blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

10 points to first person if you can find documentation of this trivia question....

**if a mod/admin can supply a link with proof i will give them 100 points**

cause i sure as hell can't find it. i won't give out the answer but i am looking for a link to back it up as i think its complete BS.

"On what day was the first night-time college football game played under field lights?"

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

1892 Wyoming Seminary vs. Mansfield State Normal football game Wyoming Seminary (high school) Mansfield State Normal Mansfield, Pennsylvania 0–0 (tie) First nighttime football game played under lights. Game ended at halftime.[6]
    [
    second link (wikipedia)
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 07-22-14 at 10:46 AM.
    Points Awarded:

blackbeSSt gave LVHerbie 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

LVHerbie

Last edited by LVHerbie; 03-09-12 at 08:14 AM. Reason: ...

DrIn$entive
    DrIn$entive's Avatar Become A Pro!

The first night football game was played in Mansfield, Pennsylvania on September 28, 1892 between Mansfield State Normal and Wyoming Seminary. The world’s first night football game ended bitterly at halftime in a 0-0 tie.

blackbeSSt

according to the answer provided by sbr, you're both wrong.

eastern2
    eastern2's Avatar Become A Pro!

In 1893 at the Chicago's World Fair, the Chicago A. A. played a night football game against West Point. Chicago won the game 14-0. The game lasted 40 minutes.

DrIn$entive

http://www.1890sweekend.com/1892ftbl.htm

The revolutionary idea of a night football game started with a group of students who had played on Mansfield’s first football team a year earlier. Eager to showcase their new sport, they came up with the idea of playing a game in front of the crowds at the Great Mansfield Fair.

There is no accurate figure for the number of people who witnessed the game, but accounts in the local paper put the number between 18,000 and 20,000 on the grounds the following day.
    The talk of the fair was not football, however, but something never before seen in Tioga County, a glimpse into the future and to modernization – the electric light!
    Invented just 13 years earlier by Thomas A. Edison, this new wonder was brought to Mansfield by John L. Cummings and the General Electric Company. Word of the electric light coming to Mansfield was out long in advance of the event. Fair posters announced the demonstration as early as September 7th, when the Mansfield Advertiser reported "Normal school football enthusiasts are endeavoring to arrange a game to be played by electric light with the eleven from Wyoming Seminary, near Scranton."
    Professor Sprole, manager of the Mansfield team and Cummings arranged for the game to be played on Wednesday evening. Sprole reasoned that the crowd would be even larger to witness the first electric lights in Mansfield, since more people had heard of the electric light than of football.

The Game
    The 1892 game, scheduled for 7:30 p.m., actually started at 6:45 p.m., perhaps to take advantage of the few remaining moments of twilight.

Wyoming Seminary reports say at least some of the lights were posted on a pole in the middle of the field, adding a hazard to the already perilous sport. Other accounts say lights were also draped along the front of the grandstand.

The lighting was minimal and the teams were often unaware of which squad had the ball. Anyone in a uniform was liable to be tackled. The playing surface, also the site of many other events at the fair, was full of holes, butternuts, pebbles and "animal residue".

blackbeSSt

[QUOTE=eastern2;14062787]In 1893 at the Chicago's World Fair, the Chicago A. A. played a night football game against West Point. Chicago won the game 14-0. The game lasted 40 minutes.

not according to sbr!

mods please check in. this is a fukked up question with no correct answer.

Mjh702
    Mjh702's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

blackbeSSt

September 23, 1923 was the date sbr has as the correct answer.

50 points now if someone can find a link with that date showing as the answer.

LVHerbie

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    September 23, 1923 was the date sbr has as the correct answer.

50 points now if someone can find a link with that date showing as the answer.
    There have been other questions that have been wrong before... Have you tried PMing a mod, or email SBR, or using live chat rather then creating a thread and hoping one of them sees it?

BTW you owe me 10 points per the thread subject for the search you requested and I did for you...

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie View Post
    There have been other questions that have been wrong before... Have you tried PMing a mod, or email SBR, or using live chat rather then creating a thread and hoping one of them sees it?

BTW you owe me 10 points per the thread subject for the search you requested and I did for you...
    i asked for a link to back up the answer to sbr. but 5 points for the effort

and there needs to be awareness about questions with no answers so other people will know there are BS questions, hence the thread. i'll get my pm/chat on about it but just want to bring awareness to other posters
    Points Awarded:

LVHerbie gave blackbeSSt 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

LVHerbie

Keep the points and get ahold of SBR like I said in the info above and they will fix your problem...

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie View Post
    Keep the points and get ahold of SBR like I said in the info above and they will fix your problem...
    no answer on live chat

DrIn$entive

For College football, I only see games played on September 22nd and on September 24th 1923. None for Sep 23rd.

For NFL, I only see games on September 30th in the year 1923.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 07-22-14 at 10:47 AM.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by DrIn$entive View Post
    For College football, I only see games played on September 22nd and on September 24th 1923. None for Sep 23rd.

For NFL, I only see games on September 30th in the year 1923.
    dang there sure were a lot of blowouts in college football back then
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 07-22-14 at 10:47 AM.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Unless the choices included one of the seven days of the week, all the choices would be incorrect. The question should have used the word "date" and not "day." One of these days the person in charge of SBR Trivia is going to learn to use a person who uses the English language for a living so these inexcusable errors come to an end.
    Last edited by floridagolfer; 03-09-12 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    Unless the choices included one of the seven days of the week, all the choices would be incorrect. The question should have used the word "date" and not "day." One of these days the person in charge of SBR Trivia is going to learn to use a person who uses the English language for a living so these inexcusable errors come to an end.
    well i think where they went wrong was when they asked us users to submit questions and answers for points and didn't verify the answers

blackbeSSt

dax took care of it. but then i got a fukkin question about which banned sbr poster ran a shoestring bookmaking operation at sbr

damn you dax i know you set that up on purpose to make me bomb

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29946

well i think where they went wrong was when they asked us users to submit questions and answers for points and didn't verify the answers
    I agree with you about the sbr users writing questions. But this particular one pre-dates that change. I remember seeing this one referred to a long time ago.

BigOrange
    BigOrange's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5441

They got me with this one a few weeks ago as well.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

That's a good point. If you're going to accept questions and not check with for accuracy, you're going to get confusion.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350