bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

I cant believe David Stern even suggested expansion as a possibility

The NBA has got 30 teams already...only about 6 of which that can even possibly make it to the championship game...only about 12 of which can even avoid being swept in a playoff series by the top 4...then you've got about 18 teams that are just there to get beat and fantasize about an 8 seed followed by a 4-0 1st rd exit

Expansion???? How bout some serious contraction where we get 16 teams that can actually compete with each other

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

agreed. fukking boring right now. golden state warriors? no chance. milwaukee? no chance. orlando magic???? etc. boring

football, baseball, hockey all teams have a chance

bettilimbroke999

Precisely....look you cant even call it a championship game when you've got 80% of the league that cant even possibly make it to the finals.

Take a look at the West and what their chances are of winning the Western Conference championship are in order to get into the NBA Finals:

Utah - 0 chance
    Portland - 0 chance
    Warriors - 0 chance
    Houston - 0 chance
    Dallas - 0 chance
    Suns - 0 chance
    Minnesota - 0 chance
    Sacramento - 0 chance
    New Orleans - 0 chance

You can hit a 9 team parlay right now just betting these teams not to win the Western Conference (if one of these teams even GET TO the Western Conf championship it would be one of the biggest surprises in sports history)

Then you've got
    Memphis - nearly 0 chance
    Clippers - nearly 0 chance
    Denver - nearly 0 chance

Then you've got the Western Conf winner:

Any of the other 12 teams in the Western Conf - 2% chance
    San Antonio - 10% chance
    OKC - 35% chance
    Lakers - 53% chance

Is this really even competition? And he talks about the possiblity of EXPANSION???

Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    The NBA has got 30 teams already...only about 6 of which that can even possibly make it to the championship game...only about 12 of which can even avoid being swept in a playoff series by the top 4...then you've got about 18 teams that are just there to get beat and fantasize about an 8 seed followed by a 4-0 1st rd exit

Expansion???? How bout some serious contraction where we get 16 teams that can actually compete with each other
    You are completely right. I think because only 5 guys are on the court for most of the game, it is much tougher to get any parity in the NBA. Maybe it should be set up like the soccer leagues in the UK.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Thanks for the 18 month notice, Stern. Two weeks would have sufficed.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stealthyburrito

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

As a Raptors fan I can positively say they will not make the playoffs this year. It is truly sad that another NBA season will pass without me feeling a glimmer of hope to even make the playoffs.

I honestly wouldn't care if Toronto merged with Detroit. At least I would have a reason to cheer for the Detroit Pistons.

bettilimbroke999

The Toronto Raptors have fans?

Why?

Are you a Bobcats fan too?

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by Popcorn Trick View Post
    Thanks for the 18 month notice, Stern. Two weeks would have sufficed.
    Stern was hired in Feb 1984 and announced in 1985 that he would be retiring Feb 2014 and that Adam Silver who was 10 at the time would be replacing him

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Lakers are old. They have the talent but they won't dominate a full season. Would not surprise me to see a team like Denver or Utah do well. Would say OKC is the top team in the West still.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Lakers are old. They have the talent but they won't dominate a full season. Would not surprise me to see a team like Denver or Utah do well. Would say OKC is the top team in the West still.
    not an nba expert at all, but nash was in and out of a lot of games last season with back spasms, dwight is fresh off of back surgery and will need a little time, and kobe might get re-injured.

clippers might cover some spreads at home, they look ok. i hesitate to even say that though because i am not good at nba betting.

CanuckG

Clippers too with a lot of depth.

bettilimbroke999

Clippers and Utah have absolutely zero chance of beating and of the top 3 teams in the West (SA, Lakers, OKC)

Clippers and Utah both met SA in the playoffs (the weakest of the big 3 West teams) and both got swept in 4 blowout games

The West has all their talent on SA, OKC, Lakers and the East has all their talent on the Heat and the northeast teams (NYK, Brooklyn and Detroit) I would add Chicago but unfortunately Rose doesnt ever actually play basketball he just does commercials in a Bulls uniform

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

More teams = more revenue

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    More teams = more revenue
    Maybe so, hell if these idiots like Michael Jordon will pay 100s of millions to own a Charlotte Bobcats I guess we might as well have a 50 team league with the bottom 40 just getting swept by the top 10

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

It's about money, not competitive balance.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    It's about money, not competitive balance.
    I believe more competitive balance would mean more money...the teams that cant win a game like the Bobcats are all losing money...only about 8 teams in the league make money and they are all the top teams of course...having some ability to compete makes a team interesting to watch

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow i thought they should be getting rid of teams not adding. David stern lol

bettilimbroke999

So did every basketball fan in the country...but apparently they have "too much" talent on teams like Charlotte, Cleveland, Toronto, etc right now and need to dilute some more

As bad as these bottom half teams are already these expansion teams would have to look like the WNBA

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Parity has not existed in the NBA for over 30 years. Business as usual.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Expansion would be a nightmare.

I'm looking forward to this season though, lots of teams with the capabilities of winning it all.

Miami is the favorite, but lots of teams right beneath them.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Expansion would be a nightmare.

I'm looking forward to this season though, lots of teams with the capabilities of winning it all.

Miami is the favorite, but lots of teams right beneath them.
    Yes SA, Lakers, OKC and Heat are all capable of winning...lots of teams

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    So did every basketball fan in the country...but apparently they have "too much" talent on teams like Charlotte, Cleveland, Toronto, etc right now and need to dilute some more

As bad as these bottom half teams are already these expansion teams would have to look like the WNBA
    don't know about charlotte but both toronto and cleveland sellout every night or have a good number of people attending

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Bring a team to Nashville, Stern!!!

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
    don't know about charlotte but both toronto and cleveland sellout every night or have a good number of people attending
    Amazing...born losers that live in Cleveland and Canada dont care about winning I guess.

Watching their team get beat 100-60 every night is a good time

Blazermaniac
    Blazermaniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1027

My two cents. Seattle doesn't DESERVE a team. There was no support for a new areana when the team was there. All them white collar thiefs sitting on their fat asss, misapproiating budgets, in the state assembly should be ashame of themselve. Sorry fcks now agreed to an areana. Where was this when the team was still there?????

Same thing to Sacramento. Give in to the Maloofs or risk loosing the team. You are better off in the long run with the team then no team at all. Just ask Seattle.

CanuckG

Quote Originally Posted by Blazermaniac View Post
    My two cents. Seattle doesn't DESERVE a team. There was no support for a new areana when the team was there. All them white collar thiefs sitting on their fat asss, misapproiating budgets, in the state assembly should be ashame of themselve. Sorry fcks now agreed to an areana. Where was this when the team was still there?????

Same thing to Sacramento. Give in to the Maloofs or risk loosing the team. You are better off in the long run with the team then no team at all. Just ask Seattle.
    You have the story backwards.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
    Not really. Cavs are in the bottom of the league in attendance. Raptors a little better but they don't sellout every game or even close.

CanuckG

Raptors do well when the Lakers or Heat are in town but other than that tons of empty seats. However, without the Maple Leafs their attendance will go up.

as99
    as99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2252

Fuk parity dominant teams is what makes a sport interesting. The matchups between 2 powerhouses. Not some battle between 2 mid-tier teams that nobody cares about. If you're a fan of a specific team that sucks then you want it.

Look at NHL what a joke, an 8th seed team wins the cup.

CanuckG

LA Kings had the most 1 goal losses could of easily been higher seeded. Cinderella teams make sports fun too.

as99
    as99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2252

Is it really a cinderella story when you face the 6th seed in the final.

Lets face it, in the NHL playoffs everyone knows everything in the regular season goes to sh*t. The grinding style of hockey, where one bounce changes a game. Literally beat the shit out of a better team and get by them. Hockey will never succeed in the USA.

In other sports like the NBA yeah a cinderella team is front page news, very compelling, in the NHL it doesn't even matter. Parity destroys this element.

CanuckG

Hockey has only succeeded in certain markets. Get rid of the teams in the South like Tampa, Florida and Dallas and ship them up north. Also Phoenix

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by as99 View Post
    Is it really a cinderella story when you face the 6th seed in the final.

Lets face it, in the NHL playoffs everyone knows everything in the regular season goes to sh*t. The grinding style of hockey, where one bounce changes a game. Literally beat the shit out of a better team and get by them. Hockey will never succeed in the USA.

In other sports like the NBA yeah a cinderella team is front page news, very compelling, in the NHL it doesn't even matter. Parity destroys this element.
    Hey if the Bobcats or whatever won the championship (hahahahaha yea right) that would be an unbelievable (literally) Cinderella story BUT thats not really what Im talkin about...Im talking about you've 18 teams out of 30 that couldnt win the championship even 1 out of 100...I guess they do have a lot of potential Cinderella stories...if they ever somehow win...but what kinda league is it when 60% of the teams cant avoid bein swept in the 1st rd if they ever make the playoffs

mbo4422
    mbo4422's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

I'm a huge basketball fan. I seriously could watch it all year long. But I've been saying for years the NBA needs to cut some teams and shorten the season. It would make for a better product over all. If i didn;t have to watch Kyle Korver or Landry Fields "try" to guard somebody ever again, I would be happy.

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Not really. Cavs are in the bottom of the league in attendance. Raptors a little better but they don't sellout every game or even close.
    well the raptors games i've been to have been packed

nevertheless, these teams do well in terms of making money and thats all that matters
    Last edited by SteelRain; 10-27-12 at 07:51 PM.

12 Last