Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33462

I logged back into the poker software. No banner ad. No attack. I'm not sure if the lack of a banner ad was done by SBR, or if adblock got it this time after missing it earlier.

I think by now it's clear that this is a real virus and not a false positive given what has been posted in the thread.

I will lose a lot of respect for SBR if they don't post a warning to forum members to run a virus scan.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I logged back into the poker software. No banner ad. No attack. I'm not sure if the lack of a banner ad was done by SBR, or if adblock got it this time after missing it earlier.

I think by now it's clear that this is a real virus and not a false positive given what has been posted in the thread.

I will lose a lot of respect for SBR if they don't post a warning to forum members to run a virus scan.
    although i haven't been hit, i agree. a simple script will allow for a pop up window alerting users of a possible threat.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    onlooker, are you running adblock plus?
    No.

This isn't installing anything. Just something that is a annoyance for SBR to get rid of. If you go to the link that it is trying to direct you to, then it is suppose to pop up a window to ask to install something. Which we all know not to do, I hope.

Let me find that video of how it gets on and how to get it off.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

this is all horse crap. I can't remember anything comparable on the other forums.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    Opti all this is coming from their ad network, If sbr stopped serving ads on the LIVE site until they fixed it, No one would be getting infected. I'm sorry but it is that simple. Instead SBR is leaving the ads live and potentially infecting new users.
    I thought they tried that yesterday. But really was just having enough faith in SBR to think they would have already fixed it if it was that simple.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

This is a video from last year, but this is a version of a Blackhole Exploit.

This one is advice on how to protect yourself from them, and advice for webmasters (SBR).

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

I thought they tried that yesterday. But really was just having enough faith in SBR to think they would have already fixed it if it was that simple.
    You're right that it's not that simple. The ad server was taken down previously and we had testers as well as our entire technical staff vet each ad. We could not reproduce any issues, and in fact, less than 1% of active users have come forward with these program-specific alerts. Obviously something is still going wrong, and you'll notice now the entire ad server is off-line and will remain so until more dots are connected.

Again we offer our apologies for the situation, and yes, it is entirely and strongly (in the strongest possible terms) recommended to use anti-virus software when browsing the internet.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

You guys, i just found something called betterinstaller.exe... Wtf!!! Now im mad.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Only a small amount of users came forward because only a small amount would have the proper anti virus software.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    You're right that it's not that simple. The ad server was taken down previously and we had testers as well as our entire technical staff vet each ad. We could not reproduce any issues, and in fact, less than 1% of active users have come forward with these program-specific alerts. Obviously something is still going wrong, and you'll notice now the entire ad server is off-line and will remain so until more dots are connected.

Again we offer our apologies for the situation, and yes, it is entirely and strongly (in the strongest possible terms) recommended to use anti-virus software when browsing the internet.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
    Only a small amount of users came forward because only a small amount would have the proper anti virus software.
    Actually the programs we've seen are all very popular, it's safe to assume a substantially larger amount of users than what's come forward have either Norton, AVG, Avast or NOD 32 installed. Even some who are non-PC savvy have preloaded or free protection, but you're obviously correct that it's important to have proper software when browsing the web.

We'll have more of an update tomorrow.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Betterinstaller wouldnt be found unless u have recently updated ur software.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    Actually the programs we've seen are all very popular, it's safe to assume a substantially larger amount of users than what's come forward have either Norton, AVG, Avast or NOD 32 installed. Even some who are non-PC savvy have preloaded or free protection, but you're obviously correct that it's important to have proper software when browsing the web.

We'll have more of an update tomorrow.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Betterinstaller wouldnt be found unless u have recently updated ur software.
    Malwarebytes will remove. It is adware/malware.

I think it is a search bar that is packaged with certain downloads, and when you install that software it will ask to install the search bar. I think even if you don't install, that exe will get stored in your temp folder.

It did not come from SBR.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

You guys, i just found something called betterinstaller.exe... Wtf!!! Now im mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Malwarebytes will remove. It is adware/malware.

I think it is a search bar that is packaged with certain downloads, and when you install that software it will ask to install the search bar. I think even if you don't install, that exe will get stored in your temp folder.

It did not come from SBR.
    I actually think it comes from CNET Downloads. I got that Somoto Better Installer from there one time, as I stated above. It is packaged with certain software. It never installed on my computer, but MalwareBytes found it as a PUP and it was sitting in my Temp Folder.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Malwarebytes and Spybot Seek and Destroy are both good. When I run complete scans I use Avast (my primary AV), Malwarebytes and Spybot. If somehow something might slip by one, at least on of the other two will pick it up and remove it.

Trident
    Update your status
    Trident's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2791

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    this is all horse crap. I can't remember anything comparable on the other forums.
    Happens all the time when you see flash banner ads which are notorious for how easy they are to hack and attach a virus to them, TheRX, EOG and other Forums have had issue's with them.

skjjb4
    skjjb4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1070

This has happened to me 3 times from this site. SBR says it is not them but why put ads on the site that does this crap? Unless it's not the ads but something else. Nomatter what it comes from this site.

First ... 5678