BetaB
    BetaB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2514

Stock market or Gambling

Here is some background, i has been pretty successful betting as you can see in my spreadsheet + follow Roxy WNBA since the beginning of the season, made a mistake in Increase my unit half way through( but i'm still up 60 units or so).

Anyway, as you can see I've hardly bet any Football or Baseball (Tennis and Roxy WNBA whic is coming to an end) so i'm looking at other alternative investment and taken interest in the Stock market. So,i won't have much time capping game anymore as i start studying stock trade. My question is would it be wise to put all my money on Democrat to win and resume betting once NBA is starting up again (probably gonna skip the 1st month anyway).

Any advice is appreciated.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Stock Market only for sharps and guys will tons of cash

Small timers lose it all

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Always bet on Black
    Points Awarded:

19th Hole gave Sam Odom 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ODDmaster gave Sam Odom 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ericthegangster

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Lose it all? So rookies in the market invest in apple google etc they are doing great by being a square (Facebook you are right) squares in gambling they bet on cowboys at Seattle and lose it all
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Stock Market only for sharps and guys will tons of cash

Small timers lose it all

BetaB

Stock market seem very similar to Betting Exchange. May be i just need a break. Feeling tried as i try to update my Spreadsheet (Not even bother update past this week), I know my ROI(exclude ROXY play) is about 0.75%-1% for the past 3 years largely because when i'm having a great run and have a lot of money i would try to expand my bet range to other sport like Hockey,Football or College Basketball (mostly tailing someone) and lose most of my hard earn money. So, in a way i wanna stopping myself from repeating it again.

Besides that, Can Obama really lose?? I'm lucky enough to throw some cash when he was -190.

I'm just not good focusing on 2 things at the same time.
    Last edited by BetaB; 09-23-12 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Add detail

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

When I started investing (30 years ago) the stock markets were a good long term way of getting rich, but with large brokerage firm computer generated trading that accounts for 75% of the daily volume, its tough for the small guy to trade. IMO, I would even think about trying to be a trader without a minimum of a 250k in a margin account.

later

"Politics is like the stock market, its bad business for those who cant afford to lose."
    Points Awarded:

BetaB gave capitalist pig 4 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BetaB

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist pig View Post
    When I started investing (30 years ago) the stock markets were a good long term way of getting rich, but with large brokerage firm computer generated trading that accounts for 75% of the daily volume, its tough for the small guy to trade. IMO, I would even think about trying to be a trader without a minimum of a 250k in a margin account.

later

"Politics is like the stock market, its bad business for those who cant afford to lose."
    From what i understand getting 10% increase yearly is a considerable achievement, is that true?

probettor1
    probettor1's Avatar Become A Pro!

stock market vs gambling?
    warren buffet (50 billions plus money donated) vs billy walter (100 millions).
    Do the math.
    Billy Walter had a team of people visiting most campus and towns to check info and stats about teams, before the internet era, getting info not available to the oddsmakers or public.

But JJgold is right, if you have 200 buck, gambling or beer are a better choice.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11660

Pull up a chair, here is how I trade. I'm including a horsetrack analogy.

First, I trust "technical" stock analysis (cold, calculating) more than I do "fundamental" (warm, idea driven) analysis... but both have value.

The difference between the two schools is this:

"TECHNICAL" analysis is to value a stock by how it's trading ... (like judging a horse race by how the odds fluctuate from the betting crowd. If you think a horse has a 50/50 shot at winning but the crowd thinks otherwise and it's at 4-1, you make the bet. If the crowd has it at even odds or less, you don't make the bet.) ... to keep a long story short, technical analysis values people putting their money where their mouth is.

"FUNDAMENTAL" analysis brings more story into the equation - Wall Street analysts judge include a great deal of what a company says about itself in assessing its stock. I believe that a company will ALWAYS fudge the story to make itself seem as attractive as possible - there is, in fact, tons of b.s. to sift through, it's part of the game. (I liken this to judging a horse race by the morning line. LOL.)

One way (besides word of mouth) to find names of stocks to follow is to monitor Wall Street analyst upgrades - (upgrades/downgrades are freely available: Yahoo Finance / CNBC / thestreet.com / bloomberg.com etc. all have this)

I also have a friend whose company is a customer of Lazard (http://lazardcap.com/) - he sends me their institutional research, so I'm biased towards that company's research.

THUS, I use fundamental analysis prospect names to trade. I see what stocks are being praised and which ones are being trashed.

But I need much more than this, so I cross-reference stocks I'm interested in with an equity ranking service. For only $40 a month, I can't imagine trading without it.

On it I create my watch lists of stocks, and then get all alerts for the system's buy/sell/neutral signals - and some other helpful, yet standard, services.

But what I rave about are the short-squeeze lists - stocks populate the list every day before the open, the technical analysts identify stocks that are a) behaving solidly and b) have heavy short interest.

The idea is that as the stock trades higher, people who are short will cover their positions (to avoid loss) and drive the price higher.

I find what I deem the "best ofs" on that list (say 3 or 4) and circle back and add all to the monitoring and cross-reference again its sector ... and if the sector is well positioned technically, I'll buy the stock and set my own exit level. The accuracy of the short-squeezers is amazing, particularly when you develop an eye on which names to throw out (usually stocks that are traded too lightly or have a "one-time" incident throwing off their trading patterns)

*** And here's something important about stocks, I believe the secret to making money is an open secret and J.P. Morgan himself is the one who told it. Someone asked him what was the secret to his success and he answered: "I always sold too early" - meaning he was quick to realize a profit and never sat around waiting for his positions to go to the moon.

SO I constantly maintain the discipline out of getting out of a stock, even when I feel like a champ and think it's going higher. Realize the profit and move on! If you fall in love with your stocks you're toast.

It would be like betting the same team every week no matter what.
    Last edited by ByeShea; 09-23-12 at 05:02 PM.
    Points Awarded:

BetaB gave ByeShea 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

anybody have any trading forums they use?

ODDmaster
    @In God We Trust
    ODDmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Stock market < Sport Betting

ain't no lie

ToPHeR
    ToPHeR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1917

Quote Originally Posted by probettor1 View Post
    stock market vs gambling?
    warren buffet (50 billions plus money donated) vs billy walter (100 millions).
    Do the math.
    Billy Walter had a team of people visiting most campus and towns to check info and stats about teams, before the internet era, getting info not available to the oddsmakers or public.

But JJgold is right, if you have 200 buck, gambling or beer are a better choice.
    Warren Buffet can go penetrate himself

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Pull up a chair, here is how I trade. I'm including a horsetrack analogy.

First, I trust "technical" stock analysis (cold, calculating) more than I do "fundamental" (warm, idea driven) analysis... but both have value.

The difference between the two schools is this:

"TECHNICAL" analysis is to value a stock by how it's trading ... (like judging a horse race by how the odds fluctuate from the betting crowd. If you think a horse has a 50/50 shot at winning but the crowd thinks otherwise and it's at 4-1, you make the bet. If the crowd has it at even odds or less, you don't make the bet.) ... to keep a long story short, technical analysis values people putting their money where their mouth is.

"FUNDAMENTAL" analysis brings more story into the equation - Wall Street analysts judge include a great deal of what a company says about itself in assessing its stock. I believe that a company will ALWAYS fudge the story to make itself seem as attractive as possible - there is, in fact, tons of b.s. to sift through, it's part of the game. (I liken this to judging a horse race by the morning line. LOL.)

One way (besides word of mouth) to find names of stocks to follow is to monitor Wall Street analyst upgrades - (upgrades/downgrades are freely available: Yahoo Finance / CNBC / thestreet.com / bloomberg.com etc. all have this)

I also have a friend whose company is a customer of Lazard (http://lazardcap.com/) - he sends me their institutional research, so I'm biased towards that company's research.

THUS, I use fundamental analysis prospect names to trade. I see what stocks are being praised and which ones are being trashed.

But I need much more than this, so I cross-reference stocks I'm interested in with an equity ranking service.

On it I create my watch lists of stocks, and then get all alerts for the system's buy/sell/neutral signals - and some other helpful, yet standard, services.

But what I rave about are the short-squeeze lists - stocks populate the list every day before the open, the technical analysts identify stocks that are a) behaving solidly and b) have heavy short interest.

The idea is that as the stock trades higher, people who are short will cover their positions (to avoid loss) and drive the price higher.

I find what I deem the "best ofs" on that list (say 3 or 4) and circle back and add all to the monitoring and cross-reference again its sector ... and if the sector is well positioned technically, I'll buy the stock and set my own exit level.

*** And here's something important about stocks, I believe the secret to making money is an open secret and J.P. Morgan himself is the one who told it. Someone asked him what was the secret to his success and he answered: "I always sold too early" - meaning he was quick to realize a profit and never sat around waiting for his positions to go to the moon.

SO I constantly maintain the discipline out of getting out of a stock, even when I feel like a champ and think it's going higher. Realize the profit and move on! If you fall in love with your stocks you're toast.

It would be like betting the same team every week no matter what

There is some good sh*t in here advice wise but the part I boldened is the best. Always have a target number that is realistic that you want the stock price that you purchased to meet. Once you hit that sell or cover and move on. There will always be more opportunity down the way.

Also remember, fundamental analysis is used more for the investor.....technical analysis is used more for the trader.

Remember: Bulls make money....bears make money....PIGS get slaughtered.
    Points Awarded:

BetaB gave NYSportsGuy210 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

baskets

any of you fukks have a trading forum....??

yes or no?

probettor1

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post

yes or no?
    We all have but dont want you there. Having you here is enough shiit already.

baskets

pb, u aint got shit

probettor1

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post

yes or no?
    baskets do this: google sports beting forum and guess what the first thing to pop out is sbr forum.
    Now do the same with stock market forum.

There is a second step, go to alexa and check the traffic, the best site are generally the ones with better traffic. Covers has more traffic that sbr forum but the rating of cover is 3 stars and sbr forum 4 stars. Cover ( rank 1600 in usa) while sbr forum 5000. It means that there are 5000 companies with more traffic than sbr in usa.

ByeShea

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Remember: Bulls make money....bears make money....PIGS get slaughtered.
    The markets are dark right now, seriously dark.

In 2009 & 2010 transports acted identically - collapsing beneath support, rallying above support, then collapsing again to bring the rest of the market with it for 20% corrections. In 2011, transports ("trannies") did the same thing, but less intensely, and then a 10% correction followed.

I watch transports because it's a sign of health, moving the goods and services. No faking that.

Now, I shorted Conway trucking back in July (CNW) because its technicals were weak and my service issued a "sell" on it. About three days later the stock dropped and I closed out my position for probably the easiest trade of the year.

Shortly thereafter I was issued a 'N' call (cover shorts, sell longs) and then a little while later another Short signal. So I went short above $30. I shorted more today so now I am short 600 shares avg $28.91

Here is why I added (and might still add more) to the short:

• the trannies fell below the S&P a few days ago and have not bounced back. People do the same things over and over - you just have to correctly spot where. I think the general market is poised to sell off pretty hard. And CNW should belly flop with it, once I see the correction begin, I'll start picking my spots to close the position. Don't have a hard target yet, but I could see it falling beneath $20 in October (also traditionally the month of reckoning ... lot of negative factors at play here)

• Transportation stocks are "aggressive" (vs. "defensive" stocks, like the pharma index symb: XHP) and after the latest Quantitative Easing, which should migrate the flow of money from defensive stocks to aggressive - there was not a f*cking budge. Talk about zero confidence, I find this amazing.

• Quantitative easing in China has been a total fail; Chinese steel/iron, heavy industry is in the sh*tter, Europe is joke ... I think after a few more days of end of quarter trading we're gonna see some serious market damage. All the signs, including higher food prices, predictions of a colder winter (drives the price of oil up - along with mid-east madness, sure to keep oil over $100) we're looking at some ugly, ugly markets.

Call it the indian summer of the market. I think I could short another 100 or 200 CNW, but that's about it.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    The markets are dark right now, seriously dark.

In 2009 & 2010 transports acted identically - collapsing beneath support, rallying above support, then collapsing again to bring the rest of the market with it for 20% corrections. In 2011, transports ("trannies") did the same thing, but less intensely, and then a 10% correction followed.

I watch transports because it's a sign of health, moving the goods and services. No faking that.

Now, I shorted Conway trucking back in July (CNW) because its technicals were weak and my service issued a "sell" on it. About three days later the stock dropped and I closed out my position for probably the easiest trade of the year.

Shortly thereafter I was issued a 'N' call (cover shorts, sell longs) and then a little while later another Short signal. So I went short above $30. I shorted more today so now I am short 600 shares avg $28.91

Here is why I added (and might still add more) to the short:

• the trannies fell below the S&P a few days ago and have not bounced back. People do the same things over and over - you just have to correctly spot where. I think the general market is poised to sell off pretty hard. And CNW should belly flop with it, once I see the correction begin, I'll start picking my spots to close the position. Don't have a hard target yet, but I could see it falling beneath $20 in October (also traditionally the month of reckoning ... lot of negative factors at play here)

• Transportation stocks are "aggressive" (vs. "defensive" stocks, like the pharma index symb: XHP) and after the latest Quantitative Easing, which should migrate the flow of money from defensive stocks to aggressive - there was not a f*cking budge. Talk about zero confidence, I find this amazing.

• Quantitative easing in China has been a total fail; Chinese steel/iron, heavy industry is in the sh*tter, Europe is joke ... I think after a few more days of end of quarter trading we're gonna see some serious market damage. All the signs, including higher food prices, predictions of a colder winter (drives the price of oil up - along with mid-east madness, sure to keep oil over $100) we're looking at some ugly, ugly markets.

Call it the indian summer of the market. I think I could short another 100 or 200 CNW, but that's about it.

Nobody plays transportation stocks dude. Not sure why you would even post this. Stock market has been the healthiest and bullest this year since 2000.

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

It completely depends on what you are good at. If you are a total square than put your money into blue chip shares. Otherwise look at what your realistic earning potential is in each and invest accordingly.

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1016

Sports betting baby thats were the BIG BUCKS are penetrate the stocks youll be lucky to gain 10% on your investment.Sportsbettign potental is %10000

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Fail. Completely and utterly

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Nobody transportation stocks dude. Not sure why you would even post this. Stock market has been the healthiest and bullest this year since 2000.
    Fail. Completely and utterly

ByeShea

Nobody plays transportation stocks dude. Not sure why you would even post this. Stock market has been the healthiest and bullest this year since 2000.
    Transportation stocks are a macro indicator - I explained how fpr 3 years straight when transportations fail the market has followed.

Well trannies are failing, they look ill compared to the S&P right now. If QE3 couldn't boost aggressive stocks just wait a few more days until the end of the quarter and then BOOM - wipeout. I expect to cover by 2nd week of October.

I posted this just because it's what I'm doing right now. Thought someone might find it interesting.

ByeShea

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    It completely depends on what you are good at. If you are a total square than put your money into blue chip shares. Otherwise look at what your realistic earning potential is in each and invest accordingly.
    True that. I don't like day trading because I'm not suited for it. It's as intense as a casino (for me) and when I've tried it I can never stick to my plans, which probably stink to begin with. When I'm not pissing the money away, I'm pissed off that I missed the big move - always happens day trading. Misery.

I like the "swing" trade, get in a name usually 1-5 weeks tops 2 months and with a clear exit strategy (can follow a plan probably 2/3 times).