mehoolio
    mehoolio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

55% winning percentage feasible for a primary income?

If one was to win at 55%, over 1000 bets and a -110 line, they would make make $5500 if they bet $100 per play.
    Making 10 plays per day would mean reaching 1000 bets would take more than 3 months, so at $100 per play, one would make about $20000 per year. Obviously decent side income but not enough to cut into some sort of full time work.

If one bet $500 per play they could make $100,000 per year which may or may not be enough as a primary income depending on your situation.
    I am also not sure if the books will allow someone to win 100,000 per year before limiting their bets, anyone know about this?
    Thank you for the response.
    My goal is to add about $50,000 supplemental income to my primary income, which would mean I need to bet $250 per play and make 10 plays per day for the whole year and hit 55% average.

YourAllAmerican
    YourAllAmerican's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 907

Quote Originally Posted by mehoolio View Post
    I need to bet $250 per play and make 10 plays per day for the whole year and hit 55% average.
    Well, there you go. As simple as that.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Mistaken post.

Joe.
    Last edited by u21c3f6; 01-20-13 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Mistaken

mehoolio

Quote Originally Posted by YourAllAmerican View Post
    Well, there you go. As simple as that.
    I meant is it feasible for a primary income, ie at least 100k (meaning you bet 500 per play and make 10 plays per day for the whole year) or will the books not allow it by limiting your bets before that happens?

Thanks

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

If you are in the US, online, ehh, you might get limited. If you want to make a job out of it, go to Vegas, and you won't even catch a glance betting $5,000 a day. Pinny is probably the same as Vegas. Is this something you are considering, cause very few people actually hit 55% over an extended period of time. If it was easy everyone would do it.

mehoolio

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    If you are in the US, online, ehh, you might get limited. If you want to make a job out of it, go to Vegas, and you won't even catch a glance betting $5,000 a day. Pinny is probably the same as Vegas. Is this something you are considering, cause very few people actually hit 55% over an extended period of time. If it was easy everyone would do it.
    Well I would first like to make it a side income. I am definitely not prepared to quit my current job where I am making almost 200k per year to go to Vegas and do this full time. If I had a lot of success, I would love to make this full time but the instability would require I'd have to make much more than 200k for me to take the risk so I don't think it's ever going to happen. However, if I can make a good change on the side, that would be great. I did see that for mlb 55% is not something that happens really and since 53% is just above water from breaking even at a -110 line, I don't even think I would be betting between end of basketball and start of football. Would you agree that MLB is too tough? So far in bball I have made about 20k this season but almost all on moneylines. It may just end up I continue this and aim to achieve 20-30k per year all during bball season.

YourAllAmerican
    YourAllAmerican's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 907

I meant is it feasible for a primary income, ie at least 100k (meaning you bet 500 per play and make 10 plays per day for the whole year) or will the books not allow it by limiting your bets before that happens?
    The "is it feasible" part you probably ought to truly be questioning is the hitting 55 percent over the course of a year with heavy betting. That's the far less likely part. If you try it, I wouldn't expect the books to limit any plays.

tto827

Baseball is all about units, and not record when betting. Sharps/people who it for a living I believe have more success on college sports, MLB, and NHL than anything else. So yes, there is money to be made in baseball, if you can figure out what you're doing, which is easier said then done obviously.

mehoolio

Baseball is all about units, and not record when betting. Sharps/people who it for a living I believe have more success on college sports, MLB, and NHL than anything else. So yes, there is money to be made in baseball, if you can figure out what you're doing, which is easier said then done obviously.
    Thanks guys. If 55% is so hard to achieve, which it does seem that not many people do it over a full season of bets, why do people bet on ats/totals?

Also, I need to read up on betting on baseball. Would be great to be able to do that, it is my fav sport.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

This is why you need reduced juice. 55% at -110 has the same RoI as 53.8% at -105, and the latter is humungously easier to achieve. With football (soccer) even better, you have -102 on most big markets, so only need 53% for the same RoI.
    Last edited by HeeeHAWWWW; 01-21-13 at 06:22 AM.

tto827

Thanks guys. If 55% is so hard to achieve, which it does seem that not many people do it over a full season of bets, why do people bet on ats/totals?

Also, I need to read up on betting on baseball. Would be great to be able to do that, it is my fav sport.
    Because getting the same ROI is equally as hard betting the ML. The vast majority of people will lose money, they think it'll turn around sometime, but for 99% of us, it won't.

hutennis
    hutennis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3253

Good question. The answer is in a human psychology.
    People, in general, are very overconfident and tend to drastically over estimate their abilities.

In one, now famous, study, 85% of participants considered themselves better than average drivers.
    We are not too smart, you know.

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

If one was to win at 55%, over 1000 bets and a -110 line, they would make make $5500 if they bet $100 per play.
    Making 10 plays per day would mean reaching 1000 bets would take more than 3 months, so at $100 per play, one would make about $20000 per year. Obviously decent side income but not enough to cut into some sort of full time work.

If one bet $500 per play they could make $100,000 per year which may or may not be enough as a primary income depending on your situation.
    I am also not sure if the books will allow someone to win 100,000 per year before limiting their bets, anyone know about this?
    My goal is to add about $50,000 supplemental income to my primary income, which would mean I need to bet $250 per play and make 10 plays per day for the whole year and hit 55% average.
    One of the better posts in term of a realistic and relevant question that I've seen. My answer is that it is possible to do this, but two things would be necessary up front......A large bankroll and the fortitude that it takes to go through the tough times (variance). It can be done, but I do have to say that it is getting more difficult. Lines are getting better (smaller markets), and when there is a soft #'s , it's corrected much more quickly than the old days.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3328

basically, if you accept the fact that you will get limited eventually, make your wagers like you normally would and when you get limited, move on to someplace else. sure it's inconvenient, but what other option do you have?

mehoolio

Quote Originally Posted by flocko76 View Post
    basically, if you accept the fact that you will get limited eventually, make your wagers like you normally would and when you get limited, move on to someplace else. sure it's inconvenient, but what other option do you have?
    Yea, true there are a lot of books so you can either move around or use multiple books and win $25k per book per year.
    However, the tougher part definitely does seem to be hitting 55% for a year. I've had good success with moneylines so far. I have been tracking my ats and I am 11-7 so far the past few days betting $100 per play. I guess I can try it for a year and see if I can hit 55%.

Mens et Manus
    Mens et Manus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't speak for Americans, but I am Canadian and have been doing well the past few years. One big advantage for me is I get reduced juice lines from Pinnacle. 2.3% - 5% per line in savings really adds up. I only bet MLB and NHL money lines. I don't play NBA or NFL. I find NBA hard to cap because honestly, some of those guys just don't give $hit. They dog it and play when they feel like it. NHL players, and MLB, will play as best they can even if they are down 5-0. NHL players have pride. NBA players for the most part are selfish and rarely work consistently.

Another thing is it all depends on your living expenses and standard of life. If you are 23, with no family or mortgage, then sure, you can live off of $25,000 a year. Especially if it is tax free. However, when you get older, and you want to buy a house, and raise a family, your going to need at least 50-75K + your spouses income, or about 75k + if it's just you bringing home the bacon.

Other complications the arise when you actually are a long term winner is that you will have to explain to the tax man how you make the money. In Canada, your vehicle is cross referenced with your income on your taxes, as well as your property taxes. So if you say you only make 40K a year, and you are living in a 500K house and drive a BMW, expect an audit.

Right now, sports winnings are not taxed in Canada as it is a grey area still. I have never been audited because I have been careful not to raise any flags (big transfers, wires, big cash purchases, etc...)

It can be done, but it takes a lot of mental discipline. Capping is easy, it's managing the money and your emotions that is tough.

sportsbetwin
    sportsbetwin's Avatar Become A Pro!

You need a winning strategy and bankroll discipline. Without both you are doomed.

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

Meho,

You obviously know VERY little about betting sports if you are not aware of the way baseball is bet via money lines not point spreads. Betting ten games a day, 250 a game, 55% win rate etc etc your model is so simplistic and flawed it is frightening. If you really make 200k in your professional life you are obviously very good at what you do in life. I absolutely guarantee that your time would be better spent working in your profession then attempting to supplement your income at 250 dollars per game 10 games a day. Guys that do this for a living spent years learning and watching and picking up angles, trends, deciphering stats which sometimes can be very misleading, and so many other nuances that just jumping right in would be extremely difficult.

Why dont you post ten games a day here in SBR for lets say 14 days, make a single thread and post games with current lines when you bet them. See if in 14 days you can win even 53% never mind 55%. 140 games is a small sample but it certainly would be a start.

Whatever you decide good luck

James D

Quote Originally Posted by Mens et Manus View Post
    I can't speak for Americans, but I am Canadian and have been doing well the past few years. One big advantage for me is I get reduced juice lines from Pinnacle. 2.3% - 5% per line in savings really adds up. I only bet MLB and NHL money lines. I don't play NBA or NFL. I find NBA hard to cap because honestly, some of those guys just don't give $hit. They dog it and play when they feel like it. NHL players, and MLB, will play as best they can even if they are down 5-0. NHL players have pride. NBA players for the most part are selfish and rarely work consistently.

Another thing is it all depends on your living expenses and standard of life. If you are 23, with no family or mortgage, then sure, you can live off of $25,000 a year. Especially if it is tax free. However, when you get older, and you want to buy a house, and raise a family, your going to need at least 50-75K + your spouses income, or about 75k + if it's just you bringing home the bacon.

Other complications the arise when you actually are a long term winner is that you will have to explain to the tax man how you make the money. In Canada, your vehicle is cross referenced with your income on your taxes, as well as your property taxes. So if you say you only make 40K a year, and you are living in a 500K house and drive a BMW, expect an audit.

Right now, sports winnings are not taxed in Canada as it is a grey area still. I have never been audited because I have been careful not to raise any flags (big transfers, wires, big cash purchases, etc...)

It can be done, but it takes a lot of mental discipline. Capping is easy, it's managing the money and your emotions that is tough.

I agree with everything except "the capping is easy part", Capping is not easy. May I ask how long have you been betting/handicapping?

339955's Avatar Become A Pro!

most people can hit 55% of the time they problem is they let fear get in the way of killer instincts

Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

...sigh

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by 339955 View Post
    most people can hit 55% of the time they problem is they let fear get in the way of killer instincts
    Nope. Most people can't hit 55%. They think they can, because once in a blue moon they have 55% over a meaninglessly small sample.

flsaders85
    flsaders85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5253

I used to like this forum

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

reduced juice.

and with a BR of over $20K, which i can only assume you are smart enough to not put more than 1-2% of your BR on any one play, why risk 10-20% daily? i don't have a problem getting that much into action cause it is a numbers game, but when you only have 10 plays and negative variance hits, you will be real broke, real quick.

and since we all know to only gamble with what we can afford to lose, there has got to be better ways for you to make money off of $20K+ than sides and totals. derivatives, props and whatnot

GL

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

welcome to the billionaire's club with your 55%

James D

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    Nope. Most people can't hit 55%. They think they can, because once in a blue moon they have 55% over a meaninglessly small sample.
    Exactly. They forget the similar sample they hit 40%

king_danilo92
    king_danilo92's Avatar Become A Pro!

dude just get out, keep dreamin

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3496

Most likely your gambling will eat away at your primary income rather than be a source of supplemental income. IMO this is a very tough game to beat long term. The longer you stay in the game the more likely the House will take you for a ride. GL.

nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Name:  8_Alpengeist.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  69.1 KB
    Can you handle this? 53-54% is not easy. 55% is good. anything better and you better save some for the next week when you hit 25%.. enjoy the ride.. it could be fun..but it is a grind..

mehoolio

I've asked 5dimes if they would ever limit someone for winning too much and they said they would not (at least the customer rep I spoke to said he has seen people win over 50k in a year and not be limited)

tto827

I've asked 5dimes if they would ever limit someone for winning too much and they said they would not (at least the customer rep I spoke to said he has seen people win over 50k in a year and not be limited)
    It's not how much you win, its what you bet. Some places have limited people who barely break even.

EVPlus
    EVPlus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

10 plays a day, on average, is an insame amount IMO.

Most people will NOT hit 55% long term.

Can someone make a good living wagering on sports? Of course. However, most will not succeed.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Handicapping, hitting %55+ etc so overrated in sports betting world. This is not the whole thing. You won't make any profit if you don't have patience, discipline and money management.

Win rate, making good prediction is like hitting the ball strong, hard. But without control, it's meaningless.

Kolotoure
    Kolotoure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 654

It's not how much you win, its what you bet. Some places have limited people who barely break even.
    This. I have been down on a few books and they have banned me without me doing anything shady

mehoolio

Quote Originally Posted by Kolotoure View Post
    This. I have been down on a few books and they have banned me without me doing anything shady
    can you give me an example? What type of sports bets do the books not like?

12 Last