thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

how many guys here wont bet totals?

have a friend who refuses to bet them on any sport. i said it cuts your options in half, and honestly i seem to find more value in totals in many sports. honestly i dont think hes ever liked a favorite giving more then 5 points in basketball or a td in football, thats another issue for another day.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

what's the difference? you still have the same 50% chance to win whether you bet the spread or total

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

i will not bet totals usually. the only sport i will is soccer which i like more then a side. I absolutly will never bet a total and a team in the game. Nothing worse then have a under 8 runs in baseball and a team in that game and the team goes down 4-1 and you know you cant win even if they come back

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by pattymayo View Post
    what's the difference? you still have the same 50% chance to win whether you bet the spread or total
    hes not winning is the problem, if he was winning on sides only, then it wouldnt matter. if its broke, it should be fixed.

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

I love baseball totals.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

i tend to gravitate more to totals myself in low scoring type sports like soccer, hockey, and baseball moreso then sides. will definitely still play them in football and basketball, especially nba.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

I've learned that picking short faves or short dogs is one of, if not the, hardest ways to go about betting sports.

You have to know the teams inside and out and know every slight edge a side may have or not have when it comes to short lines. Very difficult. Every sport is different, but in general...

Business3587
    Business3587's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like to take totals, but I RARELY ever take an Under. I dont know why, its just a phobia I suppose.

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

I bet TOTALS in hockey and baseball but pretty much stay away from them in everything else. I've tried to develop a program or crack the code for TOTALS in basketball and football with very little success. There is always a couple games during the season that leap off the page at me but for the most part I stay away from them.

I know some guys that specialize in TOTALS and hats off to them but they aren't my cup of tea.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

i havent bet an under in like 2 years.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by Business3587 View Post
    I like to take totals, but I RARELY ever take an Under. I dont know why, its just a phobia I suppose.
    this is a bad habit IMO. u need to have an open mind going into games. guys like to bet overs cuz they can get "lucky".

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Speak for yourself,the only time I will bet a total is when it has ridiculous RLM and makes to the top ten list...........

pattymayo

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    this is a bad habit IMO. u need to have an open mind going into games. guys like to bet overs cuz they can get "lucky".
    Most people just starting out betting love the overs. I guess it's the fear of betting the under and watching the game and just seeing points after points and the fact that your under bet could be toast with 10min left in the 4th quarter.

I've noticed a lot too in Team Totals and Props, most people tend to take the Over before even considering the under

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

in before someone fellates ras

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

have a friend who refuses to bet them on any sport. i said it cuts your options in half, and honestly i seem to find more value in totals in many sports. honestly i dont think hes ever liked a favorite giving more then 5 points in basketball or a td in football, thats another issue for another day.

Yeah I hate laying big numbers in BBall and football because I don't like the late cover against you. Nothing more frustrating than watching the team you bet on celebrating a win, while you lost your bet against the spread because of a meaningless score. I rather lose a total this way(Like last night in Jazz game) than on a side.

pattymayo

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Speak for yourself,the only time I will bet a total is when it has ridiculous RLM and makes to the top ten list...........
    ?

You make a bet on the Under 196.5
    Either you
    a) win the bet
    b) lose the bet

50 percent chance to win

You make a bet on Spurs -2.5
    Either you
    a) win the bet
    b) lose the bet

Same chances to win.. I guess guys just feel like a backdoor is more likely when playing Totals, like some garbage points or late fouling

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Most people just starting out betting love the overs. I guess it's the fear of betting the under and watching the game and just seeing points after points and the fact that your under bet could be toast with 10min left in the 4th quarter. I've noticed a lot too in Team Totals and Props, most people tend to take the Over before even considering the under
    i think you hit the nail on the head. they dont want to have an under 50 in football and see it be 24-21 going to the 4th quarter. they would rather have over 50 and see it be 10-10 and going to the 4th quarter and start talking themselves into overtime, cheap points and other crazy shit.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Funny, I rarely bet sides. Not that I won't do it, but I prefer totals.

PAULYPOKER

? You make a bet on the Under 196.5 Either you a) win the bet b) lose the bet 50 percent chance to win You make a bet on Spurs -2.5 Either you a) win the bet b) lose the bet Same chances to win.. I guess guys just feel like a backdoor is more likely when playing Totals, like some garbage points or late fouling
    I focus all my time mostly on ATS or ML's,very seldom on totals so with that said my ATS/ML plays have abetter than 50% chance to win because of effort while because the lack of experience I have with totals I only have a 50% chance of winning.........

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

I suck at totals so I generally won't bet them, I think it has something to do with how I learned to bet. I thought myself to bet playing proline back in the day which only had sides and to this day even though I know a lot more I still bet using the same basic premises I did back then and it don't really crossover to betting totals.

Heres my last 481 picks

Sides 240-202 +$5604
    Totals 18-21 -$1395

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Obviously a silly concept especially when you consider the fact that the total market is much more exploitable than the side market especially in ncaa hoops.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

An edge is an edge...

pattymayo

i think you hit the nail on the head. they dont want to have an under 50 in football and see it be 24-21 going to the 4th quarter. they would rather have over 50 and see it be 10-10 and going to the 4th quarter and start talking themselves into overtime, cheap points and other crazy shit.
    Plus, when people bet a game, they want a vested interest in the entire game. No gambler likes declaring their bet dead at halftime or midway through the 3rd quarter. I think that's also why most people bet sides, because there's always that chance that a team makes a late comeback, wild turnover, etc etc.

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    An edge is an edge...

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I like team totals... especially cbb

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

action guys, like this one im talking about, want the thrill of a game for the whole entirety of a game. i really think thats why he wont bet on them. once a game hits the preset number, its done, whether you have the over or under. i understand how some guys are coming in here saying they are better at sides then totals and i understand that completely, im saying this guy completely refuses to acknowledge they exist, scoresandodds or wherever it may be might as well not even put them out in his opinion.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLeafOfBets View Post
    I like team totals... especially cbb
    If I had a gun to my head to place a bet on a total tonight, it would be Rider/Iona Ov 164...............