iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    arent those the qualities people wanted in a superstar?
    selfish to want to win it themselves, to be the man on their team?
    Uh, no. People still bash Kobe for what should have been in LA w/ Shaq. furthermore, Dwight can't be the man on a championship team. One of the few superstars in the NBA i don't want with the ball at the end of the game.
    Last edited by iQon; 07-20-12 at 02:11 AM.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Sad tale that Howard is considered a dominate defensive player

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    LMAo typical, as usual.
    They still werent all that good as seen by their typical quick exit from the play offs. but they did have a respectable win loss record,
    "typical quick exit from the playoffs"......How fukkin clueless can you be?? The Lakers have won 5 of the last 13 Championships!! They've been in 7 of the last 13 Finals. I know you tend to overlook certain little things like FACTS but 7 of the last 13 Finals is better than 50%

"typical quick exit from the playoffs" .....Seriously dude, please get a clue.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: William Walters

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

The question is not if Kobe is going to share the ball, thats already a given, no! The REAL question is... is he going to share the bengay in the locker room with Nash and Jamison??

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by therushishere View Post
    After working with LA big men staff for 7 years, Bynum has a better offensive game. Unfortunately, Gasol also has a great offensive repertoire. A great low post offensive repertoire requires touches or it becomes less involved in the flow of the game, and therefore less productive.

Bynum is a great defensive player with length who alters and blocks a lot of shots. Howard though, is a once in a generation defensive talent and is truly on a different level defensively than anyone else in the league. His offense has developed since he entered the league and is good, albeit not great. In LA he will have access to some of the all time greats to help smooth out his low post game. In the meantime, Gasol can start getting more consistent touches to get him back on track. As Gasol declines due to age (or is traded), Howard can start getting more touches.

All three are great players, but I see Howard and Gasol fitting together much more nicely than Bynum and Gasol ever did. It will ultimately help the team infinitely to have the best offensive skillset in the league for a big to go along with the best defensive talent in the league. For these reasons I think itll be a lot bigger of a deal than what the casual Lakers fan sees when he gets excited that they have perennial All-Star Dwight Howard.

I've seen a Turkoglu/MWP swap being mentioned that I would be very excited for if I was a Lakers fan too. MWP is starting to lose his quickness and athletic ability that he relies on so much. Turk doesn't use any of that but somehow always finds ways to win and would be one of the top players on my list if I wanted to build a winning franchise. He's a proven winner and does the little things you need to win.

On the other hand, if the rumors are true and Bynum does get shipped to the Cavs- watch out. Kyrie/Bynum instantly becomes one of the best PG/C combos in the league at two of the hardest positions to fill with All-Star caliber players. One is 19, one is 25. If they are able to keep Tristan Thompson they also have 2 additional top 4 picks to build with as well as a consummate professional and do it all team player in Tyler Zeller off the bench- plus whatever else they are able to develop or sign with their cap space next summer.
    Great post. Bynum is not a winner. He won 2 rings contributing only to 2 wins out of 12. Howard took a medicore Magic team to the finals and is the much better all around player. Bynum is not a good passer and I don't even think he's that good offensively to be honest. His size is the only thing that makes him formidable, and at such a young age, he seems to be getting even fatter while Howard is one of the fittest players in the entire league.

Hedo is washed up. He's slow and cannot defend elite players while Meta still has a decent chance of holding Durant/lebron/rudy gay/etc to 25 a game. Hedo is a little better 3 point shooter but Lakers need Meta to take the pressure off Bryant defensively. Any lapses by him would essentially be cleaned up by Howard, which is why this would be a championship team. Nash would have to guard some elite pg's but most guys that understand basketball know that in a 7 game series Bryant would handle a lot of that load if the PG was a premier player (i.e. a Westbrook/Chris Paul).

In regards to the cavs, they wouldn't go very far. Trust me, Andrew Bynum is not a winner. He will play for stats, and that's all. He doesn't know what it takes to win because he's been babied his entire career. Wait and see, Bynum will not be winning any rings for at least 5 years and will be lucky to sniff the playoffs.

Goat Milk

LMAo typical, as usual.

Nash is past his prime, still decent but not in the same league as the elite guards around, never did play defense.

Jamison is a joke, people actually thinking this guy is a good get are deluded.

But this is what the Lakers do to appease their fans that dont have a frigging clue about basketball, they go out and try to get guys with 'big names' and 'reputations' to plug inand sell tickets and luxury boxes.

How fast people forget how bad that team was (when it mattered) with Malone and Peyton on it. They struggled in a mediocre western conference that year but got pushed through the play offs with the typical referee help until they ran into the Pistons who were on a roll and kobe decided to go braindead and shoot the lakers out of games they had chances of wining and basically caused the lakers to get swept in the finals.

Lakers can sign all these guys all they want, they still have to play shut down defense to win. If the lakers hadnt played awesome defense last year they would have been a laughing stock. They still werent all that good as seen by their typical quick exit from the play offs. but they did have a respectable win loss record, but were a great fade ATS.

if it continues to go the way it is that will repeat itself this next year. Full season so they should win 50-54 games but they still arent even close to OKC or the Heat, even with Howard they would have to play top notch to beat OKC even but still couldnt beat Miami in a 7 game series, assuming no injury issues of course.
    Please I have called 2/3 last championships on this site PRE SEASON with the only loss being MIA in 11 who got to the finals anyway.

The Lakers would steam roll OKC if they got Howard and I am willing to put anything on it. Miami is a different story. You are one of the guys that was doubting MIA from last year I remember.

I never lose these futures bets. Never. I get 1 team minimum right in the finals ever year, with many times both. And I'm talking pre season, not when the fukkin playoffs start. I called an LA Bost final in '10 when BOST was seemingly out of the picture and sent many guys on SBR packing. Don't suffer the same fate.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Unbelievable how so many people undervalue Howard. If it weren't for all the off-court drama with Orlando, we would likely be talking about him as the third best player in the NBA behind LeBron and Durant.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Also a sad tale when Howard is seriously considered a top 3 player, which he should be today.

bryant81
    Update your status
    bryant81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12228

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Please I have called 2/3 last championships on this site PRE SEASON with the only loss being MIA in 11 who got to the finals anyway.

The Lakers would steam roll OKC if they got Howard and I am willing to put anything on it. Miami is a different story. You are one of the guys that was doubting MIA from last year I remember.

I never lose these futures bets. Never. I get 1 team minimum right in the finals ever year, with many times both. And I'm talking pre season, not when the fukkin playoffs start. I called an LA Bost final in '10 when BOST was seemingly out of the picture and sent many guys on SBR packing. Don't suffer the same fate.
    Good posts, GM. So do you think if Lakers got Dwight, they'd be the favourites to win it all? A lineup of Nash/Kobe/Peace/Gasol/Dwight with Jamison/Blake etc off the bench. In your opinion are they the favourites to win it all?

And I agree, people are SERIOUSLY undervaluing Dwight. He was viewed as the second best player before this past season. Now people act like they forgot how dominant he is.

bryant81
    Update your status
    bryant81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12228

I've watched Bynum since 2006. I watched him develop into the player he is today. But get one thing straight: the guy does not impact the game like Dwight does, and probably never will. At least not as consistently as Howard does. Bynum may be slightly better on offence (although I don't agree with that). But keep in mind that Dwight has been getting double teamed his entire career. Bynum just started getting doubled strongly this year. And even then, Dwight still gets double teamed more often. Howard is by no means good at passing out of double teams, but is still miles ahead of Bynum on that front.

Also, Dwight would be a MUCH, MUCH better fit with Nash. High pick and roll is complementary to both Howard and Nash. Bynum doesn't have the speed or agility to be as big a threat off the pick and roll. He's not explosive. Also, Bynum needs to post up and have the ball in his hands. When he does that, he completely stalls the offence and kills any flow the offence has (more than Kobe, yes). That's the thing about Bynum. People always say "oh why don't the Lakers go to Bynum more often"? It's because dude sucks at dealing with double teams and is a complete black hole on offence. Some of it falls on the players because they too often stand still or don't cut (probably because they know he won't pass it anyway). But I have my doubts that Bynum can even deliver them the ball. The main difference is this: Howard can be effective without the ball or touching the ball a lot less (catch off the pick and roll and dunk it) whereas Bynum needs the ball in his hands to back his man down and try to score. You already have Nash and Kobe who need the ball. That's why Howard would be infinitely times better than Bynum on the Lakers.

And all this is without even considering the defence. Bynum is a good defender on most nights. And a very good defender when he wants to be. That's the problem with him. You just don't know what you're going to get from him on a nightly basis. Too often he doesn't give effort on defence or on the boards because of lack of touches. That's not the case with Howard. Howard will contribute and DOMINATE a game even if he scored just 4 points. He's constantly engaged on defence and makes defenders think twice before penetrating the lane. That's something you know you will get from Dwight EVERY GAME: elite defence and rebounding. Every. Single. Possession. Bynum takes way too many possessions off.

During the '08-'09, '09-'10, and '10-'11 seasons, the Magic ranked first, first, and third, respectively, in points against per 100 possessions. All this with who? Who was contributing to this defence outside of Dwight? Lewis? Come on. Hedo? LOL. Nelson? Undersized. Carter? Please. Duhon? Redick? J-Rich? None of those guys can be considered good defenders. So what does all that mean? It's basically saying that Dwight can turn ANY group of defenders into an ELITE defence. Not a good defence, not a pretty good defence, an ELITE DEFENCE.

So if he were to play on the Lakers, you know, with Kobe, World Peace, Gasol, he'd already have very good defenders around him. You can argue that those three are probably the best defenders Dwight will have ever played with. Then you add in Mike Brown's emphasis on defence? That's scary stuff. Year in, year out, the Magic are the best team in protecting the rim (lowest opponent FG% at the rim). Then you add in capable perimeter defenders? I can't even begin to tell you how good the defence would be. Bynum can't play pick and roll defence. Howard can. And he's so quick and agile that he's a much better weak side defender. Possibly the best in the league.

Thing is, even if Bynum and Dwight were the same talent wise, Howard would still be better because you know what you'll get from him every night. He's consistent, he always plays with energy and hustle, and he'll play hard even if he's not scoring or getting touches.

This is why I think getting Dwight instantly makes the Lakers the best team in the west, and with minor moves (upgrading the bench), they would be the favourites to win it all.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by bryant81 View Post
    Good posts, GM. So do you think if Lakers got Dwight, they'd be the favourites to win it all? A lineup of Nash/Kobe/Peace/Gasol/Dwight with Jamison/Blake etc off the bench. In your opinion are they the favourites to win it all?

And I agree, people are SERIOUSLY undervaluing Dwight. He was viewed as the second best player before this past season. Now people act like they forgot how dominant he is.
    Great post above. Read the whole thing and its spot on. Miami would be favorites to win it all simply because I believe they have two of the top 4 players in the league on one team (this is just my opinion). Wade will be back to his 24, 5, and 5 next year, and at this point Bosh is a little better than Gasol.

Dwight is a top 10 player and Bryant is a top 4 as well. OKC may be favorites by the books going into the season if LA got Dwight but they will quickly realize the mistake they made. Like you said with the high pick and roll with Nash, Dwight is the better fit and he is a stronger presence without the ball. Gasol can space the floor well and lets not forget that Bryant is fully capable of being a spot up shooter when he needs to be. He is not a Lebron or Wade that doesn't like to take the open shot. He'll take it every time and Nash will find him. That and defenders will be off balance giving Kobe a one dribble pullup easy look at the rim when all eyes are on Nash. Jamison is a solid addition, good for 8-10 points a game off the bench.

Let's just put it this way. Miami would probably be in trouble.

therushishere
    therushishere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 990

"Lakers up by 3...20 seconds left...theyll probably just run out the clock...MWP jacks up a 3? Air ball? Opponents grab the air ball and now have 18 seconds to get a quality shot off. Wait...now MWP attacks the smaller 6'0 guard? 2 FTs and the ball..."

Is the sort of scenario you avoid with a MWP-Hedo swap.

The main point I was trying to make is that Dwight would be a MUCH better fit with the Lakers team. I'm talking about one thing and then you start talking about another. I don't think I mentioned "winner" at any point. With two bigs as skilled as Bynum and Gasol along with Kobe requiring touches, one of them cools down. If youve ever played basketball in your life you know that if you dont ever have the chance to get into a groove offensively youre not going to be as effective. Gasol is the most skilled big man in the NBA, but maybe youve forgotten it. Don't undermine the contributions he would be able to make with his low post counterpart still able to dominate games even when hes only scoring 4 points.

kobefanatic
    kobefanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5086

looks like lakers will have at least a strong 8 this year

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Buss wud never in a million years trade bynum for Dwight! Especially after his back issues.. cud go down as the worst trade ever

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    Buss wud never in a million years trade bynum for Dwight! Especially after his back issues.. cud go down as the worst trade ever
    Since when did Dwight become the health risk and Bynum become Cal Ripkin Jr? Before this season, Dwight had never missed more than 4 games a season. He didn't miss one game his first four years in the league. So what, he missed like 12 games this season. Dwight will always be the healthir player. Bynum is the one who is made of glass.

Howard is way better than Bynum. Even with the recent back issues, Howard will have the longer and healthier career.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: therushishere

qsilver335
    qsilver335's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

The only reason I think Howard wouldn't sign with LA long term would be the age of the other stars. If he signed a long term deal with LA he would outlast Kobe, Nash, and Gasol. I am still not convinced he doesn't want to go back home to Atlanta when all is said and done. That being said, LA has still had a good off season. Getting Dwight and getting him to sign long term would be one of the best off seasons in recent memory.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Since when did Dwight become the health risk and Bynum become Cal Ripkin Jr? Before this season, Dwight had never missed more than 4 games a season. He didn't miss one game his first four years in the league. So what, he missed like 12 games this season. Dwight will always be the healthir player. Bynum is the one who is made of glass.

Howard is way better than Bynum. Even with the recent back issues, Howard will have the longer and healthier career.
    u keep big guys like bynum on ur team. howard isn't a winner, only reason he worked so well in Orlando is because of 3 point shooting

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    u keep big guys like bynum on ur team. howard isn't a winner, only reason he worked so well in Orlando is because of 3 point shooting
    Only reason why Bynum has ever won anything is because of Kobe. It is not like he was a dominant force when he the Lakers won in 2009 and 2010. Dwight single handedly carried that Orlando team to the finals. Only reason why Dwight hasn't won crap is because the best player he has ever played alongside is Jameer Nelson and a washed up Vince Carter. Bynum has had the luxury of playing under the greatest basketball coach of all time, Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol.

qsilver335
    qsilver335's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

I would say Orlando's demise was the 3 point shooting, not why it worked so well. If Dwight had a complete team, like the Lakers, he would already have a title or two. A team geared to jack up 3's, like Orlando was, can't make it through the playoffs. Eventually they will go cold and lose.

Speedy88

Just look at those Orlando teams. He is yet to play alongside a superstar type player. The best he has ever played with is Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis, and a washed up Vince Carter. Reminds me a bit of when Allen Iverson was in Phili. AI got absolutely no help, yet he took all the blame.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Just look at those Orlando teams. He is yet to play alongside a superstar type player. The best he has ever played with is Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis, and a washed up Vince Carter. Reminds me a bit of when Allen Iverson was in Phili. AI got absolutely no help, yet he took all the blame.
    AI was only good for jacking up shots. wat did he really win? he showed u how really limited and how little he learned when age overtook his athletic gifts. larry brown had more to do with the sixers success than iverson.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by qsilver335 View Post
    The only reason I think Howard wouldn't sign with LA long term would be the age of the other stars. If he signed a long term deal with LA he would outlast Kobe, Nash, and Gasol. I am still not convinced he doesn't want to go back home to Atlanta when all is said and done. That being said, LA has still had a good off season. Getting Dwight and getting him to sign long term would be one of the best off seasons in recent memory.
    thats not the reason. he wants to start his own legacy, his own traditional, be the man on his own team, etc etc.
    he doesnt want to play second bananna to kobe or live up to the lakers past time. ATL is not even on the radar for dwight. they have NO TALENT on that squad. its been NETS or bust. in my opinion, he shud go to the lakers. they would be the best team in the league for the next couple years.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

LMAo typical, as usual.

Nash is past his prime, still decent but not in the same league as the elite guards around, never did play defense.

Jamison is a joke, people actually thinking this guy is a good get are deluded.

But this is what the Lakers do to appease their fans that dont have a frigging clue about basketball, they go out and try to get guys with 'big names' and 'reputations' to plug inand sell tickets and luxury boxes.

How fast people forget how bad that team was (when it mattered) with Malone and Peyton on it. They struggled in a mediocre western conference that year but got pushed through the play offs with the typical referee help until they ran into the Pistons who were on a roll and kobe decided to go braindead and shoot the lakers out of games they had chances of wining and basically caused the lakers to get swept in the finals.

Lakers can sign all these guys all they want, they still have to play shut down defense to win. If the lakers hadnt played awesome defense last year they would have been a laughing stock. They still werent all that good as seen by their typical quick exit from the play offs. but they did have a respectable win loss record, but were a great fade ATS.

if it continues to go the way it is that will repeat itself this next year. Full season so they should win 50-54 games but they still arent even close to OKC or the Heat, even with Howard they would have to play top notch to beat OKC even but still couldnt beat Miami in a 7 game series, assuming no injury issues of course.

I want to know where all these Laker apologists are now?

I havent been piling on the Lakers because it was only Oct, but now thatit officially the second week of Nov I feel the need to bury them a little.

First 12