InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Espn guys just said Bill Self is a hall of famer with current credentials

Maybe I'm too drunk but that made me

Scuba Gooding Jr
    Scuba Gooding Jr's Avatar Become A Pro!

He probably is, I'm a homer though so my opinion doesn't matter.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

elite 8 w/ illinois and tulsa. 8 consecutive big 12 titles w/ kansas, 2 final fours w/ kansas, 1 national title w/ kansas, championship game this year with kansas, 400+ career wins. not too shabby.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Good resume yes....too early for hall of fame

Win Monday then let's talk....but they won't.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rick Pitino had done the best coaching job of the year ... until today. Self took his squad one step further, a squad NO ONE thought would make any noise this year yet alone reach the god damn National Championship game. You can say what you want about the man, but this is a masterful coaching job. Might be the best defensive team in the country ... we'll find out Monday.

CrazyCarl
    CrazyCarl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2162

Bill Self has more Big 12 Championships than Kansas home losses.

Best NCAA coach in the nation who doesn't get his season vacated every year.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

There are two sides to Bill Self. The Overachiever and The Choker. He does both incredibly well. He will probably coach 20+ more years on the highest level, guaranteed Hall of Famer if Pitino and Cal are considered.

RL75
    RL75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 500

As far as Calipari that cheater should never even sniff the HOF I don't care if he wins 5 championships in a row.

I don't know why these announcers talk about crap like this when the guy probably has another 15-20 years of coaching to go.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Let's talk about this great run they're on...

Theyve beaten three double digit seeds and then had a PG-less UNC team that struggled mightily against Ohio U in their other game without Marshall.

Today was a great comeback win...rest of their tournament run was...fortunate.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Rick Pitino had done the best coaching job of the year ... until today. Self took his squad one step further, a squad NO ONE thought would make any noise this year yet alone reach the god damn National Championship game. You can say what you want about the man, but this is a masterful coaching job. Might be the best defensive team in the country ... we'll find out Monday.
    really is. too be able to take this team to the NC with head case Taylor running the point (who got shut down tonight and still managed to get a win) is really just unbelievable. the team just finds ways to win. I for one was not a believer in them at all and still think they are very lucky to be here and any competent team would put them away...(which Kentucky will do)..still have to give the man credit tho.

if they go on to win the NC its probably one of the best coaching in one season we have seen in a long time.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

just cause they weren't preseason top 5 doesn't mean they are overachievers. 32-6, beat some very, very good teams this year and tonight, they have some serious talent on their roster.

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    just cause they weren't preseason top 5 doesn't mean they are overachievers. 32-6, beat some very, very good teams this year and tonight, they have some serious talent on their roster.
    uh really? who? besides Thomas Robinson. the rest are all college role players who will never see a minute in the NBA. Taylor will be a draft pick but will be a disaster.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

self coaching for another 20 years?

how old is he?

CrazyCarl
    CrazyCarl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2162

Taylor is really good but he's an idiot with the ball. Love him or hate him -- I love him for some reason lol.

Yeah, this was an amazing year. KU lost 4 out of 5 starters, and Self had 3 of his recruits go ineligible this year. Takes team to Championship. Lolol

He's 49 ebbears.

EaglesPhan36

Withey will get drafted. Obviously tough to say now, but I think Kevin Young given development for 3-4 years is going to be a really good player.

This again to me is one of Self's best coaching jobs because this team really has no business being where they are right now. We can say whatever we want about their path here, but more often than not one of the NC game participants gets a couple breaks. People keep underestimating this team and will again on Monday. Not saying they will win, but they can stick with this club from a rebounding standpoint and they do match-up with them 5-on=5 in the starting lineup. UK beat them with good offense early in the year.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Matchup well? How do you figure? Kentucky is far more athletic than Kansas and kansas isn't significantly bigger than Kentucky and that's been their edge against a lot of teams. Withey basically came from out of nowhere and is a huge difference maker this year but I suspect he'll get beaten up against UK.

And to zoo youk, Ty Taylor was a third team all American....he might have flaws but most guys this day and age do.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    uh really? who? besides Thomas Robinson. the rest are all college role players who will never see a minute in the NBA. Taylor will be a draft pick but will be a disaster.
    Jeff Withey will definitely play in the NBA right now is supposed to go 2nd round but should be higher

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

Kansas has ZERO, yes 0, McD's AA's. Meanwhile UK has, what, 5 in their starting 5 alone?

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Jeff Withey will definitely play in the NBA right now is supposed to go 2nd round but should be higher
    are you serious? rofl....wow.

Mini19
    Mini19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

no ones gonna be able to compete with kentucky until they start recruting and encouraging the one and dones

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pitino had an easier bracket. KU has beaten two #1 seeds. Michigan State should not have been a #1 seed. Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mini19 View Post
    no ones gonna be able to compete with kentucky until they start recruting and encouraging the one and dones
    These guys will go to the NBA after one of two years. Calipari will always have a young inexperienced team full of talent. This doesn't equal a NC.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

It says a lot about the college game when a bunch of superstars from high school can come in and go right to number 1 in the country and be in the final four without another team coming within 10 points of them. Don't blame Cal, blame the other coaches for not recrutiing or coaching well enough to make Kentucky and Cal pay or just lose a few games.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Actually projected to be a 1st rounder....

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Let's talk about this great run they're on...

Theyve beaten three double digit seeds and then had a PG-less UNC team that struggled mightily against Ohio U in their other game without Marshall.

Today was a great comeback win...rest of their tournament run was...fortunate.
    KU's bracket was/is softer than UConn's bracket last season.

rm18
    Update your status

Withey is the best shot blocker in the country though not as good overall defensively as Anthony Davis

Pew Pew
    Banned
    Pew Pew's Avatar Become A Pro!

I remember No Coincidence saying Self is a turrrible coach. Where the fuuck are you now ya paranoid fuuck?

Ironman07
    Ironman07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7984

Just a quick thought... If Unibrow Davis tries to go up and block Thomas Robinson he will be looking for his arm the rest of the game.... in case you brows dont know Robinson has a legit 400+ bench and is the quickest big man in the country.. think he isnt a little teed off getting beat by a 210 string bean Unibrow for National POY.. Bring it on players.......

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Matchup well? How do you figure? Kentucky is far more athletic than Kansas and kansas isn't significantly bigger than Kentucky and that's been their edge against a lot of teams. Withey basically came from out of nowhere and is a huge difference maker this year but I suspect he'll get beaten up against UK.

And to zoo youk, Ty Taylor was a third team all American....he might have flaws but most guys this day and age do.
    Kentucky is always "too athletic" but that doesn't mean KU doesn't have players to match-up well against them. I think the PG battle is even. Taylor should be better than Teague due to his experience and he's quick as fukk, but he's been horrible for most of the tournament. He did a great job getting to the line against UK when he was shooting like ass, would like to see him to do that again and quit trying to hit anything outside the arc.

Johnson and Lamb, dead even. Both good shooters who can hit big shots. Lamb IMO should be a bigger factor in the UK offense, but he rarely is asked to be since UK is able to dominate teams inside.

Kidd-Gilchrist obviously a huge advantage against Relaford. Would expect Young to also see plenty of time on KG, but this is a match-up where KG should excel. He's also been MIA at times in this tournament though. He had two great games and three very average to below average games.

I think you pretty much pair the low post guys together since they will probably all guard each other at some point. Robinson/Withey v. Davis/Jones. Withey will be on Davis as long as fouls allow him to be. Robinson I would have to think will be on Jones to avoid foul trouble that plagued him in the 1st meeting. He has to play 30 minutes for KU to have any shot. Jones had a pretty solid game against KU and I think he's an X-factor. I give UK the edge in these match-ups, but I don't think it's by a wide margin. Any foul trouble could really change the face of the game involving these players. I hope the refs allow them to all play w/out any BS touch fouls, etc.

Obvious key as usual is limiting run outs for UK and vice versa. Most people said KU matched up poorly at every position against Ohio State from Craft to Thomas to Sullinger. I think their defense is vastly under rated for what it has done this tournament. Their D is the only reason they have made it this far. Doubtful they slow UK down enough, but if they can somehow force UK to shoot a few more jumpers and keep them limited in transition, they have a shot. Easier said than done of course, but it's not like this is a foregone conclusion that Kentucky is going to win.

Ironman07
    Ironman07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7984

Kentucky is always "too athletic" but that doesn't mean KU doesn't have players to match-up well against them. I think the PG battle is even. Taylor should be better than Teague due to his experience and he's quick as fukk, but he's been horrible for most of the tournament. He did a great job getting to the line against UK when he was shooting like ass, would like to see him to do that again and quit trying to hit anything outside the arc.

Johnson and Lamb, dead even. Both good shooters who can hit big shots. Lamb IMO should be a bigger factor in the UK offense, but he rarely is asked to be since UK is able to dominate teams inside.

Kidd-Gilchrist obviously a huge advantage against Relaford. Would expect Young to also see plenty of time on KG, but this is a match-up where KG should excel. He's also been MIA at times in this tournament though. He had two great games and three very average to below average games.

I think you pretty much pair the low post guys together since they will probably all guard each other at some point. Robinson/Withey v. Davis/Jones. Withey will be on Davis as long as fouls allow him to be. Robinson I would have to think will be on Jones to avoid foul trouble that plagued him in the 1st meeting. He has to play 30 minutes for KU to have any shot. Jones had a pretty solid game against KU and I think he's an X-factor. I give UK the edge in these match-ups, but I don't think it's by a wide margin. Any foul trouble could really change the face of the game involving these players. I hope the refs allow them to all play w/out any BS touch fouls, etc.

Obvious key as usual is limiting run outs for UK and vice versa. Most people said KU matched up poorly at every position against Ohio State from Craft to Thomas to Sullinger. I think their defense is vastly under rated for what it has done this tournament. Their D is the only reason they have made it this far. Doubtful they slow UK down enough, but if they can somehow force UK to shoot a few more jumpers and keep them limited in transition, they have a shot. Easier said than done of course, but it's not like this is a foregone conclusion that Kentucky is going to win.
    Eagles you have a great insight into this matchup.... You would have been a very good coach... All I know is a much older guy I know is hooked and blows his retirement check lately on baskets... I called him and he is deep in on Kentucky.. by the way he lost big on Ohio state last night....

rm18
    Update your status

Withey will probably play in the NBA longer than all those midgets from Iona combined

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman07 View Post
    Eagles you have a great insight into this matchup.... You would have been a very good coach... All I know is a much older guy I know is hooked and blows his retirement check lately on baskets... I called him and he is deep in on Kentucky.. by the way he lost big on Ohio state last night....
    Brock Landers?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

so is it safe to say kansas couldnt match up with kentucky?

not so fast bill self!

Illusivecone
    Illusivecone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Bill Self coached a hell of a game tonight

Kicked Calipari's all over the court

Wayyy too much paid talent at Kentucky