MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    i'm apparently a few years older than you....i didnt see him play but i know enough about him to know that his legend grew in the years after his death...a lot of guys who were the best in their class in 11th grade didnt amount to shit....a few years later ronnie fields was projected to be the best player ever to come from chicago while he was in hs...howd he turn out?
    We aren't allowed to say that in this thread

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

Quote Originally Posted by rumnblack View Post
    Of course you're right, just that this wasn't the time or place, which makes you less authoritative that you'd like to think.
    People need to stop putting athletes on pedestals. Athletes are no more important than anyone else. That's why the country is so fukked up.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10323

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    I was like 7 years old when he got killed. It was one of my first realizations in life that this world is a dark, evil place. The name Ben Wilson represents that to me. His basketball is irrelevant. I never saw him play. It wasn't until a few years ago when I read what Nick Anderson and others said about him that I realized he was the #1 recruit in the nation. Did you see him play?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Spurious prepubescent emotion at best.

rumnblack
    rumnblack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    People need to stop putting athletes on pedestals. Athletes are no more important than anyone else. That's why the country is so fukked up.
    Athletes are more important, simply because they represent the hopes and aspirations of thousands of people who otherwise lead mudane and crap lives.

That doesn't mean they belong on a pedestal but to say they're not important is ridiculous.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

Quote Originally Posted by rumnblack View Post
    Athletes are more important, simply because they represent the hopes and aspirations of thousands of people who otherwise lead mudane and crap lives.

That doesn't mean they belong on a pedestal but to say they're not important is ridiculous.
    I disagree. Nobody is more important than anyone else just because they are good at basketball.

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

The world is ****** up because stuff like this happens, not because people like sports. Contrary to your thoughts, I think Ben's death serves as a reminder to the rest of us that this shit does go on. Yes, his life was no more important than anyone else's......we are all equal. But I don't know the names of everyone that gets killed senselessly. I know Ben's name, and I know that his story is all too familiar to people that live in the ghetto everywhere.

Albert Pujols

i'm apparently a few years older than you....i didnt see him play but i know enough about him to know that his legend grew in the years after his death...a lot of guys who were the best in their class in 11th grade didnt amount to shit....a few years later ronnie fields was projected to be the best player ever to come from chicago while he was in hs...howd he turn out?
    One of my best friends saw Fields play many times in person. We actually thought about seeing if someone would do a 30 for 30 on him. Had he not broken his neck in a car crash, he would have been a mainstream NBA player. 50 inch verticals......you can't teach those.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

The world is ****** up because stuff like this happens, not because people like sports. Contrary to your thoughts, I think Ben's death serves as a reminder to the rest of us that this shit does go on. Yes, his life was no more important than anyone else's......we are all equal. But I don't know the names of everyone that gets killed senselessly. I know Ben's name, and I know that his story is all too familiar to people that live in the ghetto everywhere.
    I agree with a lot of what u just said. That's makes me believe even more that u weren't comprehending what I was saying.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

I disagree. Nobody is more important than anyone else just because they are good at basketball.
    fyi people in inner cities in those days would absolutely disagree with you....guys who grow up with a shot in sports were generally left alone by the thugs, dealers, etc.....thats why wilson's death was so unusual

Albert Pujols

I agree with a lot of what u just said. That's makes me believe even more that u weren't comprehending what I was saying.
    We're on the same page then, for the most part. I just didn't appreciate how you came across. Seemed like you were saying "oh, well, kids get killed, move along. And he sucked, too."

I guess I misunderstood your tone.

Albert Pujols

fyi people in inner cities in those days would absolutely disagree with you....guys who grow up with a shot in sports were generally left alone by the thugs, dealers, etc.....thats why wilson's death was so unusual
    This really could have only happened in high school. He accidentally bumped a kid, and the kid was like "yo, you got a problem?" and capped him right there. So senseless and childish. An absolute shame.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

We're on the same page then, for the most part. I just didn't appreciate how you came across. Seemed like you were saying "oh, well, kids get killed, move along. And he sucked, too."

I guess I misunderstood your tone.
    Yeah, the move along thing is the opposite of what I was trying to say. I lived outside Detroit for a while so I saw a lot of violent youth shit. I wasn't saying he sucked either. I'm just saying that a lot happens between 17 and 28. OJ Mayo played in Middle school ball about a mile from my house. There was an article in Sports Illustrated about him when he was still in middle school talking about how great he would be. It didn't pan out that way and hardly ever does. Lebron James is about the only one who has lived up to the hype. Kobe as well

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

A person that is the #1 basketball recruit in the country IS more important than other people. To say otherwise is just delusional, wishy washy hippy bullshit.

In this specific case, he was loved by thousands in his inner city. Was obviously already adored by Illinois fans and alums (hundreds of thousands). But yeah.....his life is equally as important as Joe Blow with two kids and a dog from nutsack Tennessee....

gimme a break

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    A person that is the #1 basketball recruit in the country IS more important than other people. To say otherwise is just delusional, wishy washy hippy bullshit.

In this specific case, he was loved by thousands in his inner city. Was obviously already adored by Illinois fans and alums (hundreds of thousands). But yeah.....his life is equally as important as Joe Blow with two kids and a dog from nutsack Tennessee....

gimme a break
    I really don't think his life was any more important. Wow he was a good basketball player. How awesome.

pulledclear
    pulledclear's Avatar Become A Pro!

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Typical SBR thread these days.

Good intentions bogged down by trolling, racism and sheer stupidity.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Just finished watching it. It was one of the better one's and I thought it was damn good. I was born in 66, he was a few years younger than me.

I could have done without that asswipe Jesse Jackson however.

pulledclear
    pulledclear's Avatar Become A Pro!

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

haha i love it...fukkin kid who starts the thread is trying to be a big cool guy and gets fukkin buried....hahaha hey thread starter take this shit back to the rx or take it to the fukkin saloon...get the fukk out of here the next jordan...tell wilhelm we said hi

Albert Pujols

Quote Originally Posted by romecloneout View Post
    haha i love it...fukkin kid who starts the thread is trying to be a big cool guy and gets fukkin buried....hahaha hey thread starter take this shit back to the rx or take it to the fukkin saloon...get the fukk out of here the next jordan...tell wilhelm we said hi
    What are you talking about?

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

What are you talking about?
    He just tossed MUHerds salad so he's in a good mood.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Finally got a chance to see this last night. Good piece. Had no idea the kid had climbed to No. 1 in the nation. Was he leaning Illinois? I would think so given how buddy-buddy he was with Nick Anderson.

Interesting angle on interviewing the guy who shot him. I didn't see that coming. That really brought the show all together and made it complete.

What happened to Ben Wilson's son? He'd be like 28 now.

*Edit: missed the end note that he played for Maryland Eastern Shore.
    Last edited by No coincidences; 11-02-12 at 02:26 PM.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    I could have done without that asswipe Jesse Jackson however.
    Agree. Leave it to this glory hound to turn it into a three-ring circus. Surprised Ben's mom fell for his bullshit.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Very well done by Espn!

First 12