Bowl and Favre will be a tarnished legend. I hope he does not get inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame and just maybe that will teach him...alas too late that team comes before the "star" not the other way around. Hope the Texans beat the Vikings bad tonight and do not excpect Favre to finish this season...he is finall too old and will be forced for lack of production or lack of a healthy body to complete this charade he so strongly believes in...another Super Bowl victory in the hated purple of the Vikings...his daughters dream will become a nightmare for him and his family and forever tarnish his "star".
    Points Awarded:

    fsugolf gave JimmyJet 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.


  16. #16
    exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-02-06
    Posts: 1,048
    Betpoints: 30

    Bob-

    Big difference for an individual athlete coming out of retirement versus a team player. Favre has spent the last 2 off seasons leaving 3 teams dangling for some period of time, at least publicly. As a fan of sports, these type of selfish athletes diminish my enthusiasm.

  17. #17
    Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-12-09
    Posts: 7,143

    Quote Originally Posted by BobHarvey View Post
    SJ,

    You make some good points and I'm sure we could debate the histrionics that were involved in his decision making process as well. I think he still holds a big grudge against Green Bay and that was a factor in coming back to play this year. The money is probably secondary.

    Regarding his reputation in Green Bay or how he'll be perceived down the road, I though Favre summed it up pretty well in his first news conference with the Vikings:

    "Let Me Worry About My Legacy".

    People who didn't like Favre before, like him even less today. People who are Green Bay fans probably don't like Favre right now. But Favre fans will back the guy no matter the number of retirements he comes out of.

    As I recall, one of this generations greatest athletes and a true icon, Muhammad Ali, retired and un-retired too. Favre is just the latest in a long list of players who was ready to quit the game but when push came to shove, he just wasn't ready to walk away from the game yet. I wouldn't either if I could still play at a high level.


    That's one of the many fun things about spo
    Bob,

    How nice to have civilized discourse (no not intercourse Prick, Bread, et al) and not point fingers when a disagreement occurs. Yes, indeed I wholeheartedly agree the money was secondary to the grudge he still holds. And I guess that's the crux of the matter for me. I believe Green Bay management showed a great deal of patience and restraint with him. They traded him because they had a quarterback they had committed to and because he asked to be traded. There's no blame to be assigned to them. Honestly Bob, I understand you're a big Favre fan but you're also an obviously intelligent guy who should understand this guy is not covering himself in glory in the twilight of his career. Even when he says "Let me worry about my legacy", he fails to recognize the fans who worship him vicariously share in that legacy as well and that's why they're angry. He's made it clear it's all about him and I, for one, cannot stomach that brand of arrogance in anyone. Even Brett Favre.

    BTP
    Week 12
    4-0-1 1017 pts


  18. #18
    Italia_NYC
    Italia_NYC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-18-06
    Posts: 664

    Quote Originally Posted by biggamerife21 View Post
    he will retire by week 5 and come back by week 8?
    I'll take "Things Brett Favre does with regularity" for $100 Alex.

  19. #19
    BobHarvey
    951
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-08-08
    Posts: 3,987
    Betpoints: 128

    Quote Originally Posted by exstatman View Post
    Bob-

    Big difference for an individual athlete coming out of retirement versus a team player. Favre has spent the last 2 off seasons leaving 3 teams dangling for some period of time, at least publicly. As a fan of sports, these type of selfish athletes diminish my enthusiasm.
    It's a solid point but don't these teams have to take some responsibility too? I mean someone in management saw some value in the guy. If the other teams hadn't come calling, I'm guessing he would have stayed retired.

    P.S. I didn't realize what a good golfer you were. Maybe we can get together with Brett in the off-season ....lol.

  20. #20
    mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-11-08
    Posts: 8,905
    Betpoints: 782

    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    Nice write-up. Go Minnesota Vicodins!

  21. #21
    BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-25-08
    Posts: 4,033
    Betpoints: 204

    If Farve makes it to the Ravens game, that Raven's D could snap Farve in 2 and a cracked rib might be the least of his worries.

    BTP
    Week 10
    3-2-0 443 pts

    BTP
    Week 10
    3-2-0 299 pts

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2018


  22. #22
    exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-02-06
    Posts: 1,048
    Betpoints: 30

    Quote Originally Posted by BobHarvey View Post

    It's a solid point but don't these teams have to take some responsibility too? I mean someone in management saw some value in the guy. If the other teams hadn't come calling, I'm guessing he would have stayed retired.

    P.S. I didn't realize what a good golfer you were. Maybe we can get together with Brett in the off-season ....lol.

    No question the teams were enablers and that allowed this circus to happen.

    I noticed you used the word "were", maybe my game will get better again in less than a year

  23. #23
    OvertimePlease
    OvertimePlease's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-20-09
    Posts: 409

    brett doesnt care about ur opinions, hes rich bitch!

  24. #24
    BobHarvey
    951
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-08-08
    Posts: 3,987
    Betpoints: 128

    Quote Originally Posted by exstatman View Post
    No question the teams were enablers and that allowed this circus to happen.

    I noticed you used the word "were", maybe my game will get better again in less than a year
    Strictly a grammatical error on my part. "Are" is certainly applicable.

Top