ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios lays off its entire staff

The sad saga of 38 Studios took an even more depressing turn Thursday afternoon. The beleaguered game maker run by former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling abruptly laid off all of its employees, effective immediately. Insiders at the company say they also learned their health insurance will run out at midnight.
    Employees learned of the layoffs through an internal email, which Gamasutra has obtained.
    It reads:
    "The Company is experiencing an economic downturn. To avoid further losses and possibility of retrenchment, the Company has decided that a company wide lay off is absolutely necessary.
    These layoffs are non-voluntary and non-disciplinary.
    This is your official notice of lay off, effective today, Thursday, May 24th, 2012."
    Meanwhile, a person claiming to be a now-former employee of the company told Kotaku that no one has been paid since April 30 -- and company officials have not communicated the status of things to workers throughout the process.
    Rhode Island news outlet WPRI reports the company had 379 employees as of March 15, 288 of which were located within the state, with the remaining located at the offices of Big Huge Games in Maryland. That subsidiary studio, too, was reportedly shut down today.
    38 Studios, which earlier this year shipped the role-playing game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, is in the throes of a severe financial crisis that's been impacting the entire state of Rhode Island. The developer, which obtained a $75 million loan from the state, failed to make a $1.125 million payment last week, eventually scraping together the funds at the expense of payroll.
    While Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was a mid-level hit, it was unable to help the company stay afloat. 38 Studios has been working on a massively multiplayer online game, codenamed "Copernicus," though that likely has been shelved now with the development team dismissed.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-11-15 at 03:05 PM. Reason: link does not work

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Well that sucks. It was a pretty good video game. Would've liked to see more games made by that company

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

At least Curt got his 4 million out. Another job creator that stiffs the taxpayers when things went South.

samgurt

A 75 mil loan seems like a lot...is that really how much it costs to create a game? I guess you could say 2 games cuz they were making another

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

The obama administrations anti business policies and regulations kills yet another small business.

ttwarrior1

curt is a hardcore democrat

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    curt is a hardcore democrat
    You're wrong.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...enate-seat.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73n0w2Ov2k

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

classic liberal scum

gets a handout from big goverment, then fails and expects others to pay for it

the funny part is the business might of actually been successful if it wasn't for obama regulations

ttwarrior1

yeh i meant rep

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Is Facebook next?

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

This fat fukk has been spouting anti-government rhetoric for years, then takes $75 million loan from the state, and stiffs on it, and is now asking for $20 million in additional bailout

Typical hyprocrite republican.
    Last edited by ProfaneReality; 05-25-12 at 04:24 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BuddyBear

aceking
    aceking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

everybody's playing Diablo 3 now .

samgurt

Quote Originally Posted by aceking View Post
    everybody's playing Diablo 3 now .
    his game came out months ago though. There was ads for it everywhere. Even ESPN.com had a drop-down ad. I even saw Schilling on nightly talk shows. When's the last time someone has gone on a talk show (I believe it was Conan and maybe others) to talk about a game? Would've expected the game to be bigger.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

fat bastard should be strung up by his fake bloody sock.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    A 75 mil loan seems like a lot...is that really how much it costs to create a game? I guess you could say 2 games cuz they were making another
    Video games have a million moving parts. Most developers lose money unless he reach that one great game, e.i. Call of Duty. X-Box loses tens of millions of dollars each year, and kept afloat b/c its parent company, Microsoft, has cash surplus in the billions of dollars.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

sucks for them

fuk schilling

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Owning a video game development company are just like owning a music production company.

Bottomless pits for your money.

PedroG
    PedroG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

Karma for using Ketchup on his sock in the Series ....

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

He should become a Democrat donor, create a huge solar panel factory, get a loan from the Obama administration, declare bankruptcy. That would make the Democrats happy.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    He should become a Democrat donor, create a huge solar panel factory, get a loan from the Obama administration, declare bankruptcy. That would make the Democrats happy.
    You and ** have to be real kneejerk D-bags to blame this on Dems, libs, Obama, etc. Schilling is a hard core republican right-wing know-it-all Ahole, takes $75mil from the state of RI, never hires any RIers as promised, pays himself handsomely, and goes bankrupt in record time. A total con from a big time fraud.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    You and ** have to be real kneejerk D-bags to blame this on Dems, libs, Obama, etc. Schilling is a hard core republican right-wing know-it-all Ahole, takes $75mil from the state of RI, never hires any RIers as promised, pays himself handsomely, and goes bankrupt in record time. A total con from a big time fraud.
    Who's blaming this business failure on Obama?

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Cant believe a startup video game developer run by an ex-pitcher could fail...what are the odds

Hey Obama Im a degenerate **** that watches alot of sports and has no experience running a business (just like Schilling) can I borrow 75 mil to start a bottled water company, I mean seriously how can this go wrong we're just putting water in a bottle and selling it for a buck! I'm gonna need at least 100 employees so thats instant job creation and of course my manager's salary of 4 mil a year to keep me motivated to pitch my water as we try to get through the first couple years when we're hemorrhaging money

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Cant believe a startup video game developer run by an ex-pitcher could fail...what are the odds

Hey Obama Im a degenerate **** that watches alot of sports and has no experience running a business (just like Schilling) can I borrow 75 mil to start a bottled water company, I mean seriously how can this go wrong we're just putting water in a bottle and selling it for a buck! I'm gonna need at least 100 employees so thats instant job creation and of course my manager's salary of 4 mil a year to keep me motivated to pitch my water as we try to get through the first couple years when we're hemorrhaging money
    It was a loan from the STATE of Rhode Island. Not a federal loan.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Never heard of the game

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    It was a loan from the STATE of Rhode Island. Not a federal loan.
    I cant be picky if federal or state wants to fund my bottled water business I am willing to hear them out, I actually feel guilty (as Im sure Schilling did) letting them in on such a great investment but even the Wright brothers needed money to pay for plane parts and equipment
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 05-25-12 at 04:30 PM.

bettilimbroke999

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    Never heard of the game
    No one has, thats probably bc it sucked

mp5070
    The Michael Scott Company
    mp5070's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7789

bettilimbroke999

First game released February 2012...bankrupt and out of business May 2012...damn!

In July 2010, The Rhode Island board of Economic Development approved a $75 million guaranteed loan to 38 Studios. 38 Studios has promised to bring 450 jobs to the state by the end of 2012.

Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 05-25-12 at 05:55 PM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I hope Schilling is bankrupt

He is scum

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Schill ain't bankrupt. He's a con. Says he lost a lot of his own $$ on this venture. Bullshit. That's where the RI dough went......to repay himself for bogus self-investments. He conned the Sox his last year by signing a huge contract, knowing full well he was injured and would never pitch again. A FRAUD.....and a giant A-hole. A very bad man.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    At least Curt got his 4 million out. Another job creator that stiffs the taxpayers when things went South.
    How did Schilling stiff the tax payers?

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

what a TOTAL joke....stick to bad commentary on Baseball Tonight

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    How did Schilling stiff the tax payers?

Where do you think the 75 million dollar loan he got from the government came from?

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

They needed to sell 3 million copies of the game to break even, they sold 1 million.

I'm not sure if 3mill is a huge goal they counld never have met or if 3mill is average and the game just sucked. Last video game I owned was Nintendo64.

^ Greatest game ever made!
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-11-15 at 02:59 PM. Reason: image does not exist

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    Where do you think the 75 million dollar loan he got from the government came from?
    I missed that part. My bad. I can't believe a state government loaned him that kind of money? I thought Muldoon was referring to walking away from a business and not paying the FICA on his employees? Because the law states if a business owner is behind in FICA (Even if he files bankruptcy) by law... he must repay the federal government before he dies. It's never a wash. So in all essence if he is the highest share holder Schilling is responsible for all back FICA... Even if it's 100k+ he will owe it before he dies.

12 Last