EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

The New NFL Postseason OT Rules

Seem Really Stupid.

Each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball unless the team that has the ball first scores a touchdown on its initial possession.

Play continues in sudden death until a winner is determined, and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) or when a score is awarded by the Referee for a palpably unfair act. Each team has three time-outs per half and all general timing provisions apply as during a regular game. The try is not attempted if a touchdown is scored. Disqualified players are not allowed to return.
    I don't understand why they went out of their way to add this into the rules. Isn't it still the same basic premise as the past ... whoever scores first .. wins? F-ing lawyer speak.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Prevents the team that won the coin toss from picking up a few first downs and kicking a FG.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Yes, but football is a turn-based sport. Each team should have a shot at scoring.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Should have just went with the college system. The change to whoever wins the coinflip has the edge to now... wait it's still the same fuking thing now.

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

I think each team should have the ball at least once in OT. Whether the first team that scores a fg or a td shouldn't matter. However, so glad to see the Steelers lose yesterday.

rjt721

You give up an 80-yd TD on the first play, you don't deserve the opportunity to respond.

ApricotSinner32

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    You give up an 80-yd TD on the first play, you don't deserve the opportunity to respond.
    You get knocked down in a fight the fight should automatically be over and should not have the opportunity to get up and respond.

rjt721

Patty, let's fight and find out.

ApricotSinner32

Not a fighter.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

its definitely an improvement to the previous rule

99/100 games would end the same way, team that gets ball first scrambles for a couple of first downs, kicks a field goal, game ends

now you actually have to get to the end zone if you want to win

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    Prevents the team that won the coin toss from picking up a few first downs and kicking a FG.
    Gotcha. I'd like to see stats on the old way and if it really is out of whack as some of you say. I think a variation of the college OT would be cool. I think the college OT sucks with how close they start. I think start 'em at the 50 in the pros and do the rest the same way as college.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    its definitely an improvement to the previous rule

99/100 games would end the same way, team that gets ball first scrambles for a couple of first downs, kicks a field goal, game ends

now you actually have to get to the end zone if you want to win
    Couldnt agree more

MTek
    MTek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2860

Agree. both teams should get the ball...at least at mid-field or further back.
    College kickers generally struggle from longer distances. Yesterdays kickers would have hit 50 yarders all day long
    also the way I understood yesterdays OT... is that if Denver or Pittsburgh DIDNT score a TD on their 1st possesion, but scored a TD on a later possesion the other team would have gotten the ball to try to tie it...the "sudden death" aspect is only in effect on a 1st possesion touchdown

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Still comes down to a coin filp... the nfl rules and game are a quarterback and offensive game if you win the coin flip you have over 50% shot of winning... now if the game was played 20 years ago when defenses could be aggressive then its a different story but the way the game is set up both teams should get the ball

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    You get knocked down in a fight the fight should automatically be over and should not have the opportunity to get up and respond.
    Steelers got KO'ed not knocked down.

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

New OT rules an improvement from old rules. The opportunity for both teams to get the rock at least once might be the way to go.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Yah it's a huge improvement. It took them way too long to adjust.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Seem Really Stupid. I don't understand why they went out of their way to add this into the rules. Isn't it still the same basic premise as the past ... whoever scores first .. wins? F-ing lawyer speak.
    I agree 100%, after denver scored i was wondering why doesnt pittsburgh get the ball, it basically still comes down to who wins the coinflip, dumb.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by ** PICKS View Post
    it basically still comes down to who wins the coinflip, dumb.
    That isn't the case at all. Why some of you are having trouble grasping the concept is kind of ridiculous.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Just remember if Pittsburgh had scored a defensive TD they would of won the game right away, And their offense would have never took the field or if Denver had fumble on their own 20 on the first play it would have been a easy FG win for Pittsburgh. So I think its fair that if the team scores a TD they should win the game.
    Points Awarded:

pavyracer gave Wrigley 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: pavyracer

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

it really does still come down to a coin flip.. in this day and age the game is made for points and tds.. I would say if you get ball first you still go a 60% chance or higher to win