oakas
    oakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17772

Josh Hamilton has Relapse

Posted at 08:54 AM ET, 02/03/2012
    Report: Josh Hamilton had relapse; Rangers “aware of a situation”
    By Cindy Boren

Josh Hamilton reportedly had a relapse Monday night in Dallas. (Tony Gutierrez / AP) Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton reportedly had a relapse in his struggle with addiction earlier this week in Dallas.

The Rangers said in a statement to the Dallas Morning News, which reported the relapse, that they are “aware of a situation, but we don’t have further comment at this time.”

Sources familiar with the episode told the Morning News that Hamilton drank alcohol Monday night at Sherlock's Pub & Grill. A Rangers teammate, Ian Kinsler, came to the bar to try to attempt to convince him to go home.

While playing in the Tampa Bay Rays organization, Hamilton, the 2010 American League MVP, was suspended for more than three years for drug and alcohol use, missing the entire 2004 and 2005 seasons. A roughly 3 1/2-year period of sobriety ended in January 2009 when he drank to excess in a Tempe, Ariz., bar. Shortly after that incident, Hamilton notified the Rangers and Major League Baseball of his relapse, passed a drug test and enrolled in a counseling program, at the insistence of MLB.

“I got away from the one thing that kept me on the straight and narrow, and that was my relationship with the Lord,” Hamilton said in 2009. “That should always come first. Hopefully some good will come out of this. It just crossed my mind that night, 'Can I have a drink?' Obviously I can't and this reinforces that. Since that night, I have not had another thought like that. I know it's something I shouldn't do because it leads to other things.”

The Rangers, who did not punish him for that slip, nonetheless have a “zero tolerance” policy toward Hamilton, who is tested three times a week for drug use. In addition, he has had an accountability partner, although that job presently is vacant. Hitting coach Johnny Narron was Hamilton’s support until he left for Milwaukee; Hamilton’s father-in-law was hired as a special assistant to help Hamilton, but he changed his mind, citing “family considerations.”

Hamilton’s teammates have been supportive, switching from champagne to ginger ale to celebrate division and American League titles. There was, however, concern for Hamilton last summer after an incident in which a fan was killed in a fall from the stands as he reached for a ball Hamilton had tossed toward spectators. Firefighter Shannon Stone died July 7, as his young son watched.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think he will be ok as long as it is not drugs

He better be...Texas needs him

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I sure hope he was pounding some PBR!

If you gonna drink, you gotta be classy

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trash article. The guy went to a bar. Saw the title on Yahoo this AM and thought he was back on the smack.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Texas prob has a private investigator tail him, that way if he ever starts to suck, they can release him without having to pay him the remainder of the contract via conduct clauses

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

life is a constant struggle

nothing wrong with having a couple beers, even if you're an "addict"

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Josh is a good guy
    Beloved in Texas
    My fav player

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

guy needs to stay straight as an arrow for 5 more years, then he can build a few mansions and get fuked up for the rest of his liver's short life.

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    life is a constant struggle

nothing wrong with having a couple beers, even if you're an "addict"
    Agree with 1st statement, but having a few beers can be a gateway to bigger and worse habits. Some addicts might get away with it, but many will go all in into addiction again.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Its just a fukkin beer ot two

Leave the man be

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I'm torn here. Part of me says leave him be, he's hurting no one but himself.

The other part says "why does this guy seem to get more leeway than other "addicts."

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10476

he needs a drink sometime , to cut the edge off