shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Seriously, who live bets here a lot? Need help

Live betting might kill me

I was never really into this until about 6mths ago. I don't know how anyone does it constantly. I see so many live bet threads and posts on here. Yes it saves my bad bets or let's me win more on a good one but it really causes me stress. And of course I lose too. It's such a good tool but I don't handle the emotional part of it properly. Especially when I "save" a bet that bloody didn't need to be saved. What do I do? Just live bet and then not pay attention any more? Keep live betting constantly throughout the match/game? Ditch it altogether?

Need some tips please.

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

Live betting is often -EV due to the decreased odds offered.

You need a real edge to be making some of these wagers.

Shari, are you in over your head again? We need examples here.
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave Holtgetsback 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

I use live betting alot.

Some sites such as 188Bet or SBObet offer "in play" asian handicap betting on most sports, including NHL games.

With these sites if team A is ahead 2-0 and an asian handicap is offered it is booked with the current score not included in the bet.

You may see team A ahead 2-0 at -0.50 +100. The 2-0 score is not part of the bet, your bet is live on the remainder of the match.
    This can be confusing but once you understand the in play asian bets you'll find them useful in sports other than soccer.
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave betplom 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

What? Sounds like you're talking about having the restraint to not bet constantly throughout a game and getting frustrated when a line moves against you after you bet it.

Live is obviously about having a feel for the game. Choose the best spot and only make 1 bet. If it moves against you let it go

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Need seriously discipline and mathematics when live betting. I have neither when it comes to gambling. GL Shari
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave RubberKettle 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

today i did what I have done in the past...

I waited to see if Bengals could score first, then go live bet the Texans ML... after Bengals got a huge penalty then scored i checked it out and Texans were +100 to win str8 up... jumped on it as fast as I could.

Did the same with the Saints, waited to see if Lions could score first, then go bet the Saints... that worked out nicely too. Wish they would have lost tho

see, what i mean is... if Texans would have just scored first... then no live betting for me in that game. same for saints if they scored first... no live betting for me in that game.
    Last edited by ThaTopMoron; 01-07-12 at 11:39 PM.
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave ThaTopMoron 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Live wagering is very dangerous.

I stay away.
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave paco 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Make a number intuitively or otherwise before you refresh to see the live number. Bet relative to the closing number vs. the live number, relative to the game, and relative to other live numbers at other books to see if you have a good line. Loads of mistakes to exploit but it has to be quick
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave Sunde91 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Holtgetsback

keep firing shari. after you get an e-mail like this you have made it.

Dear Mr. **** Account: ******* This is just a quick note from the Sports team letting you know that we have identified suspicious betting patterns in your account. As a result, we are reducing your wagering limits in the Live software. You are more than welcome to continue wagering in Live but the maximum wager you will be able to place is $1.00.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Unless you are overexposed don't look at in-play bets as "hedging a bet that looks good" or "saving a bet that looks bad".

A bet made live should be looked at on it's own merits, does it have value in it's own right?

If you are looking to trade in-play set yourself an exposure limit and avoid temptation to go over that even if the book (or exchange) is still throwing numbers which appear to be off.
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave FourLengthsClear 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RubberKettle, shari91, and thirtytwo

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38361

Hey

maybe

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Holtgetsback View Post
    Live betting is often -EV due to the decreased odds offered.

You need a real edge to be making some of these wagers.

Shari, are you in over your head again? We need examples here.
    I live bet a lot if I'm actually watching a full day of tennis ie like today. I had wagers in that once the match started I didn't feel so shit hot about because it's the start of the year... you're kind of betting blind on some of these people. So I live bet out when I could get a decent price to either not eat any juice or only a bit. In one case, there was actually a profit. Yesterday there was a soccer match... early on in the match they offered under 7 corners for +125 I think it was when they were already at 3. So I jumped on it because it looked like (from my limited knowledge) that the teams weren't really getting a lot of scoring chances. I'd had a pre match bet on one team to win and the game ended in a draw. I still lost money because I bet less on the corners than the team but it saved some cash for me. That kind of thing. Mind you, this can also kill me and stress me out about shit that I wouldn't normally care about ie CORNERS.

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post
    I use live betting alot.

Some sites such as 188Bet or SBObet offer "in play" asian handicap betting on most sports, including NHL games.

With these sites if team A is ahead 2-0 and an asian handicap is offered it is booked with the current score not included in the bet.

You may see team A ahead 2-0 at -0.50 +100. The 2-0 score is not part of the bet, your bet is live on the remainder of the match.
    This can be confusing but once you understand the in play asian bets you'll find them useful in sports other than soccer.
    Yeah those I actually understand... I just don't bet either of those sports enough but I think that might be where it's most useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    What? Sounds like you're talking about having the restraint to not bet constantly throughout a game and getting frustrated when a line moves against you after you bet it.

Live is obviously about having a feel for the game. Choose the best spot and only make 1 bet. If it moves against you let it go
    It's not so much about restraint it's more about potentially burying yourself. Like I said, live betting helps me save bets... it's also helped save bets that didn't need saving because of momentum shifts. I'm probably looking for tips that don't exist. Maybe it's something that people just develop with time

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

what is a list of books USA guys have that offer some forms of live wagering

bookmaker

betdsi

add others...

RubberKettle

Shari do you live bet tennis if there is such a thing...

I bet that would be your thing.

Holtgetsback

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    Unless you are overexposed don't look at in-play bets as "hedging a bet that looks good" or "saving a bet that looks bad". A bet made live should be looked at on it's own merits, does it have value in it's own right? If you are looking to trade in-play set yourself an exposure limit and avoid temptation to go over that even if the book (or exchange) is still throwing numbers which appear to be off.
    Well said.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

love live betting killed it during bowl season so far..

oklahoma state was down 14-0... and was Plus 300 ... once they tied it up... stanford was +158 so gave u a chance to hedge..

clemson was up 7-0.. wvu was +230 and we saw how that turned out..

i only live bet if im watching the game and have a feel for the teams or like moron said when the dog jumps out to an early lead... at worse if your not getting plus money you will get a team that is minus 500 at like 175
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave ebbearsfb1 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

shari91

Holty, this book limited me on a type of tennis bet after I'd lost cash... but I don't think even they're silly enough to limit my live betting at this point. I'm definitely not down on it but I'm also not catching any good numbers or have made a truckload either.

Yes Rubber - 99.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    Make a number intuitively or otherwise before you refresh to see the live number. Bet relative to the closing number vs. the live number, relative to the game, and relative to other live numbers at other books to see if you have a good line. Loads of mistakes to exploit but it has to be quick
    Unless you are overexposed don't look at in-play bets as "hedging a bet that looks good" or "saving a bet that looks bad".

A bet made live should be looked at on it's own merits, does it have value in it's own right?

If you are looking to trade in-play set yourself an exposure limit and avoid temptation to go over that even if the book (or exchange) is still throwing numbers which appear to be off.
    Thank you.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

If gambling isn't fun, don't do it.

Totally get it about not enjoying the stress.

I live bet the Saints Lions game at bookmaker today. First time Ive tried it. Quite like the interface and how fast it works. But it feels like buying lottery tickets. After chasing my first loss four or five times I closed it and slapped my forehead.
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave Optional 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

shari91

And FLC, I think that's where my biggest frustration/stress is coming from. I know when I'm making some of these bets that there is no value - even with no calculation involved... even if they eventually hit. So I stress myself out waiting for the inevitable to prove me right which in something like tennis it has a chance to do many times throughout a match. Again, thank you. I really need to smarten up on this and learn at this point. Just couldn't find a lot of references on here so I thought I'd ask.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    And FLC, I think that's where my biggest frustration/stress is coming from. I know when I'm making some of these bets that there is no value - even with no calculation involved... even if they eventually hit. So I stress myself out waiting for the inevitable to prove me right which in something like tennis it has a chance to do many times throughout a match. Again, thank you. I really need to smarten up on this and learn at this point. Just couldn't find a lot of references on here so I thought I'd ask.
    Believe me, I know where you are coming from.

I often trade markets (Betfair) prior to kick-off and even though I nearly always start out trading without a lean (with the intention of green screening) it can often happen that I do end up with a substantial exposure.

My position at that time will generally (but not always) be +EV because even though the odds have shifted against me, I would have scalped 2 or 3 ticks 20 or 30 times.

Even now, the desire to 'square' my position once the match goes in-play is still there even though I have been doing this for many years.
    Last edited by FourLengthsClear; 01-08-12 at 12:37 AM.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

very tough-rarely live bet

numbers sharp and juiced to sh1t

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

lose my ass regularly live betting at bet365 Shari

Can't help myself though

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

move this thread to the saloon, i find it offensive

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Believe me, I know where you are coming from. I often trade markets (Betfair) prior to kick-off and even though I nearly always start out trading without a lean (with the intention of green screening) it can often happen that I do end up with a substantial exposure. My position at that time will generally (but not always) be +EV because even though the odds have shifted against me, I would have scalped 2 or 3 ticks 20 or 30 times. Even now, the desire to 'square' my position is still there even though I have been doing this for many years.
    Delete this post guy and PM Shari

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    what is a list of books USA guys have that offer some forms of live wagering

bookmaker

betdsi

add others...
    I wasn't ignoring you trycubed but I'm dealing with bet365 at the moment. Used to be Betfair. I'm not in the US right now so unfortunately I don't have any proper experience with the others but hopefully the other guys can tell you

RubberKettle

Everyone post your live bets in this thread

The live betting options are so limited in the US

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Delete this post guy and PM Shari
    Yeah I know right? Kind of sickening to have people give actual advice in a PT thread - everyone who responded other than ykw - and the info is going to help inspire me to learn again. When my friends first told me about SBR, I never signed up.... spent the first year reading Ganchrow and all the other stuff I could find in the TT and trying to actually understand it, not just memorise it. Plus obviously reading PT stuff but I really wanted to read what people had to say in ways that a nitwit like me could understand - which someone like Ganch is great for. And I was lucky to have a group of people around me who all pitched in time to collect and interpret stats, etc... but I honestly never thought about live betting. I've been treating it more like pure gambling or pure ass saving maybe. So wrong. I need to figure this out before I ever make another live bet. I'm rather embarrassed now at how lazy I've been.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Live betting is easily my favorite and strong point when it comes to sports betting.....I am very good at picking up on momentum, how teams are adjusting, what's good value relative to how the game is playing out, etc.....Sucks though I have been with a local for my real bets and keep small funds online so right now I am not taking full advantage

The key is to not overdue it......if you have trouble constantly feeling like you need to win your money back or always want to press your luck I wouldn't even bother fukking around with live betting.....it's like crack to the degenerate.......Such an easy way to get buried if you have no control

If you can keep yourself under control, the hedging, scalping, and middle opportunities are endless, especially in basketball games where even shit teams can go on big runs

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

In games like Baylor vs Washington you could live bet on which team was going to score next. The correct answer to that problem was whichever team had the ball. I think live betting is more suited to people who watch the events that already have a good feel for what might happen next. In tennis I would find it difficult to see an advantage, because I suck at tennis and don't watch it very often. I think people should know the sport they plan to bet live on, and they should be watching it also. Sometimes the algorithms books use to determine the odds don't factor in the pace of a game, because they are just made to spit out numbers based on how much time is left and what the current score is. Even if two teams drove down the field and fumbled the ball on the other teams 1 yard line, the computer doesn't factor that in, and might give you a lower total based on a 0-0 scoreline despite having 198 yards of total offense on 2 drives. it doesn't always work like that, but there is a human element that computers can't reach.
    Last edited by FindTheLock; 01-08-12 at 01:20 AM.

Monte
    Monte's Avatar Become A Pro!

You can win with live betting at exchanges, Matchbook had some good lines for ppl who can spot them..but that's a thing of the past ofc.
    You can't win at books, either they know what they are doing = no chance, higher juice as well.
    Or they don't, in which case you will get limited or screwed.