jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Is Live Betting For Suckers??

Thoughts????????

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Exploitable if you come up with a solid strategy. Can be hard to beat if you lose focus as you are often making quick decisions which could lead to making bad decisions if you're judgement is clouded by tilt.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I stopped 'live' betting when I got a jump on one book and they voided the bet after the game

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

You can beat every closing line if you want to, would that make you a winner?

I don't know.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Just like everything else -- if you can do it in a disciplined fashion, it's a wonderful tool.

If you just degen up like most of us, it can whittle away your bankroll.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Works great when dog gets a big lead.. been able to guarantee profit last few days heats/bobcats... nd/fsu baylor/wash...

jjgold

It seems you need to watch the game if your going to bet it live

Tough even with live scoring on internet to get an accurate opinion on game flow

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Its a book keeping ploy more than anything, helps books with a lot of volume they cant baalnce out throw make believe lines up to try and sucker people out of money.

Books have every advantage with live lines, they get massive vig, they can hold plays in limbo before they decide what to do, they can even void plays after all that.

Some guys will claim that you can find an advantage using math when certain teams have certain leads, but rest assured if there is a time in a game where the outcome is really advantageous the price will be higher than the probability. But in games where dogs go out to early leads in basketball games for instance it is sometimes a nice shot to take on the favorite, especially if the dog was getting steamed late before tip off. I think Lakers were -110 at one point early in that game after they opened -190, and NY got bet so that Lakers were around -170 before tip off. Quick start for Knicks made Lakers a continued bet against. Books made a killing off that game I imagine.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    Its a book keeping ploy more than anything, helps books with a lot of volume they cant baalnce out throw make believe lines up to try and sucker people out of money.

Books have every advantage with live lines, they get massive vig, they can hold plays in limbo before they decide what to do, they can even void plays after all that.

Some guys will claim that you can find an advantage using math when certain teams have certain leads, but rest assured if there is a time in a game where the outcome is really advantageous the price will be higher than the probability. But in games where dogs go out to early leads in basketball games for instance it is sometimes a nice shot to take on the favorite, especially if the dog was getting steamed late before tip off. I think Lakers were -110 at one point early in that game after they opened -190, and NY got bet so that Lakers were around -170 before tip off. Quick start for Knicks made Lakers a continued bet against. Books made a killing off that game I imagine.
    Just because books make a killing off of something does not mean it's not explotable. Books make a killing off of everything but there are still people who win/ have profitable strategies.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

great tool to have at your disposal.

jjgold

Tennis/Individual sports there could be some value
    I got buried last night chasing Okl City and Knicks just because it was offered

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It seems you need to watch the game if your going to bet it live

Tough even with live scoring on internet to get an accurate opinion on game flow
    Exactly.. don't live bet unless u can get a feel for the game

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

And Sarkison burning clock running the ball getting 2 yards a clip

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

It's tough at times its very beatable if your paying attention to the momentum of the game

I got Fukin buried last night by UW only scoring 7 in the 4th needed 11 points from them

Wanted to kill that fat o linemen who fumbled the kickoff return

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Markets are less efficient and are therefore more open to exploitation.

Exchanges are the ideal platform but even with traditional books you will see far more arbitrage spots in-play than pre-match and, by definition, there are more +EV spots.

With that said if you cannot spot +EV bets pre-match, you are unlikely to be a live betting guru either.

TodayIsForgotten
    TodayIsForgotten's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 615

Love live betting. If you're disciplined (can be hard at times) its a great way to make some extra bucks. I firmly believe its crucial to watch the game on tv or via feed. If you are intuitive its easy to spot momentum swings. I don't bet huge on live but i have made a pretty penny off it over the last 6 years.

Forget looking for constant ev or ev+ lines. If you keep that mindset in life you're going to be selective. Making money takes risks. Can't always be balanced.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Bottom line is books are offering it, so therefore theyre making money off it. Books dont let people bet with them out of the kindness of their hearts they want to make money. Watching how all of them change rules or odds or pay out formats should tell you that much. Hell most wont give more than one free pay out a month, some dont give any and charge you both coming and going.

jjgold

Seem like live betting is geared more towards soccer and tennis

Only low juice live places are Pinnacle and Asian Books for Soccer

Sdotbold
    Update your status
    Sdotbold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Sometimes the quick bets can kill ya. All in all I think I do ok with the live betting. Was much better when I could use matchbook. But live betting on 5dimes is the best live betting for being an American.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Seem like live betting is geared more towards soccer and tennis

Only low juice live places are Pinnacle and Asian Books for Soccer
    .............. and Betfair/Betdaq.

Pinnacle really doesn't offer true live betting at all.

Bet365 have easily the the most beatable in-play lines but they are from a -120 base and beating them normally means being shown the door.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Just like everything else -- if you can do it in a disciplined fashion, it's a wonderful tool.

If you just degen up like most of us, it can whittle away your bankroll.
    That's it right there. If you're disciplined and watching the flow of the game, it can be a great tool. I use it from time to time with small amounts just to have a little action, but what I really like it for is betting o/u especially NFL. It's good when you feel an o/u line is a little too sharp or think you can get a better number live.

Last year's Superbowl is a good example, I thought it would go over, but didn't like the line. I waited for live betting and sure enough it dropped like a rock, got the line at o/u39 and hammered the crap out of it. The game would have covered regardless, but felt much more comfortable and didn't have to sweat the end of the game.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I doubt books would offer it -- especially in such extensive fashion like 5Dimes -- if they were losing money.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    .............. and Betfair/Betdaq.

Pinnacle really doesn't offer true live betting at all.

Bet365 have easily the the most beatable in-play lines but they are from a -120 base and beating them normally means being shown the door.
    betdaq really does not have much action, it has not grown much

Surprised Pinnacle does not get a better wagering platform and offer true live betting
    Seems like theya re ancient to other books now even though there juice cannot be beat in most cases