PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

US Stock Futures Decline As Relief Over Greek Elections Fade

-Stock futures decline as focus shifts from Greece elections to Spain--Europe pares gains on uncertainty about New Democracy's slim victory--Housing market index for June expected to decline slightly
    By Tomi Kilgore
    NEW YORK--U.S. stock futures fell Monday, erasing earlier gains, as initial relief over the pro-austerity party's narrow victory in Greece's elections gave way to increasing worries about Spain.Dow Jones Industrial Average futures declined 52 points, or 0.4%, to 12658, erasing earlier gains of as much as 92 points.Standard & Poor's 500-stock index futures lost 5 points, or 0.4%, to 1332 and Nasdaq 100 futures slipped 3 points, or 0.1%, to 2561. Changes in stock futures don't always accurately predict stock moves after the opening bell.On the economic calendar, the housing market index for June is due out at 10 a.m. EDT, with economists surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires expecting a decline to 28 from 29 in May.European markets were mostly up but well off earlier highs, as the New Democracy party's slim victory in Greece and Spain's brewing crisis sapped the initial excitement over the Greek elections. The Stoxx Europe 600 was up 0.2%, but was trading up 1% soon after the open.Although New Democracy's victory assures that Greece will stay in the euro for now, there was some worry about the party's ability to form a viable coalition.Separately, the yield on 10-year Spanish bonds rose above 7% and IBEX-35 stock index slumped 1.6%, as investors worried that Spain would soon need a bailout of its own, after the country's banking sector already received a bailout offer from European partners.Meanwhile, Asian markets were broadly higher following the Greece election results, with Japan's Nikkei Stock Average surging 1.8% and China's Shanghai Composite rising 0.4%.Crude oil futures fell 0.9% to $83.29 a barrel, while gold futures gave up 0.2% to $1624.40 an ounce. The U.S. dollar rose against the euro but lost some ground against the yen.In corporate news, shares of Facebook slipped 0.4% in premarket trading after the social networking giant said its chief technology officer, Bret Taylor, was leaving that company to work on another start up. The stock ran up 6.1% on Friday, the biggest one-day gain since the company went public on May 18.Extorre Gold Mines surged 56% after the gold miner said it agreed to be acquired by Yamana Gold in a cash-and-stock deal valued at roughly $400 million.Infinity Pharmaceuticals dropped 23% after the company said it stopped a Phase 2 trial of its treatment for bone and cartilage cancers, citing disappointing clinical data.

Username9999
    Username9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is where the easy money is. Currency and stocks. Yet, we rather waste our wagers on sports.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by FiredFromBOL View Post
    This is where the easy money is. Currency and stocks. Yet, we rather waste our wagers on sports.
    It takes at least as long to learn about the us stock market as it does to learn about the sports betting market. One definite positive is the amount of betting/trading options compared to the amount of betting options within the us sports betting market.

Username9999
    Username9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    It takes at least as long to learn about the us stock market as it does to learn about the sports betting market. One definite positive is the amount of betting/trading options compared to the amount of betting options within the us sports betting market.
    Do you believe being over analytically with sports wagering, as one would be with stocks/options would hurt more then help?

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

therushishere
    therushishere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 990

I'm new to the markets but Onyx Pharma shot up 41% and Bed, Bath & Beyond was down 15% two great opportunities there today. I'm still looking for more a more recent, relevant breaking news ticker, any ideas?

Does Europe get worse before it gets better? Spain just sold itself 2bn in bonds today which isn't really going to help much in the long run...

therushishere
    therushishere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 990

Quote Originally Posted by Username9999 View Post
    Do you believe being over analytically with sports wagering, as one would be with stocks/options would hurt more then help?
    Theres a fine line, but assuming you still put in a good amount of work, yes.

If you watch a few post-game conferences, you'll start to realize that there really aren't many intelligent athletes let alone groups or teams of intelligent athletes. Off the top of my head I can name Manning, Brady and Foster- and even with that group I read a report about QB busts breaking the position down into either being highly conceptual or highly simple with anybody in the in-between group ending up being a bust, and I believe it was Brady that was on the highly instinctual end of the spectrum.

You have to spend some time with getting to know certain trends, but once you get to a certain point- it gets to be either: Has this pitcher been good enough to buck the trend against pitchers performing poorly in the outing after a no-hitter or not? Maybe you add in one or two more factors- but at the end of the day you can't over-think it.

At least thats my take on it- I haven't been wagering on sports as long as some others in here, but what I have been able to accomplish is making a steady profit out of it.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

When I was dabbling in commodities, I read somewhere to use the KISS method. Basically, the less you know the
    better and it applies to sports betting. Find a simple system that works and implement with money management.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anyone investing in the market will get destroyed

Its not for the litte guys

Big boys take all little boys money
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PAULYPOKER

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13401

Username9999 is right. Currency (Foreign Exchange Market) and TRADING stocks is where its at. I have recently spent every day since the US was downgraded for the first time in history figuring out how the stock market works and boy did i learn a lot. Wager is still a great business but if you are trying to stack you should be in the Forex and equity markets.