Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

HEritage Allows you to hedge your parlay, w/ a dry account?

That's pretty nice, do most books have this option?

I'd imagine not...

Meaning you hit 6/7 legs of your parlay and the account is at $0, they will put the funds up to hedge!

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Because hedging is -ev...

Of course they'll pick up the tab

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

The point isn't about hedging,

Im just curious do most books have this option, cuz I haven't seen it...

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

If you are sitting on a big future or big parlay a lot of bookmakers will work with ya a little. You wont have much luck if you are trying to secure a $300 profit.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    If you are sitting on a big future or big parlay a lot of bookmakers will work with ya a little. You wont have much luck if you are trying to secure a $300 profit.
    Ok, Thanks

alta
    alta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10359

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    That's pretty nice, do most books have this option?

I'd imagine not...

Meaning you hit 6/7 legs of your parlay and the account is at $0, they will put the funds up to hedge!

No other books do that to my knowledge.
    Heritage lets you take the opposite side or total at the exact same number you got in the parlay.
    Beware they don't let you hedge if the parlay was placed with Free Play money.
    My only gripe with them cause I asked when I first opened account and they told me no restrictions on Hedge plays.
    So when I went to hedge my 1st free play parlay, they say no can do. Sure enough last part of parlay tanked.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Are you serious??? I've lost plenty of 10, 12, 14 team parlays with payouts between 12k and 89k....and missed them all by one. If I woulda known that I would have been pleading with them

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I don't know of other books that have a built-in feature to allow it

there was a big thread here a few days ago about a guy who misunderstood how this worked.

rangerz2478
    rangerz2478's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12330

Really? 5Dimes or betonline would consider allowing you to buyout of a big future?

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Yea, youre bettering their position by doing that. In most cases for the player its a losing proposition to do that especially at the same book. Math wise youre often better off holding your position...same thing for people who buy out of their bets at halftime. They lose when they lose and when they get a good position they will sell it off and feel good in the short term.

On the other hand when its a huge futures bet or the 10-teamer with one leg to go, you can't blame players for buying out. It's life changing amount of money at stake. You aren't look for value at that point. Sometimes its about risking sending you or your kid to college versus a lotto type payout. It makes sense to sell out of that spot. You arent an investment mgr. An extreme cases is that show, deal or no deal. There is a lady in tears because she's close to being filthy rich and she has nothing to her name. She goes for it because it's +ev and the crowd says so. But for her, shes risking a solid home for the big glory. What we really have at stake is really different for everyone.

rangerz2478

Yea I understand it's a losing proposition long term but in some big money situations it can be tough to turn down. There have been numerous times I wanted to hedge a future and couldn't because I had no money left at that book. This especially applies at 5dimes because they offer both sides of a future. (to win and to lose)

I actually held a big nhl future last year (that won) in betonline and ended up hedging it in 5dimes. Bill, you think betonline would have allowed me to buyout if I asked them directly? Good to know moving forward.

rangerz2478

What if your last leg was Yankees -150 and the current price dropped to -120. They'd allow you to take the other side at the higher price? I'm sure it would have to be current market value of the bet.

Quote Originally Posted by alta View Post
    No other books do that to my knowledge.
    Heritage lets you take the opposite side or total at the exact same number you got in the parlay.
    Beware they don't let you hedge if the parlay was placed with Free Play money.
    My only gripe with them cause I asked when I first opened account and they told me no restrictions on Hedge plays.
    So when I went to hedge my 1st free play parlay, they say no can do. Sure enough last part of parlay tanked.

yisman

bill, I kind of doubt most books would let you do that. Maybe if you got through to the top guns at the book they'd consider offering you a deal, but most of the time you'll run into a brick wall with customer service.

It'd be a good video for jjgold. He could call and ask them to let him hedge with no funds there. I'd bet he gets turned down at most of the SBR sponsors.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Are you serious??? I've lost plenty of 10, 12, 14 team parlays with payouts between 12k and 89k....and missed them all by one. If I woulda known that I would have been pleading with them

Wait you bet parlays with this many teams and you don't also do near parlays. Hmmm, that doesn't make sense to me.

Nittany Lion
    Nittany Lion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Ouch, but if it has to happen to someone, better a Ravens fan then someone else....lol GO STEELERS!

You should have contacted the book if you only had 1 leg to go on a parlay for an 89K payout, they would have probably hedged it. +EV for them to do so, they wouldn't have to pay out the full 89k then if your last leg won. But I guess it all depends on if the books wants to gamble or not on your last parlay leg losing, I'm sure if the 15th leg of your parlay was something like Giants -4 and over the week the lined moved to -7, they would probably want to hedge it for you.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Heritage is tops!

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by rangerz2478 View Post
    I actually held a big nhl future last year (that won) in betonline and ended up hedging it in 5dimes. Bill, you think betonline would have allowed me to buyout if I asked them directly? Good to know moving forward.
    Yes, it happens. It's not an unwritten rule that says they have to but it's to their advantage to let you if it's big enough to bother. Sometimes you need to make sure the message gets to the top. The CS clerk isn't going to be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    bill, I kind of doubt most books would let you do that. Maybe if you got through to the top guns at the book they'd consider offering you a deal, but most of the time you'll run into a brick wall with customer service.

It'd be a good video for jjgold. He could call and ask them to let him hedge with no funds there. I'd bet he gets turned down at most of the SBR sponsors.
    Ive seen it happen 3 times. I would expect it to be a real big bet. Heritage would very likely not hesitate if you agreed on the odds. A player might want to offer an extra 5% vig or so for the borrowing power.

yisman

bill, Heritage allows you to hedge as a standard feature. I was talking about other books, which don't.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    bill, Heritage allows you to hedge as a standard feature. I was talking about other books, which don't.
    Right right... Like I said, it's not a policy but books will do it. A whole different world opens up if you are a bigger money factor than the average. A lot like real life.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

There is no reason that books don't like to offer this feature, because to them, more money are wagered on current line, means more value to them. The issue is, not many players understand it, so the software is not programmed with this feature. And they will be reluctant to do this manually when a player ask for the hedge, because they have to enter a hedge bet, and then make current balance negative, which is a headache to deal with.

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's always somwhat curious to me when a player wants to hedge out his last leg, when that leg is lets say MNF, and all the other legs won on Sunday.

Why make that bet part of the parlay to begin with?

I know it's a mind game to risk little and hold a big possible payday, but absent concurrent games it's just better to leave that last play off the card.

One exception I will agree with would be to make the last leg a heavy ML favorite, then you can hedge back taking the dog w/ the points, and be in a win or win/middle catbird seat.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

let it ride.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by princecharles View Post
    It's always somwhat curious to me when a player wants to hedge out his last leg, when that leg is lets say MNF, and all the other legs won on Sunday.

Why make that bet part of the parlay to begin with?

I know it's a mind game to risk little and hold a big possible payday, but absent concurrent games it's just better to leave that last play off the card.

One exception I will agree with would be to make the last leg a heavy ML favorite, then you can hedge back taking the dog w/ the points, and be in a win or win/middle catbird seat.

I do this often and have hit some middles.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It's still a good feature to have

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It's still a good feature to have
    Coach,
    I would suggest a video calling Heritage to get the skinny, but something tell me Mike went total apeshit over that vid from months ago, huh?

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Heritage is tops!

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Great organization at Heritage.