shoebox
    shoebox's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pirates should be ashamed of themselves.....

Year after years the farm system holds true, then trade trade trade........ Guess the Sid Bream slide created an organization that pimps its players out......

Could be contenders if they dont trade the blue chips....WTF

Panekkkk
    Panekkkk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 567

I'm not even a Pirates fan but their moves almost bother me... I can't even comprehend some.

Trading Nyjer Morgan was a terrible mistake. He is partly responsible for the Nats turnaround and is a bona fide lead-off man. Good lead-off guys are tough to come by and can add great consistency to any lineup. Giving up Sanchez wasn't too smart either. They got a haul of players in return though ... But I wonder who will turn out.

shoebox

This is how I feel of the Pirates organization.....

shoebox

Sucks untill these fukking trades I was hitting the buccos at 80% clip....

Spaceviews
    Spaceviews's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but can't you take these new gaps in the Pirates org. and use it as fade
    material? Just an idea, I'm not trying to intrude or anything. Just trying to help. BREAK A LEG
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: torontoparlay

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

Weird but i like there chances tonight.

shoebox

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceviews View Post
    I don't mean to sound ignorant, but can't you take these new gaps in the Pirates org. and use it as fade
    material? Just an idea, I'm not trying to intrude or anything. Just trying to help. BREAK A LEG

There all over the map, aside from capping what theyve done year after year promoted an unwillingness to put the best 9 players on the field every night.....I am beyond words what they have done...

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wish I was patient enough to explain why what the Pirates are doing is the right thing.

Mc Grumpy33
    Mc Grumpy33's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pimike View Post
    Weird but i like there chances tonight.
    Same here mate......

EBDOG
    EBDOG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1036

nyger morgan is having a great year but do you really think he can keep that up though multiple season i mean cmon. When you have the chance to get a potential stud in lastings milledge you have to pull the trigger on it and if he gets his attitude together he could be real good.

PsychoQ
    PsychoQ's Avatar Become A Pro!

The pirates are a joke i go to a lot of games and its sad..

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15
    ryanspeer2001's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

If you were to make a best of team for the pirates over the last 4 years. You would have a STRONG wild card contender. So many gems thrown out.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanspeer2001 View Post
    If you were to make a best of team for the pirates over the last 4 years. You would have a STRONG wild card contender. So many gems thrown out.
    They absolutely would not. There would be no one to pitch on that team, and the lineup would be mediocre at best.
    Last edited by element1286; 08-11-09 at 08:42 PM.

head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 500

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post

Could be contenders if they dont trade the blue chips....WTF
    They were still pretenders and will always be.....

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Maybe Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke will come out of retirement, maybe Doug drabek as well

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Pirates have been terrible for about 800 years or so now. How can people blame them for trading their mediocre starters in an effort to completely rebuild? In the last month the Pirates farm system became one of the tops in baseball by picking up a ton of high quality prospects. Does it mean theyre going to struggle for another year or 2? Probably, but this is not a team I want to be facing 3/4 years from now

They traded a couple solid guys sure, but those guys weren't going to make them contenders, good but not stellar. They also unloaded Wilson who's incredibly overpaid and overrated. Pirates are finally moving in the right direction as opposed to aiming for 75-80 wins a season and not even getting there.

Panekkkk
    Panekkkk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 567

Milledge has done nothing to show that he is a stud. I do like that they are trying to rebuild but only time will tell if they made the right move.

brandon m
    brandon m's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

I haven't watched Nyjer Morgan alot but the dude is a baller. And he usually has a big fat dip in to and I like that about a player. I really don't see how a team could give this dude up for next to nothing.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Sid Bream, haha

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They must make money

twentyonekid
    twentyonekid's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think we have to give this new GM a chance to show what he is made of.what he is doing is exactly what he said he was going to do when he took control of the pirates.yes they have traded a lot of good players in the past but that was not him,i believe that in 2 to 3 years he will have us contending again.he has recieved some good prospects in the trades he made and yes i know all won't pan out but with all he has to work with i think he can build a solid team again in pittsburgh....i hope anyway

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Pirates still have a solid shot at the wildcard if they play hard and continue to win games

InTheHole
    InTheHole's Avatar Become A Pro!

horrible

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

most guys that the pirates traded would be gone in 3 months to 1 year and 3 months, and they can't sign anyone to long term contract extensions.... since the owner's are stingy as crap. the GM knows he has to blow up and rebuild since he was left with the worst minor league organization in the world...

no one focuses on the positive aspects of the any of the trades

getting prospects that can help a team for the next 6 years when trading a player that you have under contract and have LOST with for 3 more months is a pretty decent idea

how is the yankees/pirates trade working out for both teams?
    how has Nate Mclouth's numbers compared to Andrew McCutchen (who mclouth was blocking) and Garrett Jones???

how many top 30 BA prospects have the pirates added in the last 2 years?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Which Players that the Pirates have traded away in the past few years are performing the BEST out there?

many players that are making millions upon millions..... but very few that are performing above a mediocre level....

maybe the pirates brass/scouts had it perfectly timed.... and traded away over paid vets that are losers, for non arb-eligible non-tested players that can can lose just as well, for a few hundred thousand a year

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

everyone bitched and moaned about the trades the last few years....

but guys like

Nady, Bay,Nate McClouth, freddy sanchez, jack wilson, nyger morgan, Laroche, Oliver Perez, rajai Davis, Jesse Chavez, Ian Snell, Marte, Grabow, Gorzelanny ect.

Laroche and Gorzelanny are the only that are doing HALFWAY decent.....

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

If i'm the Pirates GM I'd be dangling a package deal of

Neil Walker, Jason Grilli, and Jeanmar Gomez out there ASAP, I'd even throw in Matt Hague and Jose Tabata too

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    If i'm the Pirates GM I'd be dangling a package deal of

Neil Walker, Jason Grilli, and Jeanmar Gomez out there ASAP, I'd even throw in Matt Hague and Jose Tabata too
    Walker should have been gone last year or the year before. guy has been so consistent though I'm not sure you would want to trade him at this point

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    Walker should have been gone last year or the year before. guy has been so consistent though I'm not sure you would want to trade him at this point

why do you say he should have been gone in 2012 or 2011 then?

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    why do you say he should have been gone in 2012 or 2011 then?
    what I meant was he was producing back then as well and if they wanted to trade him they could have gotten good value for him. Of course nothing wrong with keeping him on the team.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

wow this thread is a blast form the past

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

LOL

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Grilli stays

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

They will be mid-level buyers like last year IMO. They have to find a bat this year. Pitching is plenty good to compete and The Wandy trade last year was solid. Wouldn't mind seeing what the price is on Morneau. Doesn't have the pop he once had, but he's still a good RBI man. As long as it doesn't involve Taillon or Cole going in a deal, I'd be down for it.

Might look for one more SP that doesn't cost much too. McDonald blows. Think a solid 1-2 with Burnett and Wandy and Liriano could be a great #3 if he stays consistent. Locke & Gomez have been surprises, but seem like candidates to fade some in the 2nd half where having a back-up plan would be great. Bullpen is rock GD solid. Grilli, Wilson & Melancon (one of the most underrated moves made in the off-season).

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    They will be mid-level buyers like last year IMO. They have to find a bat this year. Pitching is plenty good to compete and The Wandy trade last year was solid. Wouldn't mind seeing what the price is on Morneau. Doesn't have the pop he once had, but he's still a good RBI man. As long as it doesn't involve Taillon or Cole going in a deal, I'd be down for it.

Might look for one more SP that doesn't cost much too. McDonald blows. Think a solid 1-2 with Burnett and Wandy and Liriano could be a great #3 if he stays consistent. Locke & Gomez have been surprises, but seem like candidates to fade some in the 2nd half where having a back-up plan would be great. Bullpen is rock GD solid. Grilli, Wilson & Melancon (one of the most underrated moves made in the off-season).
    you are right that they will be mid-level buyers for the third year in a row.

I wouldn't mind a SS

Locke and Gomez are gonna crash hard here.

McDonald just got crushed in AA I think Morton had a shitty rehab too. I don't think Cole is ready. I think Karstens had an injury set back.

not sure if there is another Wandy type guy out there that the Bucs could get, but it would be nice

12 Last