dom75
    dom75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 511

What would you do in this situation ?

I am in a delima here and am wondering what others would do in this particular situation. Here is what is going on.... I work new construction and had been laid off from this company for a while until a few weeks ago. I was called back to help another tech out on a construction project. Now this company's main office at 4 hrs away, so no one from the company is here in town except for me and my co-worker, as we both live here in town. Now in all honesty this job we are doing is really a one man job, and I was a bit confused why they'd call me back to work to help this other tech out, as he says he was falling behind. Come to find out, before I was hired back on, this guy would come in and work one or two days a week and take off the rest of the time. He'd claim he worked 40 or more hrs a week, even though he is sitting at home fiddle fartin around. I have been to work each and every day, and my co-worker has not. There are days he comes in sits around for an hr or so and goes home, and other days he just doesn't even come in period. Though he is claiming 40 hrs a week. When I was brought back on, our portion of the job was behind, and is still behind. We are to be working together and that is not happening at all. He has been telling the construction manager that portions of the job are done, even though they aren't and that puts me even more under pressure. I am rushing soo much right now to get the job done that now I am making mistakes in my work and having to go back and redo my job correctly. I am to the point of wanting to say something to the company, but then again, I am not sure if I should. This guy is a family friend of the company, and they have had problems with him in the past that cost him his job. I want to say something to my boss, as I know that if and when I get caught up on this job, I'll be laid off once again. If I say something then I am sure they'd let my co-worker go, and keep me on. However, I don't want to say anything as he is a friend of the company and I am sure he'd find out that it was me who turned him in. I kinda just figure he'd screw up sometime and be caught in a lie or be caught missing work and claiming he worked.

What would you do ?

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would have a talk with your fellow co-worker and tell him that he has to start carrying his weight. He's fukking you big time. Your reputation is on the line, and I would strongly confront him before you did anything else.
    Last edited by john230; 01-26-12 at 03:44 PM.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would go to the boss...Rat that motherfukker out.

Now if he didn't tell the boss that you kept fukking up and he had to redo your work, then I'd have a sit down with the co-worker.

But if that co-worker is fine with trying to get you possibly fired and he is lying, then you should have no problem being honest with the boss man.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

I own my own new construction company. I understand completely.
    The company knows full well that he is a screw up. Tell them exactly what you said. Tell the truth. If they want you great, if not, you are no worse off. All this freeloader will do is make you look bad, pull your reputation down with him and you will work twice as hard only to lose in the long run.

I've seen this plenty of times before.

What do you do? Low voltage stuff?

chrisp625
    chrisp625's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd give him up. Him working doesn't pay your bills and more importantly cover your gambling addiction.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

What would he do in your situation?

He'd go to your boss faster than you can image.

dom75

In regards to redoing my work, I was the one that redid it. In a months period of time, this dude has only been at the job site maybe 24 -30 hrs at the most.

STR --- yes it is low volt

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

fuk him

in theory john230's advice is okay but in reality this guys just looking for a free ride and isn't gonna let anyone fuk it up if he can help it....if you tell him to pick up the pace then he's just as likely to throw you under the bus as he is to pick up the pace

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Quote Originally Posted by dom75 View Post
    In regards to redoing my work, I was the one that redid it. In a months period of time, this dude has only been at the job site maybe 24 -30 hrs at the most.

STR --- yes it is low volt

Guy is making you look bad but worse still , he is using you. Any builder knows how long that work takes. Tell them the story. Believe me, they already know the deal.

Best of Luck.

Hurls
    Hurls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

cut a deal with the guy, tell him your gonna screw him if he doesnt go along with it, you both come in 3 days a week work one of them together to get caught up then he takes two days off and you take two days off and both get to claim 40 hrs and if he wont do that then fuk him over.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

You don't sound desperate enough for work to rat him out..................yet. Just go with the flow right now and rat him out when YOU get desperate enough. You guys won't be able to co exist, so go as long as you can without ruffling feathers, because in the end only one of you will have a job.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Do the world a favor and rig something to take him out in an "accident". You're a smart guy, you can think up something clever.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

what are your hours?

you are working working working yet at 3:00 central in the afternoon you are posting here?

stay late, go in early - be the better man!

dom75

Hurls ..... I did try to cut a deal with the guy within the first week. Every week it is the same thing... '' man I know I haven't been here, just been too lazy... Next week i'll help you. ''

STR...... I did talk with one of the builders the other day, and he noticed that this guy was barely there since I came into the picture. He found it mind boggling that this guy complained he needed help... Then I get bought in to help and now he no shows. I believe he called the company I work for and said something to my bosses. My co worker came in the next day saying he got his butt chewed out the previous day over the phone. ofcourse he works for 2 days and misses today n tomorrow.

Plus573
    It's Miller Time
    Plus573's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

I would make damn sure that company knew that the work they are having done was thanks to one person, you. I would also let them know how hard you are working to keep up with the level of work demanded. It isn't your duty to protect this lazyass - you don't owe him anything. In fact, he is making your life harder. The only person you need to protect is yourself in this situation. Just approach the matter with a level head, don't get angry, but be sincere about the situation. If the company doesn't respond in the correct manner, you are better of with someone else anyways. I'm sure this guy would be talking to his friends in the company the first week if this situation was reversed.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

I'd bang his wife

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

You'll have to do something unless you expect him to suddenly man up and start pulling his weight.

Confront the guy or go behind his back and rat him out.

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

give me or someone like me 1000. dollars and your problem is gone.