metsy
    metsy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 222

Which fave would you pick? -550/520 or -550/475?

So my friend and I have been debating.
    Team A (fave at -550) is playing team B (dog at +520).
    Team C (fave at -550) is playing team D (dog at +475).

If you had $550. and wanted to bet on one of the faves (regardless of the players, this is purely a logical/mathemtaical debate), which one would you pick? Team A, or team C? Please give reasons.
    My friend says team C because the difference in price between C and D is bigger proportionally than between A and B. I see what he means, but I am leaning towards team A. Thanks.

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11522

Quote Originally Posted by metsy View Post

If you had $550. and wanted to bet on one of the faves (regardless of the players, this is purely a logical/mathemtaical debate), which one would you pick? Team A, or team C? Please give reasons.
    My friend says team C because the difference in price between C and D is bigger proportionally than between A and B. I see what he means, but I am leaning towards team A. Thanks.

First off i hope you don't bet these -550 favs to often.

Secondly, i would suggest you take this utterly mind boggling question to the Think Tank sub forum and see what comes back from the crew over there.

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11522

My friend says team C because the difference in price between C and D is bigger proportionally than between A and B.I see what he means,but I am leaning towards team A. Thanks.

If you see what he means your fuccked. quit gambling right now.

Just out of curiosity i have this question for you.

When you bet a -550 fav and win how does the dog being +520 OR +475 or +220 benefit you more one way then the other?

On the other hand if you lose the -550 bet how does the dog being +WHATEVER change your bottom line?
    Last edited by Al Masters; 04-21-12 at 09:12 AM.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

I would rather bet -550 (in -550/+520) than the other. Even if you are wrong, the market's implied odds are closer to what you are betting. If you are a coin flipper, you'll lose less long-term betting that, than -550/+475, regardless of which side you bet.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I don't recall ever seeing a -550 +520 wager in my life.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I don't see how anyone with an education level higher than 3rd grade can get this wrong

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a -550 +520 wager in my life.
    you must never have played on an exchange?