stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Mets offer David Wright longer deal than Evan Longoria received

he Mets offered star third baseman David Wright a contract extension of at least seven years, sources said Tuesday.
    Based on the market, the value of the proposal is believed to be worth somewhere in the range of $130 million.
    The proposed extension would keep Wright under team control through 2020. It would be added to the $16 million he's due in 2013, the final year of his original contract.

But Wright Tuesday night disputed news reports in a statement to the website Major League Baseball Trade Rumors.

"I have said from Day 1 that I want to play my entire career with theNew York Mets,'' Wright said. "I remain hopeful that goal can be achieved. However, I am disappointed by the reports that I have read today which are inaccurate.''

Throughout the process, both sides have revealed little about the nature of the talks, which have progressed more slowly than the Mets had hoped at the beginning of the offseason. But speculation about the negotiations swirled after reports emerged early Tuesday that the Mets offered Wright a six-year, $100 million deal.

"We don't anticipate a deal any time soon,'' Wright's agent, Seth Levinson, told MLBTR. "However, things can always change. I will not characterize the negotiations or comment on the accuracy or inaccuracy of what is being reported.''

The Mets made re-signing their homegrown star their top offseason priority. But without an extension, the Mets would surely lose their most popular player, either by trading him or allowing him to walk after 2013.

"Imagine the Atlanta Braves without Chipper Jones,'' said teammateR.A. Dickey, who is also in the middle of contract talks. "You just can't. I think they're going to reach an agreement.''

If there is no agreement, chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon has said he would prefer to have Wright play out his final season rather than trade him. But although the Mets have floated Dickey's name in early trade talks, they have yet to do the same with Wright. General manager Sandy Alderson said earlier this month that he hoped for more clarity on the situation as the winter meetings approached.

The Mets reportedly sent Wright a six-year, $100 million offer. Ryan Zimmerman of the Nationals signed a similar deal, as did the Rays' Evan Longoria, who agreed to his contract extension Monday. But sources said the most recent offer presented to Wright exceeded $100 million, making it more valuable than the contracts signed by Zimmerman and Longoria, each valued at $16.6 million per year.

Earlier in the offseason, a rival general manager expected that Wright could be in line to make as much as $20 million annually -- or nearly $140 million over the life of a seven-year extension. The executive based his estimates on another roughly comparable player, former Mets shortstop Jose Reyes.

"He's the same age as Reyes and he was also a teammate of his in New York,'' the rival GM said. "So I would imagine that his position will be that he should be compensated very similar to him in dollars and years.''

Reyes signed a six-year, $106 million deal worth $17.6 million annually to leave the Mets for the Marlins last winter. A similar deal for Wright over seven years would be worth a little more than $123 million. But even a slight raise over Reyes' deal would put Wright in line for an extension of about $130 million.

Behind a strong first half, Wright is coming off perhaps his most productive season since 2008, hitting .306 with 21 homers and 93 RBIs.

stevenash

Longo gets 6 years, 17 mil per on an extension
    Zimmy gets 6 years, 17 mil per on an extension as well.

Cash starved Mets dig deep and offer Wright 7 years at 18 mil per.

This is an amazing offer by the Mets (who I am not very fond of by the way) if Wright so much as says "I need a week to think it over", I'd trade his ass so fast his head would spin.

If Wright hems and haws over this offer, in this market, he needs to be committed.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

So basically the only thing I saw was..

Other dudes :

=====D

Wright:

========D

that pretty much all I saw..

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

IMO, no player should ever receive 9 digits on their contract...

I'm a firm believer that ALL players should have a base contract that are equal depending on the year on the league, and everything else should all be performance based, siging bonuses can be allowed but should also be capped depending on the length of the contract.. and of course the length of the contract should have a cap as well..

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

I'm fkn stunned they put out this money for him. If they are gonna do this they sure as hell better make him happy and BUILD AROUND HIM. he wants to WIN. he's sick of losing. the money doesn't mean much to him at this point. winning does.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

This is why the Mets are a terrible organization.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

actually Longoria's deal was 6 years added and guaranteeing 4 option years, so Longo is signed longer, though 2022 and is under team control through 2023 via a team option.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

not a wise contract

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    This is why the Mets are a terrible organization.
    what are they supposed to do though? let him walk? than they really have nobody to build around. at least now they have pieces with Dickey, Niese Wright and a healthy Santana coming back.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Zoo, if money doesn't matter to Wright, winning does, he shouldn't sign with the Mets. Wilpon is not going to spend to bring in big name free agents. Is Dickey going to be signed? No way to know if Santana will ever be a no.1 starter again. But like you said, Wright has the upper hand. He is the face of the franchise, and the fans would not be happy to see him go. Wright is not the player he was in 07/08, would be better for him to find a team where he doesn't have to be the main offensive threat.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

As a Mets fan theirs no option but to resign him. They let Beltran go, leht Reyes walk away in the summer if Wright doesn't stay either we got no stars and no reason to go watch the team play. Start of last season when mets started hot and wright was hot citi field was consistently filled up.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Wilpons are fuking crooks they said 2011 will be the year they finally start spending they got shit and somehow they are not in jail for Madoff scam

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    As a Mets fan theirs no option but to resign him. They let Beltran go, leht Reyes walk away in the summer if Wright doesn't stay either we got no stars and no reason to go watch the team play. Start of last season when mets started hot and wright was hot citi field was consistently filled up.

Mets are not in that bad shape. Sure they have plenty of holes to fill, but they do have pieces.

1B - Ike, 30 bomb potential
    2B - Murphy, sound, not Pedroia or Cano, next level down, but sound
    SS- Tejada, .280 hitter, OK enough
    3B - Wright, all star
    OF- Duda, Torres, Baxter - NEEDS UPGRADING
    C- Thole, Recker - NEEDS UPGRADING

SP - Good, border line excellent

Dickey
    Santana
    Niese
    Gee
    Harvey

RP - NEEDS UPGRADING
    Fransisco
    Parnell
    Acosta

HELP !

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

If Ike can be consistent he definitely has the star potential. Its a shame both Gee and Pelfrey went down last year. I still think we would've stayed in contention if both hadn't been injured.

zoo youk

Agents and executives agree that David Wright will take the Mets’ extension offer, Olney reports. It would be difficult to decline such a proposal, since there’s no guarantee he’d have similar long-term offers a year from now. MLBTR rounded up the latest on Wright earlier today. It appears the Mets have offered him $124MM for seven seasons starting in 2014.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#uhoePS2LCjfqD8ue.99

zoo youk

now that they seem to be spending and got rid of all those bad contracts, they better add pieces around him.

zoo youk

The Mets have made David Wright a nine-figure offer that would keep him in New York long term. Some of the details of the offer remained unclear earlier this week, prompting Wright to explain to MLBTR that he was frustrated by some published inaccuracies. However, he repeated his interest in staying with the organization long-term. "I have said from Day 1 that I want to play my entire career with the New York Mets. I remain hopeful that goal can be achieved,” Wright said. Here’s the latest on his contract talks with the Mets...

• The Mets believe they’ve made Wright their best offer, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports. The team offered Wright a seven-year extension that would begin after the 2013 season, Martino reports. The deal would include $124MM in new money and be worth $140MM including Wright’s 2013 salary of $16MM. Now the Mets are awaiting Wright’s response. Around baseball there’s an expectation that the sides will reach an agreement, Martino writes. The Mets’ offer is backloaded with a structure similar to the one Jose Reyes and the Marlins agreed to last winter, according to the Daily News.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#uhoePS2LCjfqD8ue.99

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Not a lot of premium 3basemen out there especially in NL, I guess teams are willing to over pay

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    Wilpons are fuking crooks they said 2011 will be the year they finally start spending they got shit and somehow they are not in jail for Madoff scam
    I hate the Wilpons more than anyone involved in sports. They've ruined the team.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Not a lot of premium 3basemen out there especially in NL, I guess teams are willing to over pay
    Did you see the contract BJ Upton just got? Of course teams are willing to overpay, they always are.

gryfyn1

7/125 would be a good deal for the Mets, Wright had been one of the best 3rd basemen in baseball of the last 5-7 years, with the incoming surge of TV money over the next 5-10 years and only 11m, already committed to the 2014 Payroll building around wright is good move. How any one with a modicum of honest baseball sense can think this is a bad deal is beyond me.

KingJD31

Mets and Wright agree 8 yr 138 mil

KingJD31

Yup
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    I hate the Wilpons more than anyone involved in sports. They've ruined the team.

zoo youk

9:58 am: Terry Collins toldAnthony DiComo of MLB.com he will ask David Wright to become the official team captain.

9:09 am: The Mets will not announce the deal today, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reports on Twitter, due to a physical and other minor issues remaining. Also, Wright is in Florida with teammates at Daniel Murphy’s weekend wedding, according to multiple reports.
    MetsBlog’s Matthew Cerrone says the team is likely to hold a formal press conference the week after next, when the front office is back from the MLB Winter Meetings.

3:02 am: In an on-air report at 3 am, Coleman said the deal will cover the next eight years and pay Wright $138 million. He will earn his $16 million next year, which was part of his previous contract, after which he will earn $122 million the following seven seasons.

zoo youk

now add some fkn pieces around him! go out and get Bourne!

this team was at its best when they had a 1-2 punch of Wright and Reyes.

Bourne can take over that Reyes roll in the lead off spot.
    Last edited by zoo youk; 11-30-12 at 09:53 AM.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

so stupid.

spend the money on pitching pitching pitching, like the oakland A's

mets would not win with cabrerra, longoria, and granderson with that bullpen

gryfyn1

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    so stupid.

spend the money on pitching pitching pitching, like the oakland A's

mets would not win with cabrerra, longoria, and granderson with that bullpen
    improving a Bullpen on the cheap is easy, finding and keeping an elite player at a premium position is not.