PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

George Washington Named Britain's Greatest Ever Foe

These fukks are still holding a grudge after all this time.

Fukkin hamburgers they are.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9...-ever-foe.html

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Philly, I didn't read the article but if your title is what it is about well that is just crazy. G Washington never threatened their empire, but Hitler certainly did and it was touch and go for quite a while. That isn't even in the ball park.How you doing buddy?

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

I would have thought Napoleon was a bigger foe to the Brits.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

I would think Goring if they where narrowing down to generals

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

From article
    He was one of a shortlist of five leaders who topped a public poll and on Saturday was selected as the ultimate winner by an audience of around 70 guests at a special event at the museum, in Chelsea, west London.
    In second place was Michael Collins, the Irish leader, ahead of Napoleon Bonaparte, Erwin Rommel andMustafa Kemal Atatürk.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Maybe they meant "greatest" foe. He was a foe. And he was the greatest. Hitler couldn't be the greatest foe - he lost.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Opening line in the article - does it really sound like this is an article about holding a grudge?

The American was voted the winner in a contest run by the National Army Museum to identify the country's most outstanding military opponent.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Philly, I didn't read the article but if your title is what it is about well that is just crazy. G Washington never threatened their empire, but Hitler certainly did and it was touch and go for quite a while. That isn't even in the ball park.How you doing buddy?
    Contest was only people who led armies in the field against the British empire. Still kind of shocking, I would have figured that Rommel or Napoleon would have been higher up.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

How about William Wallace? He didn't win, but went into England and kicked major butt.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    Contest was only people who led armies in the field against the British empire. Still kind of shocking, I would have figured that Rommel or Napoleon would have been higher up.

Didn't read the article. Only idea came from what Philly had to say in his opening statement. Germany or France certainly outdo Washington, my god the guy wasn't even on the continent. How could that be a threat in the 18th century, very few tanks and planes around. Silly comment/
    Last edited by dante1; 04-16-12 at 07:34 PM.

Deep_Rest
    Deep_Rest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10319

I thought good food was Britain's greatest foe.