bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

This is an angle I didn't think about.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

With a big fat * next to his name.

Joe deserves to lose the record, but that doesn't mean Bobby won more games than him.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Eddie Robinson new all time leader...Bobby b div1 leader
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: robmpink

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post

Very true.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    No, Eddie Robinson is the division 1 leader.

Bowden is the FBS leader.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Bowden is who will be recognized as all-time win leader.

Deservedly so.

Sorry Eddie.....but a bunch of wins against Prarie View A&M & Morehouse isn't quite the same.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Bowden is who will be recognized as all-time win leader.

Deservedly so.

Sorry Eddie.....but a bunch of wins against Prarie View A&M & Morehouse isn't quite the same.
    Why's that?

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    Why's that?
    Because they suck. Do you feel that Grambling played the same level of competition as Florida St?

I realize you're most likely trying to bait me into a racial debate, but I refuse. This is not a slight against schools for colored folk, it's simply a fact on a football level.

Not a racist bone in my body. I defy anyone to prove otherwise.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Because they suck. Do you feel that Grambling played the same level of competition as Florida St?

I realize you're most likely trying to bait me into a racial debate, but I refuse. This is not a slight against schools for colored folk, it's simply a fact on a football level.

You are missing the point if you think it is about race. Nothing to do with race. You are awfully defensive about race issues it seems. Is that all you think about? All I asked you was to give me a real reason why those wins by ER don't count?

Anyway, In an absolute sense, Division I is harder than Division III. That's not very controversial. But using absolutes is not a very fair or even reliable way to evaluate someone (or for when handicapping games). Let's say for example, that an Olympic runner can run a mile faster than than I can. Let's say it takes the Olympian 5:53 to run the mile and me it takes 12:18 to run the same mile. But let's say that the Olympian really should have ran the mile in 5:20 given their training and fitness level and that I should really have run the mile in 13:02 given my fitness level and training. In this sense, I ran faster than what was expected of me while the Olympian ran slower than what was expected even though I was "slower" than the Olympian. So basically, it would be accurate to say that "I am faster than the Olympian" because my observed was better than what was expected compared to the Olympian whose observed was worse than what was expected. If you understand that logic....then you can translate onto other things such as this case. If you adjust for the level of competition (as any logical person would)....then you can eliminate the biases of level of competition in your evaluation of coaching.

So, logically speaking, Bowden went 377-129 (.745) while Robinson went 408-165 (.707). Since I am always skeptical of W/L record in NCAAF because big time schools always schedule cupcake schools, a more accurate gauge of success is conference record. Bowden's ACC conference record was 111-27 (.804) so clearly very good. I can't seem to Find ER's conference record but I think that maybe they just played conf games in the SWAC. If that's the case, then BB's conf record is better than ER's and therefore you could make a case that that BB was the "better" coach which is more convincing than the argument that Bowden is better b/c of the level of competition.

But either way, Eddie Robinson was an elite coach. His record speaks for itself. He produced some 70 NFL players, 3 Hall of Famers, and a QB who won the Super Bowl. There are many D1 schools that can't say that. I visited the college football hall of fame last month and last I checked he was in there. College football = All of schools who play football, not the 120 of D1A. It's immature to pretend that his wins "don't count" or are somehow less than either Bowden or Paterno's or anyone else for that matter. They count. Just like someone who gets a degree from XXX university or college, their degree counts even though it is not from an Ivy league school.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Darkside Magick, and SlickRick1382

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Bi_Archie......how about you & your freakshow feet pipe down over there?

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

once they let legit teams in the ACC Bowden had to retire guy couldnt win a frigging fixed game. He made more off some of the worst teams in NCAA football in those years than Robinson ever dreamed of.

ACC football sucked for decades, FSU didnt lose an ACC game for something like 5 or 6 years, that surely wasnt because Bowden was such a great coach but because that conference sucked ass.

Its all stupid anyway basically any guy that wants to coach for 50 years will get those types of records, if they want to make them even semi legit it should really be winning percentage or average wins per year coached or something like that.

Hut to think that Bobby Bowden didnt benefit from playing cupcakes for probably 25 years is laughable.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

btw, Eddie Robinson coached in Division I as well, it's just he coached in the FCS part of Division I.