wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

the REAL reason why the american economy is fuked

and it has NOTHING to do with paying someone in china two dollars an hour

Pope: America’s Dirty War Against Manufacturing (P. 1)

Illustration by Tomi Um
    By Carl Pope Jan 17, 2012 4:00 PM PT 30 Comments Q

inShare
    46More Print Email
    “I’d love to make this product in America. But I’m afraid I won’t be able to.”
    My host, a NASA engineer turned Silicon Valley entrepreneur, has just conducted a fascinating tour of his new clean-energy bench-scale test facility. It’s one of the Valley’s hottest clean-technology startups. And he’s already thinking of going abroad.
    “Wages?” I ask.
    His dark eyebrows arch as if I were clueless, then he explains the reality of running a fab -- an electronics fabrication factory. “Wages have nothing to do with it. The total wage burden in a fab is 10 percent. When I move a fab to Asia, I might lose 10 percent of my product just in theft.”
    I’m startled. “So what is it?”
    “Everything else. Taxes, infrastructure, workforce training, permits, health care. The last company that proposed a fab on Long Island went to Taiwan because they were told that in a drought their water supply would be in the queue after the golf courses.”
    So begins my education on the hollowing-out of the American economy, which might be titled: “It’s not the wages, stupid.”
    Manufacturing’s share of U.S. employment peaked in 1979 and has since fallen by almost half. Although manufacturing has been a relative bright spot in the dismal economy of the past couple of years, in the last decade, the U.S. lost a third of its manufacturing jobs, with the damage rippling far beyond that base to erode millions of jobs that are dependent on it.
    Tomorrow’s Losses
    The loss of textile, shoe and toy production to low-wage competitors such as China, and now Cambodia, has devastated a few regions, particularly South Carolina. But the loss of yesterday’s manufacturing isn’t the really painful part: It’s losing tomorrow’s manufacturing: automobiles, electronics, metal fabrication, specialty chemicals, appliances and consumer electronics.
    Those industries left the U.S. in search not of cheaper workers, but of more supportive governments. If the U.S. lost manufacturing due to high wages (or unions, labor laws, regulation -- the other commonly cited villains), how do you explain the manufacturing success of Germany and Japan? Germany, the world’s pre-eminent high-end manufacturing economy, has higher wages, stronger unions and stricter labor laws than the U.S. Japan, too, is a high-wage competitor, yet Toyota Motor Corp. still makes 60 percent of its vehicles there. General Motors Co. makes only about 30 percent in North America.
    So if wages aren’t to blame, what is?
    Policy. But is U.S. government policy really hostile to manufacturing?
    Sadly, yes. Take tax policy. Historically, manufacturing was the high-wage sector of the economy -- manufacturing jobs still pay about 30 percent more than service jobs in education and health care -- so tax policy milked it. Manufacturing companies, in the old days, actually paid the corporate income taxes that many others avoided. Commodity producers (oil, timber, agribusiness) lobbied for, and received, federal subsidies, with investors in oil and gas wells simply voiding corporate income taxes on the profits they earned. Banking, retail and services found their own ways around taxes, often by offshoring intellectual property or shifting profit to tax havens. Eventually, manufacturers figured out how to duck taxes as well -- by going overseas.
    Varying Regulations
    Yet it isn’t just taxes. Wind turbines, for example, are enormous, heavy and expensive to transport -- so there is a big advantage to fabricating them close to the installation point. But consider the predicament of the Spanish wind manufacturer Gamesa Corporacion Tecnologica SA after it began operations in Pennsylvania. Because the George W. Bush administration’s Department of Transportation wouldn’t establish uniform standards for transporting the enormous turbine blades, each state followed its own rules. Whenever a blade crossed a state line it had to be unloaded by a construction crane and then reloaded to conform to the next state’s specifications.
    Similar policy failures explain why Minnesota’s Port of Duluth exports iron ore to China and imports wind turbines from Europe. On the way to China, the ore freighters pass Chicago; Gary, Indiana; Cleveland; and Buffalo, New York -- cities where steel could be made and turned into turbine towers. But the U.S. wind market is too small, and the government too focused elsewhere, to make it profitable.
    And that Long Island golf-course story? Not unique to New York. During the 1991 California drought, Silicon Valley’s electronics manufacturers were warned by Governor Pete Wilson that the state might have to shut off their water supply. Agriculture, Wilson said, came first. When I asked a Silicon Valley lobbyist in Sacramento if he had quietly received assurances that California would prioritize 21st-century computer chips over 19th-century alfalfa, he said he hadn’t. In fact, he said, some plant expansions initially planned for Silicon Valley were being diverted to Oregon to secure access to water.
    In 1991, it was Oregon. Today, it’s Asia. Conventional wisdom blames globalization for the exodus of factories and jobs. Because other countries pay lower wages, the thinking goes, there is nothing we can, or even should, do about it. But the evidence of Germany and Japan -- and the experience of manufacturers in the U.S. -- tells a very different story.
    We are not victims of an impersonal Leviathan called “globalization.” We’re the suckers who allowed our government to sacrifice the manufacturing sector while protecting the real winners: commodities, intellectual property, finance and agribusiness. The U.S. didn’t lose its manufacturing leadership; it threw it away.
    In the next two parts of this series, I’ll discuss how that happened and what we can do about it.
    (Carl Pope is a former chairman of the Sierra Club. The opinions expressed are his own.)
    To contact the writer on this story: Carl Pope at carl.pope@sierraclub.org
    To contact the editor responsible for this story: Francis Wilkinson at fwilkinson1@bloomberg.net.
    Want to save this for later? Add it to your Queue!

wtf

part two, please read this and open your eyes;

Pope: America’s Dirty War Against Manufacturing (Pt 2)

Illustration by Tomi Um
    By Carl Pope Jan 18, 2012 4:00 PM PT Comments Q

inShare
    13More Print Email
    So who really lost Detroit? Why did the U.S. auto industry’s domestic market share decline from 71.1 percent in 1998 to 44.8 percent in 2009? Why does the U.S. now produce fewer cars than China? And what does this story tell us about the overall causes of decline in American manufacturing?
    The conventional wisdom is that wages and union contracts simply made American cars too expensive. During the auto- industry collapse of 2008, the news media bombarded the public with data about how much higher labor costs are in Detroit factories compared with those in non-unionized Southern states. The New York Times reported, for example, that at GM “the average worker was paid about $70 an hour.”
    Trouble is, that figure was wrong.
    In 2007, the average hourly wage in a unionized Detroit auto plant was $29. The average hourly wage in a non-unionized Toyota plant in Kentucky? $30. In Japan, Toyota paid assembly- line workers about $22 an hour. True, that’s less expensive. But when you consider that wages make up about 10 percent of a car’s cost, it becomes clear that wages are not the reason for Detroit’s struggles.
    As for that $70-an-hour figure, it’s the sum of the hourly wage plus the cost of retiree health-care benefits and pensions. U.S. auto companies have carried these costs like a ball and chain.
    Society’s Burdens
    Detroit for years complained that, unlike German and Japanese competitors, it couldn’t make money on small cars. But U.S. automakers never explained why. As automation and competition shrank Detroit’s workforce, its labor costs didn’t shrink with it. Not because of wages, but because of retiree health care and pensions -- burdens that are borne by society, not manufacturing plants, in every other advanced country. That disparity, the result of policy decisions made in Washington rather than wages negotiated by the United Auto Workers, was the source of most of the labor-cost advantage enjoyed by foreign companies.
    That wasn’t all that went wrong in Detroit, of course. A decade ago I met with then-UAW President Steve Yokich to urge him to partner with environmentalists and automakers to develop fuel-efficient vehicles that could compete with those from Japan and Germany. Yokich took me to the window of his office in Solidarity House. Pointing outside, he said, “What do you notice about the parking lot?”
    “They’re all American vehicles?” I answered.
    “Look again. Almost no SUVs. My guys know crap when they make it.”
    Yokich understood Detroit’s ruthlessly short-term business model -- put lots of cheap sheet metal on an outmoded truck chassis and layer on a gargantuan markup. He conceded that Nissan and Daimler would soon start making fuel-efficient, technologically sophisticated SUVs that would steal that market segment, too. Japanese companies were more innovative in part because they enjoyed much cheaper capital; the real interest rate in Japan, suffering through its lost decade, was 0 percent. But for the Big Three, the SUVs being designed in Tokyo and Stuttgart would be “next year’s problem.”
    Bob Lutz, the former head of GM, says it was neither uncompetitive wages nor unions that drove the Big Three into decline. It was a management with its eye focused on the bottom line and the short term. That, he says, is the “creeping malignancy that transformed the once powerful, world-dominating, American economy from one that produced and exported to one that trades and imports.”
    Trade Deal Effects
    When federal fuel-economy rules required Detroit automakers to produce some fuel-efficient cars, they decided to make them in places like Mexico because two decades of trade deals, under Republicans and Democrats, protected American banks, agriculture, drug companies and Hollywood -- but not manufacturing. (Gas-guzzling trucks, intriguingly, continued to enjoy tariff protection -- one reason Detroit made so many.)
    The final nail in Detroit’s coffin was also hammered by Washington. It was gasoline priced at almost $4 a gallon. For decades, the U.S. government let the Saudis manipulate the market -- periodically flooding it with cheap oil to discourage the U.S. from making serious efforts to reduce our demand for oil, which, ironically, is the only way to ensure cheap oil. The auto industry treated oil spikes as a routine market perturbation, ignoring the possibility that gasoline might permanently become more expensive. When global demand pushed gas beyond $2.50 a gallon, bankruptcy soon came barreling toward Detroit.
    The forces that devastated U.S. auto manufacturing undermined industry after industry: steel, tires, televisions, computers, home appliances. All suffered from dubious tax policy, legacy health-care costs, trade negotiators who put overseas investors ahead of Midwestern factories, inadequate workforce training, decaying infrastructure. Manufacturing employment, which had climbed steadily since World War II, suddenly began declining in 1980.
    The financial crisis that began in 2008 transformed decline into collapse. In the first 18 months of the crisis, more than 2 million jobs -- 15 percent of remaining manufacturing employment -- were lost. Very few have come back. Meanwhile, U.S. wages had been falling relative to those in Germany and Japan.
    Former Intel CEO Andy Grove warns that the whole “scaling” process by which innovation led to mass production has broken down in the U.S. As he put it in a 2010 essay in Bloomberg Businessweek, “How America Can Create Jobs,” both politicians and business leaders bought into a “general undervaluing of manufacturing -- the idea that as long as ‘knowledge work’ stays in the U.S., it doesn’t matter what happens to factory jobs.”
    Lack of Commitment
    Even when the federal government made attempts at a smart manufacturing jobs policy, it lacked commitment. The research and development tax credit, first passed 30 years ago, has never enjoyed permanent status. It has expired once and been extended for short periods 15 times. Taxpayers pay for the credit, and lose the revenue, but companies don’t build factories to take advantage of it because they can’t be sure it will be around by the time a factory is complete.
    Likewise, some U.S. CEOs told themselves they were leading global corporations; it didn’t matter if they made their stuff in Detroit or Shanghai. They bet on one version of globalism. It turned out the Chinese had a very different idea. Cars are indeed being made in Shanghai, but increasingly by companies led by executives named ** or Chen.
    Conservatives in Congress like to say that government shouldn’t pick winners and losers. Yet for three decades the U.S. government picked manufacturing to be a loser -- time and time again putting the interests of favored industries ahead of factories and the people who work in them.
    It’s not too late. The U.S. is still one of the two largest manufacturing countries in the world, and manufacturing is the bright spot in our export picture. But we must recognize that if public policy consistently shortchanges manufacturing, a broad- based recovery of the American middle class will remain beyond our reach. In the next part of this series, I’ll discuss how to bring U.S. manufacturing back.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Paragraphs would have an added effect of wanting to read the thread.

My eyes hurt reading all that small print so close together, common.

Jonah
    Jonah's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sad State. Out best companies go overseas. Many good doctors are just plain fed up and are retiring due to current system... This is America - where our best players have always led the way and "carried" the team...We have effectively benched our best players so that everyone can play... It hurts to look at the scoreboard now.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

i feel like i want to throw up when i see that this thread isnt getting any responses.

i really hope thats because of how long it is or maybe it's not linked to PT or something; this is absolutely correct and it is NOT an opinion. (although it does have Something to do with"cheap" l abor opportunities also.)

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16711

The key is for government to get out of the way Ron Paul has been saying this for decades
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

Glitch

i disagree with Dr. Paul there. i feel like we shouldnt get rid of the department of education (you know because people need all them book lernins and whatnot) instead- if he feels it is flawed- improve it. if you would like it to delegate power to the individual states- then do that. if he feels they are wasting money on things then spend it elsewhere.

listen to how much ron paul stutters and dances around when he says the word corporatism. paul or romney would be good in some very measurable ways for big business and they romney would be better than paul for small businesses.

ron paul paraphrase: "capitalism is very different from corporatism *insert porky pig noises*"

then notice that he doesnt render an opinion on corporatism (in its most commonly negatively connotative form)

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

Why is it bad for companies to manufacturer overseas?

American's shouldn't be in these shitty jobs

Future of America is trading in financial markets and computer programming

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by big0mar View Post
    I bet those pesky Indians will have something to say about the computer programming ;0)

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by big0mar View Post
    Why is it bad for companies to manufacturer overseas?

American's shouldn't be in these shitty jobs

there are many people who would very much prefer to have a shitty job than no job. however- they are constantly told that no jobs are available.

it is bad because
    1. it takes jobs elsewhere
    2. shipping costs are very important. if we cut these way down, the savings would be passed down to the consumers.

making the computers here would not prevent us from being able to program them or use them to run trend-tracking software.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

shipping the jobs out and shipping the savages in = end of the US

say hello to "Return of the Planet of the Apes" or whatever that movie was called

Glitch

saves the businesses you mean. yes. that is what this thread is about- that is why businesses are doing it.

we dont need to ship in "the savages" there are plenty of willing hard-working blue-collar workers who would love a factory job paying 25 dollars an hour.

however you have to balance that with jobs. (yes i realize your brain functions at a very low capacity baskets but please try your best to understand this)

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    i disagree with Dr. Paul there. i feel like we shouldnt get rid of the department of education (you know because people need all them book lernins and whatnot) instead- if he feels it is flawed- improve it. if you would like it to delegate power to the individual states- then do that. if he feels they are wasting money on things then spend it elsewhere.

listen to how much ron paul stutters and dances around when he says the word corporatism. paul or romney would be good in some very measurable ways for big business and they romney would be better than paul for small businesses.

ron paul paraphrase: "capitalism is very different from corporatism *insert porky pig noises*"

then notice that he doesnt render an opinion on corporatism (in its most commonly negatively connotative form)

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

They are interesting articles and maybe even based on some truth. But, one thing confuses me, how in light of those articles can you explain the tremendous come back of GM and even Ford. Doesn't seem to fly with those articles. GM just recently became the largest car manufacturer in the world--again. Seems to contradict the guts of at least the first article.

Hardly ever any real answers that answer the whole question completely. If GM can make an incredible come back in our country with some serious changes that they implemented I think those articles must be taken with the proverbial grain.

nick86
    nick86's Avatar Become A Pro!

The obvious reason America is sinking down fast the shithole is due the trillions of dollars spent on the military to police the world. If this does not change America is done for good, id bet anyone a MILLION dollars if i had it. Ron Paul is the only candidate that ever made sense.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    The key is for government to get out of the way Ron Paul has been saying this for decades
    Watch documentaries about Enron...or Inside Job...or Gasland...then tell me the Ron Paul "hands off and let the market police itself" mantra works when it's your company stock that you're partly relying on for retirement, your mortgage next to 30 houses under foreclosure (because they should never have been given mortgages), or your tap water that's filled with cancer causing chemicals (yes, my sister in Colorado now gets her water trucked in because her well water is literally flammable - but it's "unrelated" the wells)

Glitch

just watched this in its entirety just now philly but please post some words and/or timestamps to go with it as well. yes i read the video title.

1. he is singing a much different tune now than he was preaching at about 5 minutes saying corporations getting special benefits is the problem. he is Specifically just talking about stimulus and supporting toxic assets And forgets how short-sighted he is in his word choice.

-he now would like to give tax breaks and deregulation to businesses on the state level. (yes he is still for cleaning up financials as well)

your video:
    he is talking about capitalism and spending and mentioning that he doesnt want the poor to suffer. (all political stuff)
    -he is just speaking out against the military industrial complex and overspending as always.
    -he is just saying that he wants to get rid of the fed.

4:00 he starts to actually speak about corporatism and he stutters, pauses and ends his speech.

about a minute later, he also wraps up saying he is speaking out against corporatism right as he ends his speech on that talk show. literally all he says is he is speaking out against it (after pointing out some people who have some problems

yes he says he is against corporatism, but he was too stupid to realize that he was only against it in it's negative connotation. he does support it and so do i. he just doesnt want to talk about it. yes he'll mention it but he does not want to talk about it.

Glitch

now lets get this ron paul shit out of here unless it has to do with creating jobs and manufacturing. still no responses to the very real and important subject of manufacturing within US borders.

there are responses here now but sadly they are just ron paul zombies. there are other threads for that if its not about jobs and exporting. (of course not trying to tell anyone not to respond)

milkncereal
    milkncereal's Avatar Become A Pro!

enron was illegal. Ron paul would use the sec and other organizations to go after a criminal entity. You're comparing something way different

milkncereal

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    They are interesting articles and maybe even based on some truth. But, one thing confuses me, how in light of those articles can you explain the tremendous come back of GM and even Ford. Doesn't seem to fly with those articles. GM just recently became the largest car manufacturer in the world--again. Seems to contradict the guts of at least the first article. Hardly ever any real answers that answer the whole question completely. If GM can make an incredible come back in our country with some serious changes that they implemented I think those articles must be taken with the proverbial grain.

the us car industry has changed up its business model in the last 5, maybe ten years. It takes some time for r&d to actually make some $$. Look at the chevy volt, gm knew it needed it, it just took them for ever to actually get it from paper to production.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by milkncereal View Post
    enron was illegal. Ron paul would use the sec and other organizations to go after a criminal entity. You're comparing something way different
    If you think Ron Paul would empower agencies like the SEC - we see a very different Ron Paul.

Ron Paul has historically answered questions about companies who cheat, pollute or even kill with the answer that the courts will and should be used to deal with them.

So if you're ready to army up with lawyers to take ConEd to court, rather than have a government agency/watchdog in place to tackle them, then by all means try that route.

milkncereal

Yes he hates the SEC, the fed, our monetary system, etc but the SEC could not be killed if he was president and i believe he would make sure that they were more responsible for stopping enrons and bernie maddoff's of the world.

If he would sit back and let enron do its damage first, then attack in the courts well that is a big flaw in my mind.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

gov. system...welfare

eat to much...free

health problems...medicare

tony_come

Second, Immigration

tony_come

third, having too much kids

and cant paid for them

Glitch

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    gov. system...welfare
    eat to much...free
    health problems...medicare
    well these are some very real problems but how do you solve them? jobs and training. well how do you create jobs? manufacturing and distributing. when it is easier to get jobs and employment prospects are in demand- more people will be employed.

you need transitional welfare-to-work programs that teach people how to break these expensive cycles and enter the workforce. it will be much easier for everyone to get jobs once there are more jobs around. you won't have to worry about 'affirmative action' or anything like that because all these opportunities would return to america in abundance.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    Watch documentaries about Enron...or Inside Job...or Gasland...then tell me the Ron Paul "hands off and let the market police itself" mantra works when it's your company stock that you're partly relying on for retirement, your mortgage next to 30 houses under foreclosure (because they should never have been given mortgages), or your tap water that's filled with cancer causing chemicals (yes, my sister in Colorado now gets her water trucked in because her well water is literally flammable - but it's "unrelated" the wells)

Yep, these people that think corporations don't need to be watched and re-watched well they live in a twilight zone.

Same exact thing happening in NE PA right now. Fracking has probably destroyed the water supply for a bunch of people and it is now being carted in by the fed after the state said there is no problem. Those people think there is a real problem.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

An episode like this happening to your family might very quickly change one from a R to a D. When it is happening to other people it is okay, but when it happens to you or yours it isn't so okay any longer.

tony_come

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    well these are some very real problems but how do you solve them? jobs and training. well how do you create jobs? manufacturing and distributing. when it is easier to get jobs and employment prospects are in demand- more people will be employed.

you need transitional welfare-to-work programs that teach people how to break these expensive cycles and enter the workforce. it will be much easier for everyone to get jobs once there are more jobs around. you won't have to worry about 'affirmative action' or anything like that because all these opportunities would return to america in abundance.
    we cant solve this...period

wtf

part 3 of four

Pope: America’s Dirty War Against Manufacturing (P. 3)

Illustration by Tomi Um
    By Carl Pope Jan 19, 2012 4:00 PM PT 41 Comments Q

inShare
    8More Print Email
    “I am told I cannot talk about industrial policy in polite American company,” Dow Chemical Co. Chief Executive Officer Andrew Liveris told a business audience last March. “I’m not sure why, since the world’s two strongest economies, Germany and Japan, both have such policies.”
    Liveris has just published a book, “Make It in America,” the theme of which is that we can, and must, return manufacturing to American shores. The key insight, he said, is this: “Companies cannot compete with countries. Only countries can compete with countries.”
    Liveris is part of an emerging consensus that includes New Economy business gurus such as former Intel Corp. CEO Andy Grove, whose essay on the need to rejuvenate manufacturing, “How America Can Create Jobs” is a seminal document. The gospel is infiltrating Silicon Valley, where investors such as Vinod Khosla and his former partners at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers are believers. It has been embraced by the American labor movement, including AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka, United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard, Teamsters’ head Jimmy Hoffa and former Service Employees International Union President Andy Stern.
    Liveris’s analysis is bolstered by former General Motors Co. Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, Honeywell International Inc. CEO David Cote and ArcelorMittal’s U.S. CEO Michael Rippey. A growing number of public officials, such as former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell, have come to see manufacturing as the key to economic revival and jobs. Remarkably, there is a fair amount of agreement among this group on the policies necessary to achieve that.
    So why isn’t it happening?
    Partisan Shots
    Ideology, for one. A national industrial policy is anathema to many conservatives. When solar-panel maker Solyndra LLC went bankrupt after receiving $535 million in federal loan guarantees, opponents of industrial policy eagerly cooked the failure into a “scandal.” The attack was not only a partisan shot against the Obama administration, which had signed off on the loans. It was intended to preempt and disqualify federal support for manufacturing in the future.
    Although conservatives condemn the notion of a national manufacturing policy, they embrace similar policies on the state level. Daimler AG’s Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai Motor Co. and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG have all been courted by Southern states dangling tax breaks and industrial policies. Governor Rick Perry’s manufacturing-friendly policies in Texas served as the core of his appeal to Republican primary voters. And at the close of the Wall Street Journal conference where Liveris was criticized for his embrace of industrial policy, then-Governor Haley Barbour boasted for an hour of the robustness of Mississippi’s industrial policy. Yet the same participants who had lambasted Liveris posed no objections to Barbour.
    Why do we have such a difficult time recognizing that, as Liveris puts it, individual companies (or states) cannot compete effectively with nations such as China, India or Germany?
    There are at least two reasons. First, for the Tea Party and its financial backers, like the Koch brothers, weakening the federal government is ideologically more important than strengthening the national economy; if a unified, competitive national economy requires a strong, powerful federal government, the trade-off is not worth it to them. Second, the political leaders who shape federal economic policy are responsive to the sectors that have mastered lobbying -- oil, agribusiness, finance and drug companies. Manufacturing for decades has been left to take care of itself.
    Fantasy Economy
    Yet the notion of a strong economy without strong manufacturing is a fantasy. “We cannot remain the world’s engine of innovation without manufacturing activity,” the president’s National Science Board reported this month. The number of high-tech manufacturing jobs in the U.S. declined 28 percent between 2000 and 2010, according to the report. It attributed the “erosion” of U.S. leadership in part to investment in education and research by Asian governments.
    Other sectors can’t replace the employment and wages of manufacturing. Commodity production no longer generates enough employment -- automation in agriculture and mining has gone too far. Wyoming produces 40 percent of the U.S.’s coal with about 7,000 miners. “Knowledge work” pays well, but draws on a narrow population: How many lawyers and bankers do we need? Facebook Inc. is a remarkable innovator, but it employs only about 3,000 people to serve a customer base of more than 800 million. Personal services, such as restaurants and retail, pay poorly and rely on income streams from other sectors to pay at all.
    Henry Ford paid his workers $5 a day so they could afford to buy his cars. But they also patronized the grocers and carpenters of Detroit. We spent the last two decades paying our grocers and carpenters with cheap second mortgages -- a strategy bound to collapse.
    Any attempt at a manufacturing revival should respect Andy Grove’s core insight: that manufacturing is attracted to markets, and that employment is sustained by that interaction. The U.S. did not invent the original technologies of the automotive revolution; they were European. The first major American innovation, Charles Kettering’s self-starter, didn’t emerge until 1912. But the U.S. built the roads and created the markets on which Gottlieb Daimler’s and Rudolf Diesel’s engine technologies drove to scale.
    It is this interaction between innovation, markets and manufacturing that drives competitiveness, growth and employment. Oliver Kuttner, who won the X-Prize for his Edison 2 ultra-light vehicle, created it in Lynchburg, Virginia. Why? Because previous nuclear plants in the town had spawned a network of small workshops, places where people knew how to invent the new widgets that Kuttner needed. Those are the skills we need to “make it in America.”
    Long-Term Commitment
    Markets come first. If the U.S. would commit, long-term, to replacing our outmoded coal-electricity power with energy derived from wind and solar, new clean-energy companies would flock to manufacture in America.
    Applied Materials Inc. makes machinery for solar-panel factories. In 2009, the company made a proposal to the Obama administration: It would build solar factories in the U.S. if the government would set up “solar reserves” on unused federal reservations, and buy the power generated from the factories’ output. The new administration couldn’t, or wouldn’t, commit. Applied Materials then shifted much of its focus to China, moving top engineers there to follow the market, which enjoys robust support from the Chinese government. The U.S. still has more outdated, dirty energy to replace than any other country on Earth -- a huge opportunity for clean-energy manufacturing.
    To create markets, we must enforce trade agreements and insist on fair play. China has been stealing wind-turbine manufacturing by requiring 70 percent domestic content in its turbines. U.S. manufacturers like General Electric Co. make components in China solely to satisfy that demand. What is good for the Peking duck should be good for the American gander.
    In addition, we need to restructure the way we finance industry. Japan’s essentially 0 percent interest rates, and China’s dirt-cheap state-bank loans were key ingredients in the rise of Japanese autos and now of the Chinese solar industry. In the U.S., tax and finance policies still favor nonmanufacturing sectors, and protect sluggish incumbents by cutting off capital for companies and technologies that might disrupt them. In most American states, it’s still illegal for a manufacturing company to produce more clean electricity than it needs and sell the surplus -- the utilities enjoy virtual monopolies.
    Tax Help Needed
    At the least, the U.S. should provide clean-energy companies with the same tax-favorable investment structures that underwrite oil and gas development. The U.S.’s Advanced Energy Manufacturing Tax Credit, which is capped at $2.3 billion, is oversubscribed by a factor of three, revealing a hunger among clean-energy providers to manufacture in the U.S. The production tax credit for wind expires at the end of this year. On Nov. 15, the Governors’ Wind Energy Coalition, a bipartisan group of two dozen governors, sent a letter to Congress urging lawmakers to extend the tax credit. The letter pointed out that when “Congress allowed the tax credit to expire in 1999, 2001, and 2003, the development of new wind installations dropped significantly, between 73 percent and 93 percent, and thousands of jobs were lost.”
    Even when the policies are right, the implementation may not be. The key R&D tax credit is renewed for only two years at a time, keeping manufacturers, who account for 70 percent of the U.S.’s R&D, guessing about the future.
    The failure to support manufacturing has been exacerbated by a failure to make public investments at all. Total public spending on infrastructure in the U.S. has fallen steadily since the 1960s and now stands at 2.4 percent of gross domestic product. (In contrast, Europe invests 5 percent of its GDP on infrastructure, and China invests 9 percent.)
    Manufacturing jobs in the U.S. transportation sector have fallen from roughly 2 million positions in January 2000 to just over 1.4 million in December 2011. The refusal of Congress to pass long-term funding for rebuilding U.S. roads, bridges and transit systems will only accelerate that decline. Meanwhile, Korea, Japan and China continue to invest in high-speed rail, advanced automotive batteries and other strategic infrastructure.
    Our cultural worship of white-collar “knowledge” work has led the U.S. to underinvest in the skills and aptitudes of the hand. We have the best universities in the world, but not the best trained workforce. We applaud innovation and we hunger for jobs, but fail to understand their dependence on manufacturing, or that manufacturing itself is dependent on markets. Finance, markets, manufacturing, employment -- all thrive, or wither, depending on public policy. Manufacturing can still be revived in the U.S., but only Washington can make it happen. Only Washington.
    (Carl Pope is a former chairman of the Sierra Club. The opinions expressed are his own. Read Part 1 and 2 of the series.)

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

That was an interesting read, long but interesting.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Makes sense but it is against every bone in every R body. They are a strange bunch, okay for the states. Some things are too big for the states only. Pretty elementary isn't it.

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I can state it into one sentence! Obamacare!

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

We need to destroy it at once!

RoadFavorites$$$
    RoadFavorites$$$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

don't really care. I went to school and got a good job so I didn't have to beg for a manufacturing job.

12 Last